How to Toast Bread in the oven is a simple cooking method that once mastered can be used for appetizers, soups and more! Make toast, crostini, bruschetta, pita chips or toast points!
Crispy, crunchy, toasted bread not only smells amazing, it also forms the basis for many a recipe!
Whilst I am a fan of a quick piece of fruit toast for an on the run breakfast, I find time and time again that the oven is the best way to toast bread!
Nothing beats the crunch of a homemade oven baked pita chip as it is bitten into with a dollop of your fav dip on the end!
Use freshly toasted bread (torn apart) is what makes our Panzanella Salad sensationally delicious as the soft fluffy bread also sops up the vinegar dressing!
Can I use the oven to toast bread?
You can use the oven to toast bread easily. It often results in more thoroughly toasted bread with a greater consistency than the toaster and no squashed or undercooked bits.
Using the oven to toast bread allows you to cook more slices than you can fit in a toaster, have more 'hot' toast ready at the same time or make countless recipes that call for toasted bread.
Let alone avoids the dreaded bite into a piece of fruit toast from freezer to toaster with bits still frozen amongst!
How do you toast bread in a conventional oven?
The best way to toast bread in a conventional oven can be explained in 4 simple steps:
- Preheat the oven
- Lay bread slices flat on lined baking tray
- Spray bread with cooking oil
- Place bread in oven and toast for 10 mins
The above 4 step method works across a number of bread types, shapes and sizes. The best thing is it works, every single time!
How do you toast a piece of bread?
You can toast a piece of bread in a standard toaster. This is a quick method and is good if you are in a hurry.
If you have a little bit more time and want an overall better result, I recommend using an oven and the above 4 step method to toast bread.
How do you make the best toast?
To make the best toast, you need to explore a couple of different ideas as for simple toast toppings!
You might like to try:
- Crostini with Olive Tapenade
- Pita Chips with Rocket and Cashew Pesto
- Toasted Bruschetta with Caprese and Balsamic Glaze
- Cheese and tomato on toast
- Toasted bread for salad like the Panzanella Salad
- Homemade Croutons
- Toast for dipping in soups
Once you master this simple easy cooking method, you will be eating toast for breakfast, lunch and dinner!
Or you can make a quick appetizer like the Roasted Olives and simply use a baguette toasted for serving!
Toasting bread in the oven (How to guide)
All you need is your favourite bread and some cooking oil!
Step 1 - Bread slices on lined baking tray (Photo above)
- Lay your bread flat (no overlap or double pieces) on a lined baking tray
Silicon mats are a great alternative to baking paper as they are reuseable and dishwasher friendly (win, win!)
Step 2 - Spray bread with cooking oil (Photo above)
The cooking oil helps to get the bread extra crispy, crunchy and delicious!
You can use canola spray (my fav) or olive oil spray (more expensive).
If using canola spray you will notice it will fluff up and turn white like in the photo above. If using olive oil spray it will have a clearer, less visible appearance.
Step 3 - Freshly toasted bread from oven (Photo above)
How long to toast bread in the oven?
Bread will be toasted to a light golden colour in 10 mins. Keep an eye on it so it doesn't burn and if desired flip to other side halfway through.
If making Bruschetta and loading it with delicious toppings, I tend to only toast the one side of the bread.
How to toast bread in the oven quick info:
About the recipe:
- we only need 2 ingredients for perfectly toasted bread!
- you can use your favorite bread
- it is best to preheat the oven to begin
- spray oil helps to achieve crispy toast
FAQs about Toast made in a conventional oven
- you can toast more bread than using a standard 2 slice toaster
- the baking tray is handy as you can pull it out to flip the bread
- you make make toast ahead of time (eg toast points)
- if you want warm/hot toast make at time of serving
- the oven is a moderate temperature
Your quick questions answered:
- This is a super quick try and tested method!
- The bread will toast without the oil but will be less crunchy
- You don't need to use butter, the oil is fine!
- 10 mins is enough cook time to cook most standard breads
The above photo is to give you an idea of the different techniques you can use to toast your bread.
I use toast bread like this for bulking up salads and you can easily make your own homemade croutons in the oven, saving you the trip to the supermarket!
These tips are to help you master this recipe from the 1st time you make it:
- ensure the bread slices are a little spread apart from each other
- if toasting pita bread for chips, it is best to add salt, your favorite dried herb (teaspoon) and flip halfway
- for bruschetta, it is fine to toast only the side you will top
- if toasting bread for toast points, don't salt, but do flip halfway.
What to use Oven Toasted Bread for:
There are SO many ways to use oven toasted bread and here is a couple for you to try:
- As a way to spread Chicken Liver Pate for serving
- Easy Green Olive Tapenade and toast points on the side
- Grazing Platter (with pita chips for dunking)
- Make crunchy crackers for the Labneh Dip
- Toast a French stick to serve the Roasted Olives
- Try a light brunch like the Grilled Chicken Bruschetta
Or to bulk out a salad toast bread in the oven for the Panzanella Salad or to serve with the Burrata Salad.
How to Toast Bread in the Oven
- Conventional oven
- Baking tray
- Silicon mat
How to Toast Bread in the Oven
- 6 slices whole meal bread Note 1
- cooking spray Note 2
How to Toast Bread in the Oven
- Preheat your oven to 180°C / 350-375°F / Gas Mark 4-5
- Lay bread slices flat on lined baking tray and spray with cooking oil
- Place baking tray into the oven and toast bread for 10 mins (colour will be golden and texture firm to the touch). Note 3
- Flip bread after 5 mins using kitchen tongs and toast other side (if desired)
- Serve immediately or once cool store in sealed plastic container for later use
- Note 1 This is my favourite bread to toast but you can choose your favourite! Try multigrain, sourdough, rye, a baguette (french stick)
- Note 2 I have used a variety of cooking sprays during my cooking years. There is much of a muchness to them. Basically, cheap is ok, olive oil or canola is ok and don't use it near a gas stove top at all.
- Note 3 The colour and texture are the best ways to tell that the bread is toasted. Use an oven mit to slide the baking tray out and gently press the tip of a finger onto the bread slice, it will bounce back once you lift your finger when ready.
Oven Toasted Bread ideas
Well my friends, I wanted to open you up to a whole new world with this post.
Whilst it seems easy enough to toast bread in the toaster, I highly recommend my oven method if you have the time.
You will learn how to make perfectly crispy toast in the oven every time you make it and get your crunch on!
Try out all the ways to use your toasted bread or keep it super simple making toast for big breakfasts or PB and J on weekends!
Let me know if you have any questions, I would love to hear your feedback in the comments below.