Labneh Dip (Labne) with homemade pita chips is the best ever easy dip for entertaining! This yoghurt cheese is a healthy option with a smooth and creamy texture!
Entertaining can be fun and easy with recipes like our Olive Tapenade recipes. Quick recipes like our Rocket and Cashew Pesto and our Easy Crostini can be done on their own or as part of our Grazing Platter Board.
Chips and dip, is there any better snack combination?
Yoghurt cheese is a great option as it has a creamy texture and you can make it at home easily! Aussies say 'yoghurt', but is also commonly known as 'yogurt'.
Appetizer recipes Popular recipes Quick and Easy recipes
What is Labneh made of?
Labneh is made from Greek Yoghurt.
The yoghurt is strained of its liquids and the process results in a smooth and creamy cheese yoghurt known as labneh or labne.
What is the difference between labneh and yoghurt?
Yoghurt is what is used to make labneh. It has a much more wet texture and appearance.
Labneh has a lovely texture and is smoother, creamier and firmer than yoghurt.
You can make labneh from yoghurt but hanging it so the liquid drains from the yoghurt.
How healthy is labneh?
Labneh is a healthy choice for a dip or spread as it is full of probiotics.
Because labneh has less fat than oily creamy dips, labneh is a great healthy option with a texture that is perfect for dipping!
How do I make labneh from scratch?
To make lanbeh from scratch, you place Greek Yoghurt into cheesecloth, suspend it and let the liquids (whey) drain out.
This process takes at least 10 hours, so leaving it in the fridge overnight is a great option!
Labneh Dip ingredients
We use simple, easy to find ingredients for this recipe. The photo below shows you what you need:
As you can see, we have:
- Greek yoghurt
- sesame seeds
The sesame seeds are not used in the dip, but as a garnish on top for texture and flavour
How to make Labne Dip
The photos below are step by step showing you how to make the labneh.
- Lay cheesecloth over a medium sized bowl (Photo 1)
- Place Greek yoghurt into the middle of the cheesecloth(Photo 2)
- Bring the ends of the cloth together and tie so yoghurt can be hung (Photo 3)
- Suspend yoghurt over a bowl for 10 hours or overnight (Photo 4)
The liquid will drain from the yoghurt, the labneh is formed when the yoghurt is firm to the touch
- remove labneh from the fridge and place on a plate (Photo 5 and 6)
- use scissors to cut the kitchen string and open the cheesecloth (Photo 7 and 8
Once the liquid has drained from the yoghurt, you are left with yoghurt cheese. As you can see it is a pretty magical process!
You are going to want to get your dunk on for this right away, so have some Homemade Pita Chips ready and get in there!
This recipe was inspired by a Donna Hay Cookbook.
Labneh Dip quick info:
About the recipe:
- the yoghurt cheese is made from 1 ingredient!
- garnish with as many toppings as you like
- it will take at least 10 hours for the liquid to drain
- I use full fat Greek Yoghurt
FAQs about Labneh Dip
- this is a vegetarian recipe
- suspend the yoghurt so it is not touching the base of the bowl
- serve with crispy pita chips and or veggies sticks
- store in the fridge for 1 week in a sealed container
- this recipe makes 2 cups of labne
Your quick questions answered:
- This is an easy recipe
- You do need time for the yoghurt cheese to develop
- the texture is smooth and creamy
Make your labneh the star of the show on a Dip Platter.
These tips are to help you master this recipe from the 1st time you make it:
- use 2 layers of cheesecloth
- tie the cheesecloth together and leave a little string on the end so you can use it to hang the cheese
- ensure the yoghurt is off the base of the bowl so it is not sitting in liquid
- the cheese will be ready once it is firm, you can test it with the tip of your finger
😍 More Easy Dip Recipes
- Chicken Liver Pate
- Rocket and Cashew Pesto
- Black Olive Tapenade
- Easy Green Olive Tapenade
- Sun-Dried Tomato Tapenade
Serve your labneh dip as part of a Grazing Platter Board for dipping, snacking and grazing away the weekend! This dip pairs well with Mediterranean flavours so serve with Artichoke Olive Tapenade and a small bowl of olives.
Chips and Dip
Everybody loves chips and dip.
They are a universal combo that has a fun snacky-friendship, hang out vibe to them.
I've got your snack attacks COVERED with this labneh dip and your E (entertaining) game sorted.
Let me know if you have any questions, I would love to hear your feedback in the comments below.
Hunger still got you? You can SUBSCRIBE to receive the latest recipes, follow me on Pinterest, Instagram or Facebook.
- Mixing bowl
- Cheesecloth Note 1
- 1 kg Greek Yoghurt
- sesame seeds to garnish
- parsley to garnish
Labneh Dip with Homemade Pita Chips
- Line a mixing bowl with layers of cheesecloth Note 1
- Transfer Greek Yoghurt into centre of cheese cloth
- Use kitchen string to tie cheesecloth together and suspend over a bowl (without it touching the base) for 10 hours or overnight.
- Remove from fridge, use scissors to cut the string, pull back cheesecloth and gentle remove labneh.
- Place in bowl, serve with toasted pita chips and top with toasted sesame seeds and parsley to garnish.
- Note 1 Cheesecloth is a popular cheese making material. You can purchase it at cooking stores and for the Aussies reading this, I get mine from Spotlight. I have also used Chux (clean) when making paneer, this will work too.
- Note 2 I lay my 2 layers of cheesecloth in opposite directions, so the weave overlaps.
Such an easy recipe. Perfect for dipping with your choice crackers or toasted flat bread.
I couldn't believe how easy it was to make! Low effort and high reward, because the flavor was so nice. I'll definitely make this again, and hopefully serve it for a party, someday, when we can do that again.
I've never tried labneh dip before, but I need to after reading this recipe! Especially with your homemade pita chips!
Thanks Zainab! Hope you enjoy it Cheers