Grilled Chicken Bruschetta is quick and easy to prepare and perfect for brunch! This chicken bruschetta on bread is a light meal full of flavor.
Recipes like my Roast Chicken Salad and Slow Cooker Lemon Garlic Chicken make cooking with chicken a breeze!
My Garlic Pizza Bread is a similar kind of yum and able to be served as an appetizer or main!
How long do you grill chicken breast
Grill the chicken breast for approximately 4-5 mins each side, for a total cook time of around 10 mins.
We cut the chicken breast in half for this recipe (to make it thinner and more palatable).
The best pan to use is a grill or skillet with the grill base as it allows the chicken to sear evenly and cook thoroughly on each side.
If you don't have a grill, you can use a flat fry pan or skillet, you won't get the traditional 'grill' like look to the chicken but it does still do the job!
A pair of tongs will be a handy addition to your kitchen as you can use them to place the chicken into the pan, as well as using them to turn the chicken (flip) half way through the cook time.
What do you serve with bruschetta
Bruschetta is an extremely versatile recipe and can be loaded with just about anything!! Using either vegetarian or meat based ingredients, the trick is to bring together flavour and texture.
My Bruschetta with feta and Caprese Bruschetta recipes are vegetarian and a great alternative to meat based varieties.
You can also try toppings such as:
- rocket (arugula)
- red pesto
Read my How to Toast Bread in the Oven guide for tips and tricks on getting the bread perfectly toasted!
The ingredients for this recipe are simple and easy to find at the local shops. They are set out in the photo below so you can see exactly what you need:
As you can see, we have:
- chicken breast: I recommend using free range chicken. We use skinless chicken breasts and cut in half length ways. The great thing about this recipe is that a little chicken goes a long way.
- wholemeal bread: you can use your favorite bread, be it rye, sourdough, multigrain or spelt. I recommend nice thick slices to bite into!
- grape tomatoes: for a little variety, I am using orange grape tomatoes. You can also use standard red cherry tomatoes if you wish.
- basil leaves: these are ideal for a flavour boost! The freshness of the herbs is a delightful compliment to the chicken and bread and its a great combination where they all partner well
- bocconcini: these are the small white round cheese balls you see in the photos. You will find these either in the deli section or the fridge area with the other cheeses. They will be in a little tub. The liquid from the rub can simply be discarded when you open it.
- shallots: these bring another great flavour to the recipe. We use them like a garnish, sprinkled on top of the chicken and bread.
- salt and pepper: to season the chicken
- basil pesto: we use this as a layer on the bread to help all of the ingredients stick and bring another depth of flavour. I use the store bought dip version in the cold section.
- balsamic glaze (optional drizzle, not shown above): this is an ingredient that cannot be complimented enough! With a subtle punchy tang, it will draw every other ingredient together with great gusto.
The bread gets toasted to perfection and creates the 'crunch factor' when we bite into our bruschetta!
You can switch up the ingredients here also, check out the Caprese Bruschetta or Bruschetta with Feta for fuss free, easy to get your hands on alternatives!
Here are the step by step instructions to make the recipe. We start by preparing the skinless chicken breast, you will need a knife and chopping board.
- slice the chicken breast in halve lengthways (Photo 1)
- combine the olive oil (Photo 2)
- Italian herbs (Photo 3)
- salt and pepper (Photo 4)
The Italian herbs add a delicious flavour to the chicken breast and are such a simple addition.
We don't marinade the chicken for any length of time, we simply brush with the seasoned oil and cook, it is that simple!
Grilled bruschetta chicken instructions
- Stir together the seasoning for the chicken (Photo 5)
- use a pastry brush to coat the chicken with the seasoned oil (Photo 6)
- then use kitchen scissors/shears to chop the basil (Photo 7)
- use a knife to cut the tomatoes in half (Photo 8)
The basil, cherry tomatoes and boccocini is a simple 3 ingredient salad with contrasting flavours and textures.
If you can't find bocconcini, grab mozzarella balls instead!
- slice bocconcini in halves (Photo 9)
- combine the salad ingredients (Photo 10)
- spray the bread with cooking oil and toast in the oven (Photo 11)
- grill the chicken (Photo 12)
The bread will take approximately 3-4 mins in the oven. It is best to preheat the oven as it will crisp up the bread very quickly.
What is grilled chicken
Grilled chicken is simply that which has been cooked on a grill. As opposed to deep frying, air frying or baking, grilling is a quick method with satisfying results.
The chicken breast needs to cook for approximately 4-5 mins on each side. So cook one side, then flip to the other side. If in doubt about it being cooked through, use a skewer to pierce the widest part and ensure the juices run clear (not pink).
Alternatively you can use a thermometer to test the internal temperature of the chicken.
- There is 9 total ingredients for this recipe! (salt and pepper = 1)
- You can substitute rocket or spinach leaves for the basil
- You can make 6-8 slices of chicken bruschetta with this recipe
- Cut your bread thin for less carbs or thick for a hearty piece of toast!
Frequently asked questions
What is chicken bruschetta made of?
Chicken bruschetta is made of a combination of chicken breast, tomatoes, herbs, shallots, pesto, bread, bocconcini and balsamic glaze.
These ingredients can be substituted with others, such as using feta for the cheese, rocket instead of basil or chives in place of the shallots.
What meal goes well with bruschetta?
Bruschetta can be a meal on its own or paired with other meals for a complete feast!
You can serve it on the side of spaghetti, fettucine, cannelloni or with a simple salad.
What can I put on bruschetta besides bread?
There are many versatile ingredients that work on bruschetta.
Try feta, mozzarella balls, parmesan, prosciutto, roasted vegetables, herbs and a variety of sauces!
The trick is to keep it light, fresh and closer to healthy than not!
Can you eat bruschetta raw?
The ingredients that top the bread for the bruschetta can be raw or cooked.
It is best for the bread itself to be toasted as it gives that unmistakable crunchy deliciousness to it.
If wanting to keep it simple and limit the cooking involved in making the bruschetta, try using cured meats which can be used as is as they come pre cooked.
These tips are to help you master this recipe from the 1st time you make it:
- use a chopping board, to slice the breast from one end to the other
- use a pastry brush to coat the chicken before grilling
- ensure you have tongs handy to flip the chicken breast halfway during cooking
- slice your bread thin or thick, toast thin bread for a little long so it is super crispy and firm!
- prep the salad ingredients in advance and don't pour over the balsamic glaze till you are ready to serve!
This is the perfect weekend food! It is fresh, tasty and goes down a treat.
More Chicken recipes
If you love cooking with chicken, you will enjoy these recipe ideas:
- Easy Butter Chicken
- Thai Chicken Pizza
- Chicken Noodle Stir Fry
- Honey Mustard Chicken Thighs
- Chili Lime Chicken Wings
- Honey Soy Chicken Stir Fry
- Slow Cooker Lemon Garlic Chicken
These dishes, are tasty, easy and full of protein! They keep you full and satisfied! My chicken recipes are all in the one spot.
You won't want to eat out on the weekends when you are whipping this up from your own kitchen!!
PIN and save this recipe for later!
Want to be friends? You can SUBSCRIBE to receive the latest recipes, follow me on Pinterest, Instagram or Facebook.
Grilled Chicken Bruschetta
- Baking tray
- Mixing bowl
- Chopping board
- Small bowl for drizzle
- 1 chicken breast Note 1
- 4 slices wholemeal sourdough Note 2
- 200 grams orange cherry tomatoes Note 3
- 200 grams bocconcini drained, Note 4
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- 4 shallots
- balsamic vinegar to serve
- Preheat your oven to 180°C / 350-375°F / Gas Mark 4-5
- Line a baking tray with foil and spray with oil
- Use a knife and chopping board to cut the chicken breast in halves, lengthways.
- Combine olive oil, Italian herbs, salt and pepper in a small bowl, stir to combine
- Use a pastry brush to coat each side of the chicken breast with the seasoned oil
- Turn a fry pan or skillet, or griddle to a medium heat, place the chicken onto the base of the pan and cook for approx 4-5 mins each side
- Turn stove off when chicken is cooked and allow to rest before slicing
- Use kitchen scissors to chop the basil into small pieces
- Use a knife to cut the cherry tomatoes in halves
- Use a knife to cut the bocconcini in half
- Combine chopped basil, cheery tomatoes and bocconcini in a medium bowl and stir together Note 5
- Place bread slices onto prepared tray and toast in the oven for approx 5 mins (until bread is toasted
- Use oven mits to remove baking tray from the oven and set aside.
- Use a knife to cut the chicken into pieces
- Use a butter knife to spread basil pesto onto each slice of toasted bread
- Spoon salad onto each slice of bread on top of basil pesto layer
- Place cooked chicken pieces on top of salad
- Drizzle with balsamic glaze to serve
- Note 1 I always use free range chicken and recommend you do as well. It is only slightly more expensive.
- Note 2 You can use your favourite bread. Wholemeal is a good one to make it extra healthy, same for mulitgrain. I have also made this several times with white bread. There is no right or wrong for bread flavour, however, do try and get a loaf of bread that is a little more fancy than ordinary slice sandwich bread - cafe style.
- Note 3 Orange or red cherry tomatoes work well for this recipe. Whichever you can get your hands on will be fine!
- Note 4 Bocconcini or mozzarella are fine, use whichever you can most easily find!
- Note 5 Sometimes at this point, I drilled a little more olive oil, salt and pepper over the salad ingredients, before stirring to combine. It is not an essential step but does add an extra dimension to the flavour if you want to take this step.
Published Oct 2020, updated with more tips Jan 2022.
Rachi Fernandopulle says
Yummy. Love good entertaining ideas this summer. Great work
This is such a delicious lunch, packed full of flavour and healthy too! Yum!