Garlic Pizza Bread is a garlicky delicious kind of yum. With a quick cook time and everyday ingredients, you will love the simplicity of this recipe. Cheesy garlic pizza is fuss free, effortless and seriously delicious.
My Air Fryer Portobello Mushroom Pizza give us non 'I'm too full pizza' options.
🤍 Recipe Highlights
Of the many reasons why you will love this recipe, I have summarised the main highlights below to tick all of your boxes!
- Appetizer or main: this is the type of recipe that has multiple serving options. You can serve it as a starter, an appetizer, side or main dish.
- Versatile: the pizza will lend itself to being served with a side salad, a pizza in its own right or a bread shared in the centre of the table.
- Quick and easy: the thin pizza base and minimal thick pizza toppings ensures that the pizza not only comes together in a super fast fashion, but it also cooks quickly, getting it done in no time!
- Vegetarian: with a simple combination of ingredients such as herbs, butter and garlic, this recipe has cheese as the main protein and a carby delicious yum to it from the chewy pizza dough.
- Serving suggestion: whilst perfect to serve as is from the oven, you can pimp it up ever so slightly with the simple use of a drizzle of balsamic glaze. This provides additional flavour with minimal effort.
Better yum: store bought frozen garlic bread works wonders for recipes where you want to drown it in spaghetti sauce. This recipe is for when you want garlic yum without eating a loaf of bread at the same time!
The photo below is to show you everything you need to make the recipe. Refer to the printable recipe card for exact measurements.
As you can see, the recipe calls for:
- Pizza dough: if you want to save yourself time and effort, use store bought and simply roll to the shape you want. As opposed to pita bread as a substitute, naan bread is the better option as it has the thicker dough texture which pita bread does not.
- Garlic: no suprises here that we need a reasonable amount of garlic for this pizza bread! I recommend using fresh cloves, not minced garlic and trimming the ends before adding them to the food processor as a means to finely dice.
- Butter: I recommend using regular unsalted butter. I chop it into cubes before adding it to the food processor as a means to enable it to blitz easier.
- Fresh herbs: I use a combination of curly and flat leaf parsley to make the recipe. We simply need to rinse the herbs then trim them and add them to the garlic to make the butter.
- Parmesan cheese: this is a strong, bold flavoured cheese that has a little bite to it. Freshly grated is best if you have the time.
- Tasty cheese: I also use a little tasty cheese (mozzarella or cheddar work too). This adds a bit of protein to the recipe and a nice mild cheese flavour pairing well with the parmesan cheese.
Serving Suggestion: balsamic glaze has a thick consistency and will be found with the vinegars in the supermarket. It is the perfect ingredient to drizzle over the pizza for a simple and elegant serving idea.
Here are the step by step instructions to make the recipe. We start by making the garlic butter and I recommend using a food processor for this.
- Add garlic to food processor (Photo 1)
- Blitz then add butter and combine (Photo 2)
- Add mixed parsley (Photo 3)
- Blitz to combine (Photo 4)
👩🍳 How to Make Garlic Pizza Bread
Start by preparing the garlic and herb butter. Add the garlic cloves to the bowl of a food processor and blitz to finely dice.
Then add the butter, combine and finally the herbs. Pulse to bring together into a garlic butter mixture.
Transfer this to a heatproof jug and set aside briefly.
The next step is to roll the pizza dough or place it on a tray if using a store bought ready made pizza base.
- Roll the pizza dough and place on baking tray (Photo 5)
- Melt garlic butter ever so slightly in microwave (Photo 6)
- Brush the garlic butter over the pizza dough (Photo 7)
- Grate both cheeses over the garlic butter mixture (Photo 8)
Using a rolling pin, mat and small amount of flour, roll the pizza bread into a round shape.
The next step is to use the microwave to slightly melt the garlic butter. This is so that it is soft and spreadable as opposed to firm and too hard to spread.
Microwave for only 30 seconds, and stir to ensure the butter is melted. Then use a pastry brush to delicately coat the pizza dough with the garlic butter mixture.
Once coated, grate the parmesan and tasty cheeses over the garlic butter.
Then place into the oven for 15 minutes to cook!
You will find that as the pizza has very limited (and non thick) toppings, it will cook much faster than a fully loaded supreme pizza!
Keep an eye on it and it will be done in around 15 mins.
Once it is cooked, remove it from the oven, place on a timber board, let cool for 2 mins so the cheese can firm slightly, then use a pizza wheel to slice.
🍽 Serving Suggestions
You, me and a bottle on Pinot Gris! Haha but seriously that and a little balsamic glaze is all you need for this one.
👍 How to Guide
How to store
Store left over cooked pizza slices in a sealed air tight container for 2 days. Any longer tends to dry out the pizza dough, so avoid if you can.
How to Freeze
Freezing this recipe can lead to mixed results as the garlic butter clings to cling film and cooked pizza can be too dry. Serve and consume fresh as the best option.
How to Reheat
Reheat cooked pizza slices in the oven or air fryer. Use parchment paper or a baking tray, place the slices on top and reheat for 5 to 10 mins in the air fryer or 10 to 15 mins in the oven.
😉 Substitutions and Variations
Regular readers (thank-you 🙂 ) know that I like to give you some ways that you can make my recipe but suit your personal preferences if different to mine at the same time. You might like to try:
- Vary the herbs: I use mixed parsley, so a combination of curly and flat leaf. You can do the same or try using basil, coriander or a little sage.
- If you don't have balsamic glaze and don't want to buy another sauce for the pantry, but you have balsamic vinegar use this, however, serve it in small bowl for dunking (ie my Cheese and Onion Sandwich) as it doesn't drizzle as the consistency is too thin.
- Vary the cheeses: I use a combination of grated tasty and parmesan cheese. You can do the same or use cheddar, mozzarella or combined grated pizza cheese.
🛎 Tasty Tips
Here are my top tips and tricks that I want to share so you can master the recipe from the 1st attempt:
- Pizza rolling: use a small amount of flour on a plastic mat with a rolling pin to prepare the pizza dough. The flour will ensure that the dough doesn't stick to the rolling pin.
- Pizza wheel: whilst a knife will do the job also, a pizza wheel will do the job better. Use a firm serving board or chopping board to slice the pizza after it has cooled for 1 to 2 mins (cheese will firm during this time).
- Homemade dough or store bought: choose which ever works for you the night you will be making the recipe. If its a Friyay and you have worked 9 to 5pm then store bought would be my pick!
- No place for perfection: once you get a reasonable round shape for the pizza, stop rolling. It doesn't have to be a perfect circle and over working the dough sees it tear open and become too sticky.
🤓 Frequently Asked Questions
What is garlic pizza made of?
Garlic pizza is made of pizza dough and a garlic butter mixture, usually containing fresh herbs like parsley. It also has a cheese layer on top of the garlic butter.
Is garlic on pizza good?
Garlic is very good on pizza. The best way to use it is to melt it with a little butter and use a pastry brush to coat it onto the dough in a thin layer.
How do you cut garlic for pizza?
Use a knife and chopping board. Starting at the base trim the end off the garlic. Then use the knife to finely dice or place the trimmed garlic cloves in the food process or an blitz for 5 to 10 seconds.
What is a pizza without tomato sauce called?
Pizza without tomato sauce is still called pizza. You will find many varieties of names that are for specific ingredient combinations of pizza such as Pizza Bianca. These pizzas use a cheese base, white pizza sauce or olive oil instead of the traditional marinara sauce.
😍 More Easy Take Out Style Recipes
If garlic is your favourite ingredient to cook with or getting things cooking in the oven is your jam, you might like to try one of the following:
- Pesto Pinwheels
- Beef Noodle Stir Fry
- Pork Mince Noodles
- Garlic Spaghetti
- Chilli Garlic Noodles
- Chicken Yaki Udon
- Garlic Bacon Pasta
- Garlic Prawn Spaghetti
- Cheese and Bacon Pinwheels
Get your garlic on my friends, in buttery herby yum fashion!
Garlic Pizza Bread
- 1 Pizza Tray
- 1 Pizza wheel
- 1 Rolling Pin
- 1 Rolling mat
- 1 Heatproof jug
- 1 Pastry Brush
- 1 pizza dough Note 1
- 125 grams butter chopped into cubes, Note 2
- 6 cloves garlic ends trimmed
- 1 cup mixed parsley Note 3
- ¼ cup mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoon parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven: preheat the oven to 180°C / 350-375°F / Gas Mark 4-5.
- Prepare the dough: use a rolling pin and a little plain flour with silicon mat to roll the dough into a round pizza shape.
- Prepare the garlic: add the garlic cloves to the food processor bowl. Blitz till finely chopped.
- Make garlic butter: add butter and herbs to garlic and blitz to combine.
- Melt the butter slightly: transfer the garlic herb butter to a heatproof job and microwave for 20 seconds.
- Brush the butter onto pizza dough: use a pastry brush to coat the pizza dough in the garlic butter.
- Top with cheese: grate parmesan and mozzarella cheeses and sprinkle over garlic butter.
- Oven bake: place the pizza into the oven and cook for 12 to 15 mins.
- Note 1 - Pizza Dough: store bought or homemade, whichever is your preference. This recipe is best on dough though or naan bread as opposed to thin pita bread.
- Note 2 - Butter: chopping the butter into cubes is the best way to work with it as it blitzes more easily than using a wad of butter.
- Note 3 - Parsley: I like to use a combination of flat leaf and curly parsley. Rinse, trim stems and add to the food processor.
Recipe published July 2022, updated October 2022 with more tasty tips for you 😘 !