Garlic Spaghetti or the fancy sounding Aglio e Olio is the pasta you need in your life! This fuss free garlic and olive oil pasta delivers taste and texture.
Creative Spaghetti recipes from the Instant Pot Rigatoni with Jar Sauce, Smoked Salmon Spaghetti, to the Slow Cooker Spaghetti Bolognese, Tuna Spaghetti and Instant pot Spaghetti Bolognese are comfort food on a plate!
Garlic spaghetti is easy, it is quick and boy oh boy it is DELICIOUS!!
Recipes like the Artichoke Spaghetti, Anchovy Spaghetti, Lemon Ricotta Pasta and Bacon Spaghetti are meat based. For vegetarian, the Creamy Mushroom Tagliatelle or White Wine Pasta Sauce are your go to recipes!
🖤 Recipe Highlights
- Quick and easy: this recipe will get dinner on the table quickly!
- Easy to find ingredients: when you cannot purchase meat at the store, this is a great vegetarian dish that is light in flavour.
- Taste and texture: The simple ingredients in the recipe each deliver a depth of flavour and the textures allow for a crisp and al dente pasta.
- Fuss free and effortless: Sometimes you want great flavour but no hard work. This is the recipe for those nights. With simple ingredients and a focus on the taste of the combination of them, all of your boxes will be ticked!
The ingredients for this recipe are simple and easy to find at the local shops. The photo below is a great visual guide to use when shopping. The recipe card below has the exact measurements.
As you can see, the recipe calls for
- garlic: peeled and ends cut off. We slice the garlic into thin pieces. As these fry in the olive oil they become a little crispy, browned and simply delicious. It is important to use the slice technique and not use minced garlic.
- spaghetti: use you also use fettuccini, linguine or tagliatelle. This recipe works best with a long pasta that you can twirl.
- olive oil: extra virgin olive oil is best. Instead of a thick creamy or tomato based sauce, this recipe is all about the combination of olive oil, red chilli flakes and sliced garlic.
- red chilli flakes: this ingredient adds a touch of heat to the dish and is simply not to be missed. The flavours dance around in your mouth after consumption and are positively delightful.
- parmesan cheese: you can choose to grate your own or use store bought grated cheese. Choose a sharp parmesan cheese that is bold in flavour.
- parsley: fresh is best! We use this ingredients for colour and texture. It adds an Italian flavour and taste to the dish. Curly parsley is recommended over flat leaf parsley.
Top tip: You can buy garlic cloves from some fruit stores that are pre peeled. This will save you time and energy!
Here are the step by step instructions to make the recipe. We start by slicing the garlic, you will need a knife and chopping board!
- Slice the garlic into thin pieces (Photo 1)
- add garlic to skillet (Photo 2)
- followed by chilli flakes (Photo 3)
- and olive oil (Photo 4)
The garlic is sliced into little pieces which are pure bliss when cooked till clear (see images above and below, don't use minced garlic!!)
Talk about an easy weeknight spaghetti recipe! We have done the 1st 4 easy steps and are already halfway through the recipe!
- cook the sliced garlic and chilli flakes for 3-4 mins (Photo 5)
- cook the pasta till al dente, drain and add to the garlic oil in the pan (Photo 6)
- plate the pasta on each dinner plate (Photo 7)
- sprinkle with parsley and parmesan cheese (Photo 8)
The garlic, and chilli flakes will cook quickly! This is a very simple recipe that gets dinner on the table STAT!
🤓 Frequently Asked Questions
What does Aglio Olio mean?
Aglio Olio is the super fancy way of saying spaghetti with olive oil and garlic!
A hugely popular Italian dish, it is the combination of simple ingredients, paired together that make it next level delicious!
For those nights when you want home cooked and you crave pasta, but you just can't muster up the effort for too much hard work, this recipe is for you!
How long do you cook spaghetti for?
Follow the packet instructions for cooking time for the pasta. Al dente is what we are looking to achieve in cooking this pasta recipe.
That basically means the pasta is still a little chewy, has 'bite' and at the same time provides a great texture in the dish.
Every packet of pasta will have cooking instructions on the back, but my favourite tried and true method is simply to taste as you go. You will find that sweet spot where it is cooked but not mushy and when you do, you have hit the nail on the head!
🛎 Tasty Tips
These tips are to help you master this recipe from the 1st time you make it:
- Cook the pasta till it is al dente! It adds another texture to the dish.
- A pesto based sauce can be added for additional flavour.
- You can add a little reserved pasta water if you wish for 'sauce'.
- Parmesan cheese for super cheesy deliciousness!
- Freeze this recipe for easy meals on week nights.
The garlic will literally melt like butter in your mouth. It is SO good!
This recipe will become your favorite, want but can't, mouth watering get it on the table signature dish!
😍 More Easy Pasta Recipes
Pasta is the most indulgent of comfort foods, if you love it too, you will love trying out these recipes also!
- Fusilli Al Pesto
- Smoked Salmon Spaghetti
- Garlic Prawn Spaghetti
- Chilli Garlic Noodles
- Instant Pot Penne Pasta
- Blue Cheese Mac and Cheese
- Slow Cooker Spaghetti Bolognese
- Rocket Pesto Pasta
- Burst Cherry Tomato Pasta
- Creamy Mushroom Tagliatelle
Gone are the days where Spaghetti Bolognese is the quickest and easiest pasta. These spaghetti recipes and comfort food on a plate dishes will drive you home any night of the week!
Garlic Spaghetti (Garlic and Olive Oil Pasta)
- 500 grams spaghetti Note 1
- 8 cloves garlic peeled
- 1 tablespoon chilli flakes
- ½ cup olive oil
- parmesan cheese to serve
- parsley to serve
- Cook pasta in boiling, salted water according to package instructions
- Use a knife to finely slice each garlic clove
- Add sliced garlic, chilli flakes and olive oil to skillet. Bring to a medium heat and cook for 3-4 mins or until garlic is clear
- Drain pasta and add cooked spaghetti to garlic oil mix
- Plate and top with parmesan cheese and chopped parsley
- Note 1 Spaghetti is my favourite type of pasta for this recipe. However, it will work with other pasta, so use your favourite!