Burst Cherry Tomato Pasta is a quick and easy weeknight pasta recipe. This simple vegetarian spaghetti showcases cherry tomato recipes that work for fuss free cooking!
Using fresh basil is a great alternative to spinach or rocket and brings a herby zestiness to recipes!
Cherry tomato recipes
Cherry tomatoes are bright, fresh and easy to cook.
Use them in salads, stirred through pasta or in quiches for simple ways to add them to recipes.
Cherry Tomato recipes can be made vegetarian like this one and thrown on the plate like in the Boiled Egg Salad.
The ingredients for this recipe are simple and easy to find at the local shops. They are set out in the photo below so you can see exactly what you need:
As you can see, we have:
- pasta (I use spaghetti, you can use your favourite pasta!)
- basil leaves
- cherry tomatoes
- olive oil
- Parmesan cheese
Try and get a combination of red and orange cherry tomatoes as this will add to the taste, texture and colour of the dish!
Step by step instructions
The photos below are the easy step by step instructions you need to bring this dish together:
- Finely dice the garlic cloves (Photo 1)
- Add olive oil to pan (Photo 2)
- Transfer diced garlic into pan(Photo 3)
- And cherry tomatoes (Photo 4)
We cook this dish at a medium temperature until the tomatoes burst open and their juices come out!
It will take about 5 mins for the tomatoes to heat, then soft and burst, you can stir them throughout this process.
- cook cherry tomatoes until they burst (approx 5 mins)(Photo 5)
- cook pasta, drain and reserve 1 cup of pasta water
- add cooked pasta to the burst cherry tomatoes(Photo 6)
- use a spoon and stir to combine (Photo 7)
We garnish our pasta with fresh basil, chopped parsley, parmesan cheese and pepper, it tastes sensational!
Frequently asked questions
- this is a super easy recipe that is quick to prepare
- the pasta sauce is so simple to stir together
- the olive oil helps cook the garlic and tomatoes and drizzles into to the pasta sauce
- add the basil leaves and parsley for garnish (neither are cooked) there is 8 total ingredients for this recipe!
- you can use your favorite pasta, spaghetti, fettucine, linguine are all good options!
- this recipe will feed 4-6 people depending on portion size
- we cook the cherry tomatoes till they burst and use that liquid with the pasta water for our pasta sauce
- switch out the basil leaves and use spinach leaves for a change!
These tips are to help you master this recipe from the 1st time you make it:
- cook the spaghetti till it is al dente! (to add further texture to the dish)
- add a spoon or 2 of Basil and Cashew Pesto for even more flavour!
- swap the basil leaves out for spinach or rocket leaves
- freeze the cooked pasta for easy dinners during the week
This spaghetti recipe has a lighter feel to it than a hearty meat based spaghetti bolognese.
For pasta recipes that you can't go wrong with, you might like to try some of the following recipes:
- Smoked Salmon Spaghetti
- Artichoke Spaghetti
- Instant Pot Penne Pasta
- Blue Cheese Mac and Cheese
- Ground Beef Casserole
- Tuna Pasta Bake
- Slow Cooker Spaghetti Bolognese
- Rocket Pesto Pasta
- Sausage Spaghetti
- Instant Pot Spaghetti Bolognese
- Anchovy Spaghetti
These recipes are to make your life easy! Nights when you are low on energy, want home cooked but don't want a complicated recipe and you are hungry!!
Burst Cherry Tomato Pasta
Burst Cherry Tomato Pasta
- 500 grams pasta Note 1
- 500 grams cherry tomatoes Note 2
- 1 tablespoon olive oil Note 3
- 1 cup reserved pasta water Note 4
- Parmesan cheese to garnish
- cracked pepper to garnish
- basil leaves to garnish
- parsley to garnish
Burst Cherry Tomato Pasta
- Cook pasta in boiling, salted water according to package instructions
- Dice garlic cloves
- Add olive oil, to a skillet or fry pan and turn to a medium heat, add diced garlic and cook for 1 mins or so, then add cherry tomatoes
- Cook till cherry tomatoes burst (approx 5 mins), continue stirring and allow the oil and juices from the cherry tomatoes to combine.
- Drain pasta and reserve 1 cup of the pasta water
- Add pasta water to the cherry tomatoes and stir to combine
- Transfer cooked pasta into the cherry tomato mix and stir to combine and heat through
- Portion the pasta onto serving plates
- Garnish with basil leaves, parsley, parmesan cheese and cracked pepper
- Note 1 Use your favourite pasta. Spaghetti, fettucine and linguine are all good options.
- Note 2 Try and get a combination of orange and red cherry tomatoes as they will add colour to the dish
- Note 3 We need actual oil (not spray oil) for this recipe. As it forms the base of the pasta sauce with the burst cherry tomato juices and pasta water merged into it
- Note 4 Once your pasta is cooked, drain BUT KEEP 1 cup of the water and stir that into the cherry tomatoes to make the sauce juicy and moist.
Cherry Tomato recipes
The bright little bursting tomatoes that can be eaten as is or cooked to your liking can be added to SO many dishes.
This is one of my favourite ways to use cherry tomatoes as they have literally burst with flavour.
If you don't feel like mac and cheese or penne pasta grab the spaghetti and give this recipe a go.
Please give me a shout if you have questions or make the recipe as I would love to hear your feedback.
Watching the tomatoes soften and burst as they cook is what this recipe is all about, enjoy it my friend!