Air Fryer Tortilla Pizza is a quick and easy way to make homemade pizza! Using flour tortillas, a tomato pizza sauce, pepperoni and cheese we create a fuss free minimal effort dish to curb the pizza cravings. This air fryer pizza tortilla recipe is one you will come to make over and over!
🤍 Recipe Highlights
I have summarised everything that you will come to know and love (LOVE ❤) about the easy tortilla pizza in the points below:
- Pizza: yup you know what I am saying 😉👍. There is the cheese, the sauce and the toppings. What's not to love about it!!
- Simple ingredients: you will be able to get everything you need to make the recipe from your local grocery store. They are year round available ingredients that will be easy to get your hands on.
- Modern cooking appliance: the air fryer makes cooking so quick and so easy! Plus the results are just as good if not better than if you were to use the oven. Learning to use the air fryer to make a variety of recipes is worth your time and effort.
- Budget friendly: this homemade pizza recipe won't set you back as much as getting Dominoes or your favorite take away pizza. Yet you can still have your favorite toppings. It smells like pizza, it looks like pizza but it is a much more budget friendly way of making pizza 😉👌.
- Versatile: whilst I am showing you a basic pepperoni and cheese pizza combo, there is a wide variety of options available. You can use your favorite pizza toppings and add additional ingredients that you love having on your pizza.
- Take out food: nothing screams 'the weekend' more than wanting to have a cheat meal or dinner that you wouldn't dream of having throughout the week. Pizza night ticks a lot of Friday, Saturday or Sunday boxes for good reason. With 10 minutes of your time, you have this easy recipe and dinner sorted!
The photo below is to show you everything you need to make the tortilla pizza air fryer recipe. Please refer to the printable recipe card for specific ingredient measurements as well as detailed instructions.
As you can see the recipe calls for:
- Tomato paste: this is a quick easy pizza sauce! It is thick and rich with tomato flavor. We only need a small amount as we don't want to weight the tortillas down with too much sauce.
- Oregano: we use a little bit of dried oregano on the pizza before we add the cheese layer. It gives the pepperoni an extra depth of herby flavor.
- Pepperoni: is it even a pizza without pepperoni on it 😂😉. Haha, nah more so it is a great pizza topping that also performs well with the quick 5 minutes of cooking needed in the air fryer. Pepperoni pizza is popular, flavorsome and not overly complicated.
- Mozzarella: shredded mozzarella cheese is known for being a very gooey cheese and as such a good cheese to melt. So it is excellent in pasta bakes or as a pizza topping.
- Cheese: up to you which cheese you use for the 2nd cheese. This one needs to have more flavor than the mozzarella so cheddar cheese or tasty cheese is a good option.
- Tortillas: these allow us to make a thin crust pizza at home yet not have to make a homemade pizza dough or roll store bought dough. You can use low-carb tortillas if you wish to as well.
Tasty Tip: I like to provide you with a number of substitutions and variations giving you an array of options when making my recipes. If in doubt of any of the above ingredients, or wanting alternatives, read this section (further below) before jumping into the instructions on how to make the recipe which are coming next 😉👌.
Here are the simple steps needed to make this pizza on tortilla wrap recipe. We start by spreading the pizza sauce onto the tortillas.
- Spread tomato paste on to tortillas (Photo 1)
- Add the slices of pepperoni (Photo 2)
- Then sprinkle the dried oregano over the top (Photo 3)
- Top with cheese (Photo 4)
👩🍳 How to Make Air Fryer Tortilla Pizza
Start to make the pizzas by placing the tortillas flat onto a chopping board.
Then use a soup spoon to dollop half of the tomato paste onto each one.
Next flip the spoon to the other side and use the back of the spoon to spread the tomato paste out as the sauce layer.
Once done layer the pepperoni onto the sauce. Then sprinkle the dried oregano over the top of the pizza.
Next spread the mozzarella out over the pizza to form a cheese layer, then add the 2nd cheese on top of that.
- Place the tortilla pizza into the air fryer (Photo 5)
Now you are ready to air fry your pizza!
You can use both an air fryer with wire racks as shown in the photo above or a basket style air fryer. The main difference being that you can make 2 pizzas at a time with the wire rack style model or 1 at a time for the basket style model.
For both options use non-stick cooking spray to prepare the air fryer, ensuring that the pizza won't stick.
The pizzas will take 5 minutes to cook in the air fryer and will come out looking like the photo below.
- Cook the tortilla pizza for 5 minutes (Photo 6)
Once your pizzas are cooked, you can use a pair of kitchen tongs to remove them from the air fryer and place them onto a chopping board or serving platter.
Next use a pizza wheel and chopping board to slice the pizza into pieces and get ready to serve it! (I have some suggestions to help below 😁👌).
🍽 Serving Suggestions
Otherwise if you are wanting a simple dinner recipe that cooks quickly, doesn't leave you feeling like you ate a pound of pizza dough and takes minimal time, make this, slice it, sit down with the plate and you are done!
You will find that it tastes best fresh, hot and whilst the cheese is still bubbling away slightly.
👍 How to Guide
How to Store
Store leftover pizza slices in a sealed airtight container for 1-2 days. They are best reheated before being consumed.
How to Reheat
You can place pieces of the tortilla pizza onto a plate covered with cling wrap and reheat in the microwave on high for 1 minute or until heated through.
Or to ensure the base is crispy return the pizza slices to the air fryer and heat for 1- 3 minutes.
How to Freeze
Freeze frozen slices of the pizza in an airtight container or wrapped in cling wrap. They can be frozen for up to 3 months and need to be reheated before being consumed.
😉 Substitutions and Variations
Here are my sub ins and outs that you might be thinking about as you read the post and I will tell you if I think they will work or why they won't:
- You are practically unlimited when it comes to pizza toppings! You can add some chopped bell peppers, sliced olives, mushrooms, jalapenos or ham.
- You can use fresh herbs or Italian seasoning in place of the oregano.
- If you want to use a basil pesto sauce in place of the tomato paste you can.
- Or try a bbq sauce, marinara sauce or your favorite tomato sauce.
- You can use mini pepperoni slices in place of the regular ones if you wish to or use chopped ham or salami as alternatives.
- You can use low carb tortillas if you are wanting to make pizza without the traditional amount of carbs that come with them!
- Or if you want to make mini pizzas, you can use small tortillas.
💡 Tasty Tips
Here are my top tips and tricks that I want to share with you so that you master the recipe from the get go:
- Some of the cheese may 'fly off' the pizza in the initial stages of cooking. But don't worry as there will be enough cheese on there to still have a cheese topped pizza.
- If you don't want to hand grate your cheese, you can use a store bought Italian cheese blend or pizza cheese combination.
- There are all different sizes of flour tortillas which you can experiment with. The only thing to keep in mind is making sure the size you choose will fit your air fryer.
- Try to avoid using pizza toppings that take a long time to cook. This is because it will only take 5 minutes for the cheese to melt and the air fryer to cook the tortilla pizza. If you have long cooking toppings they will weigh down the pizza and not allow the base to get crispy in the short cook time.
🤓 Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use my air fryer for pizza?
Yes, you can absolutely use your air fryer to make pizza. The only thing to keep in mind is that the pizza needs to fit into the air fryer or be sliced in such a way that the pieces will fit in the air fryer.
How long does it take to air fry a flour tortilla?
It will take 5 minutes to make a pizza tortilla in the air fryer. If making 2 at a time the pizza on the lowest rack may need an extra 1-2 minutes to ensure that the base is crispy once cooked.
What is an alternative for pizza crust?
Try using naan bread, ciabatta bread, Turkish bread, panini, pita bread or tortillas in place of a regular pizza crust.
😍 More Easy Dinner Recipes
As much as pizza for dinner every night of the week has a bit of appeal to it, we need to switch it up so that we don't get bored or fall into the 'same, same' routine each night. Here are some ideas to keep your dinners interesting:
- Chicken Pesto Linguine
- Meatball Rigatoni
- Slow Cooker Lamb Ribs
- Spinach and Feta Pizza
- Air Fryer Chicken Meatballs
- Spinach Polenta Bake
- Mini Hot Dogs
- Roast Beef Sliders
- Salmon Linguine
- Meatballs Alfredo
Air Fryer Tortilla Pizza
- 2 tbs tomato paste Note 1
- 2 medium tortillas Note 2
- 14 slices pepperoni Note 3
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano Note 4
- ¼ cup mozzarella cheese Note 5
- ¼ cup tasty cheese Note 6
- fresh basil leaves
- Set the air fryer temperature to: 180°C / 350-375°F Note 7
- Pizza sauce: lay 2 flour tortillas onto a chopping board, side by side. Use a soup spoon to dollop tomato paste onto each one. Then flip the spoon and use the back of it to spread the tomato paste out into a thin layer covering the tortilla.
- Pepperoni and oregano: next place the pepperoni slices onto each tortilla in one flat layer. Then sprinkle the dried oregano across the top of each pizza.
- Cheese: spread the mozzarella cheese over the top of the 1st pizza and the rest of it over the top of the second pizza. Then take the second grated cheese and do the same.
- Air fry: place the tortilla pizzas onto the wire racks of the air fryer or into the air fryer basket itself. Allow them to cook for 5 minutes. Then use kitchen tongs to remove once the cook time is up.
- Serve: use a pizza wheel to slice the tortilla pizzas into pieces, garnish with fresh basil leaves and serve whilst hot.
- Note 1 - Tomato paste: this is a quick easy pizza sauce! It is thick and rich with tomato flavor.
- Note 2 - Tortillas: you can use flour tortillas or corn tortillas. The main thing is to check that the size of the one you choose will fit onto your air fryer wire racks or air fryer basket.
- Note 3 - Pepperoni: is it even a pizza without pepperoni on it 😂😉. Haha, nah more so it is a great pizza topping that also performs well with the quick 5 minutes of cooking needed in the air fryer.
- Note 4 - Dried oregano: we use a little bit of dried oregano on the pizza before we add the cheese layer. It gives the pepperoni an extra depth of herby flavor. You can use dried Italian herbs if you wish to.
- Note 5 - Mozzarella: shredded mozzarella cheese is known for being a very good cheese to melt. So it is excellent in pasta bakes or as a pizza topping.
- Note 6 - Cheese: up to you which cheese you use for the 2nd cheese. This one needs to have more flavor than the mozzarella so cheddar cheese or tasty cheese is a good option.
- Note 7 - Air fryer temperature: I don't use any of the set buttons on the air fryer. For example 'chips', 'pizza' or wedges'. I use the appliance like it is an oven and set the cook temperature to what I want it to be. In this case, I don't preheat the air fryer and I use this temperature setting: 180°C / 350-375°F .