Air Fryer Onions are the best accompaniment to any sausage sizzle and you won't even have to turn the BBQ on! Quick and easy, these onions make a simple side dish!
This is a quick and easy side dish that won't heat up the whole house!
Taking less time than ever to prepare in the Air Fryer, these onions look, taste and smell exactly like their equivalent BBQ'ed counterparts.
In Australia a simple piece of bread, cooked sausage, slightly greasy charred onions and your favorite sauce is a complete meal!
The combo of pairing onions with sausages is tried, tested and to be experienced!
Air Fried onions with no batter
This popular vegetable is versatile and as such lends itself to a variety of cooking methods.
The ever popular onion rings have many a fan, so does the blooming onion.
Despite the tears you may cry when slicing onions, every second is worth it for that slippery, melt in your mouth delicious and unique taste.
These onions are simply cooked in the air fryer with no batter, breading or seasoning.
They sing on their own and you will be getting a front row seat to the performance (Air Fryer Sausages the support act).
The ingredients needed for the recipe are easy - onions and spray oil (optional), but recommended for that BBQ style onion taste!
As you can see, the recipe calls for:
- spray oil (optional)
Here are the step by step instructions to make the recipe
We start by lightly slicing the onions, you will need a knife and chopping board.
- Slice onions and remove skins (Photo 1)
- Add to Air Fryer basket or lined tray (Photo 2)
- Spray raw onion with a little cooking oil (Photo 3)
- Cook the onions for 8 mins, then pull the basket out, use tongs to stir and move about a bit, then return the basket and cook for a further 7 mins (Photo 4)
The sliced onions will shrink down massively when they are cooking.
So this is an air fryer recipe that is ok to pile up a little and not need to lay in one flat layer.
The goal is to get the onions to the exact same slippery, stringy, cooked point of deliciousness that we would on a BBQ or hot plate.
You guys know I love my before and after photos!
These ones are good to show the point I am making how the onions will 'shrink down' as they cook, so don't worry if they are piled a little high initially.
Frequently asked questions
- This recipe makes 2 cups cooked onions
- Spray the onions with a touch of oil pre cooking
- Serve with your favorite sauce (ketchup, mustard, BBQ)
- My Air Fryer is a 7 litre basket version
- If you have a smaller Air Fryer you can work in batches
- Onions and sausages are a match made in heaven
- It takes about 15 mins to cook the onions
- It takes a total of 16 mins from start to finish for the recipe
I know you knew it would appear again...my Herbed Yogurt Sauce is shown in the photos throughout the post as it elevates the sausage and onion combo and reduces that 'too sweet' sauce taste.
You guys know I like to get a little saucy with you, haha!
This is what I have learnt that will help you master the recipe from the 1st time and every following time:
- Cut each end off the onion (stem and stalk), then peel prior to slicing
- You can pull the basket out by the handle to check the onions after about 5 mins cook time
- There are so many sizes and types of Air Fryers that some will cook faster or slower depending on the model, the 1st time you make the recipe, check the onions along the way to see how they are cooking!
More Air Fryer recipes
If you love Air Frying, then check out the following recipes for inspiration:
- Easy Air Fryer Corn on the Cob
- Air Fryer Sausages
- Quick Air Fryer Mini Hot Dogs
- Air Fryer Stuffed Jalapenos
- Air Fryer Mini Corn Dogs
- Fun Air Fryer Sausage Rolls
- Air Fryer Tortilla Chips
- Easy Air Fryer Pita Chips
- Air Fryer Honey BBQ Chicken Wings
- Simple Air Fryer Cheese on Toast (too easy!!)
PIN and save this recipe for later!
Air Fryer Onions
- Air Fryer
- 2 large white onions Note 1
- spray olive oil
- Turn the air fryer on to 180°C/350 F (allow 5 mins to preheat if your model requires it)
- Use a knife and chopping board to slice the onions into rounds. Peel the skin off the outside and separate the rings.
- Add sliced onions to Air Fryer basket or lined tray. Spray with cooking oil (optional, but recommended)
- Cook onions for 8 mins, stir (Note 2), the cook for a further 7 mins
- Note 1 For a 7 litre Air Fryer, you can use between 1 to 4 onions at the same time. More and it is best to work in batches.
- Note 2 Just like cooking on the stove top, when cooking in the Air Fryer you can 'stir' the ingredients. Simply pull the Air Fryer basket handle towards you (Air Fryer will shut off), use a silicon based utensil to stir the onions around then push the basket back in again using the handle. Or if using a tray style Air Fryer, push the tray back in and continue cooking.
You, me, some onions and a sausage
How about it?
I don't know about you but I bloody love onions on a sausage sizzle with a simple drizzle of sauce!
But I didn't want to share such a basic recipe with you without effort.
So I like to think of this dish as my pimped and deconstructed sausage sizzle!
Whilst they can be a little greasy, the combo of sizzling meat and slippery onions is like Batman and Robin, you simply can't have one without the other.
If you make the recipe, I would love to hear your feedback in the comments below.
Go get your Air Fried Sizzle on my friends.