Quick and easy these Air Fryer Honey BBQ Chicken Wings are finger licking good! With a simple 3 ingredient marinade, they are sweet, juicy and succulent.
Just like our Air Fryer Portobello Mushrooms, everything tastes better coming out of an Air Fryer!
Why you will love this recipe
Is there anything better than licking sauce off your fingers from sticky chicken wings?
Nope, I don't think so either!
It never gets old, boring or less delicious.
Easy with a quick cook time, these Air Fryer Honey BBQ wings are a must try for new Air Fryer chefs or pros looking or something different.
Ingredients for the recipe
The ingredients you need are shown in the photo below, they are all simple and can be found at the local shop (you might already have some of them!)
As you can see, the recipe calls for:
- Chicken wings (nibblets)
- BBQ sauce
- sriracha sauce
- salt and pepper (optional)
- sesame seeds (optional)
Grab wings which are already cut into pieces (nibblets) to save time!
Is there anything better than sweet, sticky, finger licking good chicken?
How do you cook Air Fryer Honey BBQ Chicken Wings?
To cook Honey BBQ Chicken Wings in the Air Fryer, we start by marinating the chicken.
Then we add the wings to the Air Fryer and cook for 8 mins a side!
You can choose to cook them as soon as you have coated them with the marinade or you can choose to marinate them (even overnight).
To cook them from frozen, (marinate then freeze) simply spray Air Fryer basket, add the frozen wings and cook.
Cooking from frozen will take longer than raw wings, so allow 30 mins cook time.
How to cook the recipe
As you can see in the photos below, the whole recipe involves quick, easy steps!
- Combine marinade ingredients (Photo 1)
- Whisk into marinade (Photo 2)
- Brush over chicken wings (Photo 3)
- Ensuring to coat eat side in the sauce (Photo 4)
A pastry brush is the easiest way to coat the wings in sauce.
If you don't have one, another method to try is adding the wings to a zip lock bag, pouring in the sauce and massaging the sauce around the wings to coat.
You can have a look at that method in my Honey Garlic Chicken Wings recipe.
- Add marinated wings to the Air Fryer and cook for 8 mins (Photo 5)
- Use tongs to flip to the other side and cook for 7-8mins (Photo 6)
Even though the Air Fryer cooks by moving air around the wings, they still cook more thoroughly if you flip them halfway, like you would cooking them in the oven, crockpot or BBQ.
I like to sprinkle the sesame seeds onto the wings after the 1st 8 mins of cooking.
This ensures they will also cook and toast to a light golden brown colour also giving the wings a great texture!
Cooked to perfection, the photo above shows you what your wings will look like when they are ready (SO yum!)
Air Fryer Honey BBQ Wings quick info:
About the recipe:
- The sauce works for 800 grams - 1kg of wings
- The sriracha is a hot chilli sauce that gives a little kick
- The honey provides sweet stickiness
- I use chives on top to serve (you can also use shallots)
- I also like to serve the wings with my Herbed Yogurt Sauce (and cucumber sticks)
FAQs about the recipe
- My Air Fryer is a 7 litre basket version
- The wings need to be in one flat layer, they can touch slightly, but not overlap
- This recipe is perfect as a game day appetizer!
- It takes about 15 mins from start to finish (8 mins, flip, 7 mins)
Your quick questions answered:
- This is a quick, easy to bring together recipe!
- This marinade only uses 3 ingredients (salt and pepper are optional)
- I do spray the Air Fryer basket with cooking oil to prevent sticking
- If you have a smaller Air Fryer you can work in batches
This is what I have learnt that will help you master the recipe from the 1st time and every following time:
- If you are new to sriracha, only use a teaspoon (hot sauce)
- Make the marinade, coat, then cover and refrigerate till ready to cook
- I don't need to preheat my Air Fryer, but if your model requires this, do as the 1st step
- You can pull the basket out by the handle to check how the wings are cooking along the way
- There are so many sizes and types of Air Fryers that some will cook faster or slower depending on the model.
- The 1st time you make the recipe, check the wings after 5 mins to see how they are cooking!
Air Fryer recipes
If you love Air Frying, then check out the following recipes for inspiration:
- Air Fryer Portobello Mushroom Pizza
- Air Fryer Stuffed Jalapenos
- Quick Air Fryer Roasted Red Peppers
- Air Fryer Portobello Mushrooms
- Air Fryer Tortilla Chips
- Easy Air Fryer Pita Chips
- Simple Air Fryer Sausage rolls (perfect party food!)
- Air Fryer Cheese on Toast
Or read through all Air Fryer recipes on the blog.
The sauce you see in the photo above is the Herbed Yogurt Sauce I like to use for EVERYTHING (its TOO easy)
It is optional as the wings are already smothered in the Honey BBQ sauce, but my thinking is 'You can NEVER have too much sauce!!'
Chicken Wings recipes
If chicken wings are your thing, you make like to try the following recipes:
- Chili Lime Chicken Wings (this recipe shows you the bag marinade method)
- Slow Cooker Sticky Chicken Wings
- Slow Cooker Honey BBQ Chicken Wings
- Honey Mustard Chicken Wings (to die for!!)
- Honey Garlic Chicken Wings
- Easy Honey Soy Chicken Wings
Try serving them with my Creamy Garlic Potatoes for a complete meal!
Air Fryer Honey BBQ Chicken Wings
- Air Fryer
- Pastry Brush
- Glass jug
Air Fryer Honey BBQ Chicken Wings
- 800 grams chicken wings Note 1
- ½ cup BBQ sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp sriracha sauce
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds optional
Air Fryer Honey BBQ Chicken Wings
- Add BBQ sauce, honey, sriracha, salt and pepper to a glass jug and whisk to combine
- Use a pastry brush to coat the chicken wings in the marinade(both sides)
- Place in fridge to marinate (optional)
- Spray Air Fryer Basket with cooking oil
- Turn the air fryer on to 180°C/350 F for 16 mins (if your Air Fryer needs preheating, you can do this as step 1)
- Use tongs to place chicken wings into basket in one flat layer
- Cook for 8 mins, use tongs to turn, sprinkle with sesame seeds then cook for another 7 mins Note 2
- Note 1 In Australia if you are purchasing Nibblets (pre cut wings) then generally they will be 600-800 grams per packet.
- Note 2 I like to sprinkle the sesame seeds onto the wings half way through cooking to ensure that these cook also. They will toast up very nicely. The process is in summary (cook, flip, sprinkle, turn, sprinkle, cook to get them fully coated, both sides)
- Note: Serving size for nutritional info shown is one chicken wing
It's a Wing thing!
Growing up we didn't actually have chicken wings very often.
This is perhaps why as an adult, I have found it necessary to try every single combination of chicken wing sauce I can find.
The good thing is this means you get to try them too!
Sweet, sticky and juicy, you are going to love these wings.
I would love to hear your feedback in the comments below. Please let me know if you enjoyed the recipe!