Gravy Fries are one of the best comfort foods on the planet! Save the trip to the drive through and never leave home again when you make this comfort food at home!!
Everyone loves fries!
Crispy, crunchy and delicious on the outside with soft fluffy potato in the middle.
There is nothing better than pouring your favorite gravy all over them and delighting in eating them one by one.
Gravy fries are an American and Canadian favorite and whilst there is some talk on the street of poutine and cheese curds, you can't beat the simple combo of seasoned fries smothered in gravy.
This recipe is to get you cooking at home, put the keys away, save yourself the trip through the drive through and whip up these bad boys in your kitchen!
Where did fries and gravy originate
Poutine, cheese curds, french fries, all names for same, same but different.
The combo of French fries and gravy likely originated overseas in a Western country that loves their comfort food.
In Australia, the combo of chips and gravy can be found at every local takeaway store, along side the roast pork with some crackling of course!
Loaded gravy fries
The essentials are the fries and gravy, you don't need to pimp them as they are so good on their on, should you choose to however, have a think about:
- chicken salt
- shallots (green onions)
- cheese (melted and delicious)
The ingredients needed for the recipe are all simple and easy to find at the local shops.
As you can see, the recipe calls for:
- frozen fries (crinkle cut or straight)
- chicken salt
I spray the base of either the Air Fryer basket or foil on a baking tray when making this recipe to ensure there is no stick.
We are using store bought gravy as I am guessing you are reading this as you want those fries STAT and not after you have stirred your gravy for 20 mins on the stove.
Here are the step by step instructions to make the recipe.
We start by cooking the fries, according to the packet instructions, using your preferred method.
- add frozen fries to basket or baking tray (Photo 1)
- cook the fries till crispy (Photo 2)
- plate them and sprinkle with chicken salt (Photo 3)
- heat gravy and pour over fries (Photo 4)
For the fries, you can use your preferred cooking method, be it Air fried, deep fried, oven baked, whichever floats your boat and gets them cooked.
I am using my Air Fryer to cook them as the chips get nice and crispy, quickly! Fries and gravy....nom nom!
The gravy packet will tell you the best way to heat it, I recommend simply popping it in a heat proof jug in the microwave.
In the photos above you can see the fries go from frozen to cooked, in about 10 mins.
In the photo below, you can see the next step where we smother our fries in the hot gravy. I seasoned the cooked fries just before this step!
Options to season the fries are salt, chicken salt, or some people love a salt and vinegar combo!
They are same, same but a little different to our Chips and Gravy where I talk more about their Australian and English roots.
Both work well alongside the Air Fryer Chicken Skewers!
Frequently asked questions
- This is a quick, easy to bring together recipe!
- The only ingredient that gets cooked is the fries
- Heat the gravy on the stove or the microwave
- Cook the fries in the Air Fryer, oven or deep fryer
- It takes about 15 mins from start to finish for the recipe
This is what I have learnt that will help you master the recipe from the 1st time and every following time:
- Cook the frozen fries by your preferred method
- Plate and season them as soon as they are crispy
- Save time and use store bought microwavable gravy
- Spruce it up a little with some chopped parsley
Got to have some greens on the plate too right, haha, but nah for this one!
Gravy fries work well as a side dish for each of the following recipes:
- Easy Air Fryer Cheeseburgers
- Air Fryer Chicken Skewers
- Slow Cooker Lemon Garlic Chicken
- Air Fryer Chicken Legs
- Air Fryer Lemon Pepper Chicken Wings
- Whole Air Fryer Roast Chicken
- Air Fryer Sausages
- Air Fryer Honey BBQ Chicken Wings
PIN and save this recipe for later!
- 1 kg frozen fries Note 1
- 1 cup gravy Note 2
- t tablespoon chicken salt Note 3
- Cook your fries according to your preferred method (Air Fryer, oven, deep fryer)
- Heat the gravy in a microwave safe until warmed through
- When fries are cooked, spread out on plate
- Season fries with chicken salt
- Pour hot gravy over fries
- Note 1 You can use your favourite brand, shape and size of fries for this recipe! I am using simple non crinkle cut frozen fries.
- Note 2 You can use store bought gravy or you can make your own, whichever works best for you!
- Note 3 Chicken salt will be with the herbs and spices at the local supermarket, sometimes it is yellow in colour and sometimes it is orange (the actual salt)
Fries and gravy
You, me, fries and gravy wat do you say?
I know we can't eat them every single day, but every now and then is ok!
Fries and gravy near me = walk to the kitchen!
I would LOVE to hear your feedback in the comments below, please let me know if you make the recipe!
Get your chips french fried my friends and smother that gravy on!