Sweet Chilli Mayo is the sauce you can make at home! Ideal for serving with fries, burgers, wedges or sliders, it is quick and easy!
Recipes like my Mustard Yogurt Sauce, Parsley Yogurt Sauce and Basil Yogurt Sauce are super delicious! The Spicy Yogurt sauce calls for fries to be dunked!
Pair them with recipes like the Air Fryer Chicken Skewers or Air Fryer Chicken Legs for flavors that go hand in hand!
This is an easy to make sauce that is reminiscent of those found at the local burger joint.
Using a combination of simple ingredients, the sauce has a thick, dollop able consistency.
You can use this sauce for everything you can think of! Start with dipping, dolloping, dunking or drizzling!
What is sweet chilli sauce made of
Sweet Chilli Sauce is made from a combination of chillis, garlic, salt, pepper, rice wine vinegar and sugar.
Despite its name conjuring images of a 'hot sauce' it is mild with a gelatinous consistency.
Flecked with chilli particles in the sauce, it works very well with chicken, wedges and combined with other ingredients to make a creamy dip!
Can I substitute chili sauce for sweet chili sauce
Chili sauce and sweet chili sauce are quite different in terms of their flavour, heat level and ideal pairings.
Chili sauce is a hot sauce that brings a little heat.
Sweet Chilli Sauce is a mild sauce that has a sweet taste.
I don't recommend that you substitute chili sauce unless you are looking for a sauce with a little kick to it.
An alternative to this mayo is my Spicy Yogurt Sauce. It uses sriracha sauce (hot chili sauce) and is combined with yogurt. It is subtle, smooth and creamy and is recommended over substituting chili sauce for sweet chilli if looking for a largely palatable sauce for everything.
Everything you need to make the sauce is shown in the photo below. This recipe only uses 4 ingredients! Each are simple and easy to find!
As you can see, the recipe calls for:
- mayonnaise (can use low fat)
- sweet chilli sauce (sometimes spelt sweet chili sauce)
- salt and pepper
Using store bought mayonnaise and sweet chilli sauce takes hours of prep work out of this sauce.
It ticks the sauce of a Copycat Grilled Burger sweet chilli mayo, but won't involve a laborious process to get you there!
Here are the step by step instructions to make this sauce.
This recipe is as simple as combining the ingredients in a bowl and stirring together (too easy!).
- add ingredients to mixing bowl (Photo 1)
- use a mini whisk to stir until they are combined (Photo 2)
This sauce has a thick paste like texture. You can use a spoon to stir it, however, I find a mini whisk or fork better, as it allows the ingredients to merge together more readily.
Simply 'stir, stir, stir' till you can see that the mayo is of a consistent colour, texture and resemblance.
This sweet chilli mayo is a great pairing for many recipes I have on the blog. Some tasty combos are with:
I find this sauce pairs well with chicken tenders and has a sweet lip licking after taste.
In the photo below you can see the partnership of the mayo with the Air Fryer Hamburgers. The combo of a juicy beef patty dripping with sauce on a sesame seed bun is a perfect combination!
Using the sweet chilli mayo on homemade burgers means you literally never have to leave home again!
Frequently asked questions
- This recipe is quick, easy and delicious!
- It takes less than 5 mins to make the sauce
- You can use regular or light mayonnaise
- Sweet Chilli Sauce is a mild sweet sauce (not a hot sauce!)
- The recipe will make one cup of sauce
- The mayo will last in a sealed jar for 7-10 days in the fridge
- This recipe is not suitable to freeze
😍 More Easy Homemade Sauces
If you love making homemade sauces, you will enjoy trying each of the following tasty combos:
- Herbed Yogurt Sauce
- Cilantro Lime Yogurt Sauce
- Basil Yogurt Sauce
- Lemon Yogurt Sauce
- Lime Yogurt Sauce
- Spicy Yogurt Sauce
Or check out all Homemade Sauce recipes on the blog. Mayo on my friends and may you enjoy it!
PIN and save the recipe for later
Hunger still got you? You can SUBSCRIBE to receive the latest recipes, follow me on Pinterest, Instagram or Facebook.
Sweet Chilli Mayo
- Mixing bowl
- Mini whisk
- 1 cup mayonnaise Note 1
- ⅓ cup sweet chilli sauce
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cracked pepper
- Combine mayonnaise, sweet chilli sauce, salt and pepper in a medium sized mixing bowl
- Use a mini whisk to stir (with a little vigor) till consistency combined
- Sauce makes 1 cup and lasts 7-10 days in a sealed air tight container in the fridge
- Note 1 Store bought and either low fat or regular is fine!
- Note 2 Store bought is fine (usually found in the sauces aisle) Sweet Chilli Sauce is mild and has a thick texture
This is so good! It's perfect on bacon-wrapped hot dogs and smash burgers.
Thanks Sharon! It is great to hear those pairings, yum!!