Air Fryer Chicken Skewers get winner winner chicken dinner on the table! Sizzled to juicy perfection, these skewers are better than BBQ'ed! Quick, easy and using minimal effort to create maximum yum, they are an easy choice for busy nights.
🤍 Recipe Highlights
I have summarised everything that you will come to know and love (LOVE ❤) about the recipe in the points below:
- Chicken is quick, easy and convenient!
- Get dinner on the table in record speed without it being same, same every night!
- Chicken Skewers can be paired with a simple salad for dinner, or a healthy veggie side dish for a complete meal!
The ingredients needed for the recipe are all simple and easy to find at the local shops.
As you can see, the recipe calls for:
- Chicken thighs (can use chicken breast also): skinless, boneless chicken thighs.
- Teriyaki sauce (store bought is fine, choose a thin based one!)
- Green capsicum (bell pepper)
- Wooden skewers (soaked)
- Salt and pepper
- Lime yogurt sauce
- Spray oil (if desired)
For the teriyaki sauce, I recommend the variety that has a thin consistency.
You will find there are thick marinade versions and thin soy sauce consistency versions. I talk more about this in my Teriyaki Salmon Air Fryer fillets recipe, where you can easily roll the bottle in your hand at the store to see if if it is thin based or thick.
I personally find the thick versions, whilst having their time and place, too glugy for simple marinating and the texture so goopy that it takes away from the meat or fish benefiting from the teriyaki flavour.
Here are the step by step instructions to make the recipe. We start by soaking the skewers and preparing the chicken thighs, you will need a knife and chopping board.
- Add wooden skewers to a small dish and cover with water (Photo 1)
- Use a knife and chopping board to dice the chicken (Photo 2)
- Add chicken to a bowl in preparation for seasoning (Photo 3)
- Pour teriyaki sauce, salt and pepper over chicken (Photo 4)
- Once chicken is marinated, place in the fridge (Photo 5)
- Chop the capsicum into pieces (Photo 6)
- Assemble ingredients to thread (Photo 7)
- Thread chicken and capsicum onto skewers piece by piece (Photo 8)
- Spray the Air Fryer basket with cooking oil (Photo 9)
- Place skewers in one flat layer (Photo 10)
- Cook for 7 mins, use tongs to rotate (Photo 11)
- Cook the chicken skewers for an additional 7-10 mins (Photo 12)
The timber skewers will be hot to the touch, so use the tongs and grab hold of the body of the skewer to make rotating them fuss free.
To test that they are done, use a toothpick on one skewer and insert it right in the centre of a piece of chicken, look at the colour of the juice coming from the chicken, if it is clear, they are cooked, if it is pink or pinkish they need further cooking.
🤓 Frequently Asked Questions
How do you use skewers in an air fryer?
You use skewers in an Air Fryer the same way you would in the oven, on the stove or BBQ! The trick (and it is essential) is to soak the skewers in water prior to using them.
I recommend checking the size of the skewers before you begin as not all lengths of skewers will fit the Air Fryer. Double check that you can place them in one flat layer to save the 'oh bummer, whoops should have checked that 1st feeling!'.
Can you put wooden sticks in an air fryer?
Yes, you can put wooden sticks (wooden skewers) in an Air Fryer. As mentioned above, I recommend soaking the skewers whilst you are preparing the rest of the ingredients, then simply draining the water before you begin threading them.
Can you put raw chicken in an air fryer?
Yes, you can put raw chicken in an Air Fryer.
In the Air Fryer Jerk Chicken, we take a whole raw chicken, cut it into pieces and cook from scratch!
Can you use metal skewers in an air fryer?
Yes you can use metal skewers in an air fryer!
Be warned, they get very, very hot!! So use a heatproof glove or tongs to avoid burning your finger tips.
You might have to hunt around, as wooden skewers are a lot more accessible and easy to find than metal skewers.
Again, check they fit before putting them in the Air fryer and if you have metal skewers with the silicon ends on them, they are fine to use too!
If quick and easy BBQ'ed style homemade recipes are what you are looking for, you might like to try the Dry Rub Air Fryer Chicken Wings, Air Fryer Lemon Pepper Wings or Air Fryer Honey BBQ Chicken Wings.
💡 Tasty Tips
This is what I have learnt that will help you master the recipe from the 1st time and every following time:
- Spray or line the basket with baking paper (parchment paper)
- Rotate the chicken skewers halfway through cooking
- Test to see that they are fully cooked, by cutting at the centre, the meat should be fully white, not pink
- There will be a little crusty grilledness going on with the sauce, the oil or paper will allow the clean up to be less intensive
- There are so many sizes and types of Air Fryers that some will cook faster or slower depending on the model, the 1st time you make the chicken skewers, check them along the way to see how they are cooking!
- I do recommend the rotation of the skewers during the cooking as it allows the meat and veggie that was flat on the basket initially to be open to more crispy bits as the air flow reaches it.
😍 More Easy Air Fryer recipes
If you love Air Fryer cooking then check out the following recipes for inspiration:
- Easy Air Fryer Cheeseburgers
- Air Fryer Onions
- Air Fryer Chicken Legs
- Whole Air Fryer Roast Chicken
- Air Fryer Sausages
- Juicy Air Fryer Corn on the Cob
- Air Fryer Honey BBQ Chicken Wings
- Dry Rub Air Fryer Chicken Wings,
- Air Fryer Lemon Pepper Wings
- Air Fryer Honey BBQ Chicken Wings.
You can also find all of my Air Fryer Recipes in the one category. So you can grab a cuppa and have a read!
Air Fryer Chicken Skewers
- 1 Air Fryer
- 1 Chopping board
- 1 Knife
- 1 Mixing bowl
- 1 Wooden spoon
- 1 Wooden skewers
- 4 chicken thighs skinless, boneless
- ⅓ cup teriyaki sauce
- 1 green capsicum
- lime yogurt sauce optional
- Place skewers in container, pour water over to cover and leave as you prepare the rest of the recipe
- Use a knife and chopping board to cut the chicken into small cubes, approximately 1cm x 1 cm
- Pour teriyaki sauce over diced chicken season with salt and pepper, stir to combine and place in fridge
- Use a knife and chopping board to cut the capsicum (pepper) into small pieces, approximately 2cm x 2cm
- Drain water from container with skewers
- Remove marinated chicken from the fridge and start to thread the skewers. Aim for 3 pieces of chicken and 2-3 pieces of capsicum
- Turn the Air Fryer on to 180°C/350 F for 25 mins (allow 5 mins to preheat if your model requires it) Note 4
- Spray the basket of the Air Fryer with a little oil
- Place the chicken skewers into the basket and cook for 10 mins, remove basket, place on a heat proof surface, rotate each skewer to the other side, then cook for a further 10 mins
- Note 1 I like using chicken thighs for this recipe as I find it a more tender cut of meat. You can use chicken breast also if you prefer. If you do, I recommend making the pieces smaller, ie not big chunks.
- Note 2 If you want to use a white creamy sauce like the photos but don't have the time to make the Lime Yogurt Sauce, you can substitute Greek yogurt.
- Note 3 I know technically it make confuse people to get started before turning the Air Fryer on. But this is the process to follow as the Air Fryer is not like a traditional oven, where you pre heat and then add dishes. I literally turn my Air Fryer on at this stage of the cooking process (my model does not require preheating).
- Note 3 Serving size for the nutritional information listed is per chicken skewer (x1)