Air Fryer Chips are the thing that everyone wants to cook when they 1st get their Air Fryer! A bag of frozen chips (fries) crisped up to perfection without the deep fryer.
This recipe is quick and easy!
Everyone wants to learn and master how to cook chips in the Air Fryer.
Super easy and cooked from frozen, Air Fryer chips make their own comfort food on a plate or can be paired with your favourite for a complete meal.
Do air fryers make good chips
Air Fryers make the best chips ever!
Crispy, crunchy and delicious, you will never want deep fried chips again!
There are a few tricks to know to ensure your chips are cooked perfectly and when you do, they will turn out perfectly every single time!
Why are my air fryer chips not crispy
To ensure your air fryer chips are crispy and not soggy, you need to master how to cook them.
They are best cooked in one flat layer in the air fryer. They can be slightly touching but not stacked.
If you think about the way a rectangular basket is piled high in the deep fryer a picture comes to mind.
We need to do the complete opposite of that picture to cook our chips (fries) perfectly till they are crispy.
You can't pile ingredients into an Air Fryer.
Separate them out a little and give them space for the air flow to cook the chips.
You also need to cook them for the right length of time. Soggy chips or chips that are not crispy haven't been cooked long enough.
If you keep those 2 points in mind, ie don't pile high and cook for long enough, you will get crispy chips from the Air Fryer!
To make the recipe, you only need the simple combination of 2 ingredients show in the photo below:
To make the recipe, you will need:
- frozen chips/fries (from frozen crinkle cut chips or straight)
- chicken salt (can use regular salt)
Chicken salt is HUGE in Australia. It is an all purpose seasoning that despite its name is suitable for vegans and vegetarians.
Salt, chicken salt, seasoning or salt and vinegar are all good options to season the chips!
To make the recipe, we begin with cooking the chips.
If you have a look at the photo below you will see the steps we take.
- Add frozen chips to air fryer basket (Photo 1)
- Cook for approx 20 mins (Photo 2)
At this point, most packets of frozen chips won't yet have cooking times for air fryers. They simply haven't caught up yet!
You can use the oven time as a guide, which is usually 15 - 20 mins.
But the best thing to do is keep an eye on your chips the 1st time you cook them and pay attention to the cook time, so you can use that experience the next time you cook them!
How to fry chips in air fryer
Generally thinner chips or fries will take less time to cook and thicker chips or wedges take longer to cook.
You don't need to flip the chips, but I recommend pulling the basket out, resting it on a heat proof surface, using tongs to move the chips around and returning the basket to the air fryer.
Do this around the 10 minute mark and it helps to ensure all sides of the chips and each individual chip gets crispy!
You will get better results if you do move the chips around a little, plus they will get more crispy if you cook them like this, as opposed to throwing them all in there and hoping for the best.
When the chips are cooked, remove the basket and sprinkle the chicken salt all over them to season!
You can see this in the photos above and below (the orange salt like seasoning).
You can also see the pairing of the chips with sweet chilli mayo!
It is a great option for serving hot chips or you can use your traditional favs like tomato sauce, ketchup, aioli or BBQ sauce.
Frequently asked questions
- This recipe is quick and easy!
- We start with a bag of frozen chips (fries)
- You can use your favourite style, cut and size of frozen chip
- The chips will take approximately 15 - 20 mins to cook
This is what I have learnt that will help you master the recipe from the 1st time and every following time:
- Lay the chips in one flat layer, they can touch
- Ensure they are not piled high like a deep fryer allows
- Use tongs and move (stir) the chips around a little whilst cooking
- You can work in batches if needed
- Season the the cooked chips with chicken salt
- My Air Fryer is a 7 litre basket version (from Kmart)
- Serve with your favourite sauce
Crispy chips pair well with the following serving suggestions:
- Air Fryer Chicken Burger
- Homemade Burgers
- Air Fryer Beef Kabobs
- Dry Rub Air Fryer Wings
- Air Fryer Sausages
- Easy Air Fryer Hamburgers
- Air Fryer Lemon Pepper Wings
- Air Fryer Honey BBQ Chicken Wings
- Easy Air Fryer Cheeseburgers
- Slow Cooker Lemon Garlic Chicken
- Air Fryer Lemon Pepper Chicken Wings
PIN and save this recipe for later!
Air Fryer Chips
- Air Fryer
- 1 kg frozen chips Note 1
- 1 tbsp chicken salt Note 2
- Turn the Air Fryer on to 180°C/350 F (allow 5 mins to preheat if your model requires it)
- Add frozen chips to Air Fryer basket (or tray) and cook for 10 mins. Pull the Air Fryer basket out after 10 mins, rest of a heat proof surface, detach from base and give the basket a shake. Alternatively use kitchen tongs to push and rotate the chips around a little exposing the less cooked sides.
- Push Air Fryer Basket back in and cook for a further 5-10mins until chips are crispy
- Sprinkle with chicken salt and serve with your favourite sauce
- Note 1 You can use your favorite brand, style and cut of chips. I am using regular frozen chips (non crinkle cut).
- Note 2 In Australia chicken salt is a hugely popular all purpose seasoning that we sprinkle on chips. Despite the name, it is a non animal based product that is suitable for both vegan and vegetarians.
- Note 3 In Australia a standard tablespoon measures 20ml, by comparison an American tablespoon measures 14.8ml. So if you are using an American tablespoon increase the amount all purpose seasoning to 1 ½ tablespoons or use the amount you prefer. If you cannot find all purpose seasoning, use regular salt, sprinkle to your preference.
Chippy, chip, chips!
Some people call chips 'chippies'. Like do you want 'chippies' for lunch.
I'm not all about that, haha! I just call them 'chips' or fries. The crispier the better!
Versatile, friendly and sociable this one is easy breezy, breathe easy recipe!
I would LOVE to hear your feedback in the comments below, please let me know if you make the recipe!
Chips, chups, fries, get your fry on my friends.