Mexican Fries are comfort food packed with flavor! Quick and easy these Mexican Loaded Fries are the best homemade Mexican food!!
Everyone loves loaded fries!
Crunchy perfectly seasoned fries with a little finger licking seasoning appeals to many.
Load them with your favorites and in this case Mexican flavors takes them to next level yum!
Piled high on a plate, these fries start with fingers grabbing one or two, then the devouring starts as the fork gets loaded!
This recipe is for you to cook your favorite homemade takeout at home, put the keys down and veg out on the couch!
What are Mexican fries made of
Mexican fries are commonly made of a combination of crispy, crunchy fries and seasoning - usually cajun!
Then we take traditional Mexican ingredients such as black beans, peppers and jalapenos and fully load them.
What's another name for loaded fries
The names are to describe cooked fries or chips that are then topped (loaded) with other ingredients for decadent indulgence!
Some popular ways to load fries are with:
- chicken salt
- cheese curds
- shallots (green onions)
- melted cheese
The ingredients needed for the recipe are all simple and easy to find at the local shops.
As you can see, the recipe calls for:
- frozen fries (crinkle cut or straight)
- Cajun seasoning (or salt or chicken salt)
- black beans
- red capsicum (bell pepper)
- cilantro (coriander)
- shallots (scallions)
- sauce (see below or use Greek Yogurt)
Years ago I moved away from sour cream and substituted Greek yogurt. That is an ideal sauce to dollop on this recipe if you can't/don't want to make/are too tired to make one of the homemade sauces also.
Here are the step by step instructions to make the recipe.
We start by cooking the fries (chips), according to the packet instructions, using your preferred method.
- add frozen fries to basket or baking tray (Photo 1)
- cook the fries till crispy (Photo 2)
To cook the fries, you can use your preferred cooking method, be it Air fried, deep fried, oven baked, whichever works for you!
For this recipe, I am using my Air Fryer as the fries get just as crispy, crunchy and delicious as any other method (plus it is too easy!).
- top the cooked fries with black beans (Photo 3)
- then add chopped pepper, capsicum (Photo 4)
- sprinkle mozzarella over and cook till cheese melts (Photo 5)
- load fries with toppings (Photo 6)
In the photos above you can see we cook the fries and then load them and in the photo below, you will see that we cook them again after loading!
After you have topped the fries with all of your Mexican favorites, we simply cook them again to melt the cheese and heat through the toppings.
This technique is much the same as used in cooking nachos, where we begin with toasting the corn chips (nom nom right!).
Frequently asked questions
- This is a quick, easy to bring together recipe!
- Cook the fries according to your preferred method
- The fries are seasoned with Cajun seasoning or you can use salt or chicken salt
- Once the fries are cooked, they get loaded with the Mexican toppings
- Then they get cooked again to allow heating through the toppings and the cheese to melt
- It takes about 20-25 mins from start to finish for the recipe
This is what I have learnt that will help you master the recipe from the 1st time and every following time:
- Cook the frozen fries by your preferred method
- Plate and season the fries as soon as they are cooked
- Have all of the toppings prepped and ready to load
- Allow the garnishes to bring additional complimentary flavours with the lime, cilantro and jalapenos
You may never want to leave home again when you see how quick and easy homemade loaded fries can be!
Mexican Loaded Fries are either a complete meal or pair with a protein such as:
- Easy Air Fryer Cheeseburgers
- Homemade Burgers
- Slow Cooker Lemon Garlic Chicken
- Air Fryer Chicken Legs
- Whole Air Fryer Roast Chicken
- Air Fryer Sausages
- Air Fryer Honey BBQ Chicken Wings
Get loaded my friends.
- Air Fryer
- Dinner plate
- 1 kg frozen fries
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- ½ cup black beans
- ⅓ cup mozzarella cheese
- ½ red capsicum (bell pepper)
- 1 jalapeno
- 2 sliced green onions (shallots)
- lime yogurt sauce Note 3
- Cook the fries according to your preferred method Note 1
- Sprinkle Cajun seasoning over the cooked fries
- Line a tray with baking paper and transfer cooked fries to baking paper
- Load seasoned fries with black beans, capsicum and cheese. Cook for 2-5 mins till cheese melts
- Top with chopped cilantro, jalapenos, shallots and squeeze some lime wedges over the top
- Drizzle lime yogurt sauce over loaded fries and serve whilst hot
- Note 1 This is a homemade sauce I enjoy making and serving with Mexican dishes. If you don't have the time and want a simple substitute use Greek Yogurt.
Note 2, if choosing to Air Fryer the chips follow this instruction (Turn the Air Fryer on to 180°C/350 F for 20 mins (allow 5 mins to preheat if your model requires it)
- Note 3 Serving size will varying depending on if you are serving the dish as a share plate and side or complete meal.