Air Fryer Cheeseburgers with juicy beef patties and gooey cheese are an all time favorite! Top with pickles, your favorite sauce and a side of chips for a complete indulgence!
Using either fresh or frozen beef patties, the Air Fryer cooks them in less than 15 mins!
- Recipe highlights
- What makes a good Cheeseburger
- How long does it take to cook a cheeseburger in an Air Fryer
- Do you need to flip cheeseburgers in an Air Fryer
- What is the best cheese to use in cheeseburgers
- Ingredients needed
- Frequently asked questions
- Expert tips
- More Air Fryer recipes
Everyone loves cheeseburgers!
They are juicy, melt in your mouth and so satisfying.
Crispy fries on the side and licking your fingers clean after is an experience we have all enjoyed countless times no doubt!
The juicy burger patties, the regulars like lettuce, tomato and beetroot, topped with onions and a smothering of sauce are what makes us crave them time and time again!
What makes a good Cheeseburger
A good cheese burger needs to have a well cooked juicy beef patty with a slice of cheese melted on top.
Whether you are new to Air Frying or have been doing it for a while and are looking for something different to cook, cheese and or hamburgers are great options!
How long does it take to cook a cheeseburger in an Air Fryer
It takes approximately 10 minutes to cook a cheeseburger in the Air Fryer!
You can cook the beef patties from fresh (raw) or frozen. The frozen beef patties will add an additional 5-10 mins to the cook time.
We cook the beef patties, then use a special trick with the cheese to ensure it stays on the burger!
Do you need to flip cheeseburgers in an Air Fryer
I recommend flipping the beef patty half way through cooking.
After the patties have cooked for 5 mins, slide a silicon flexible turner under them to 'flip' to the other side.
This allows the patties to get thoroughly cooked throughout and on both sides, with the air flow getting a sizzle on the cheeseburgers.
What is the best cheese to use in cheeseburgers
The hero ingredient of a cheeseburger, is off course, the cheese!
I recommend using a tasty full flavored cheese which is a higher quality cheese than cheaper 'cheese slices'.
This ensures that you will get the maximum amount of 'yum' from your burgers.
Some suggestions that you don't need to follow exactly and can be based upon your favorites are:
- cheese (melted and delicious)
The ingredients needed for the recipe are all simple and easy to find at the local shops (except for the homemade sauce).
As you can see, the recipe calls for:
- beef patties (fresh or frozen)
- hamburger buns
- beetroot (optional)
- spray oil (if desired)
I recommend spraying olive oil on the Air Fryer basket to prevent the patties from sticking and to help clean up (no scrubbing the basket)
My preference for the cheeseburger sauce is the Spicy Yogurt Sauce (as shown in the photos), however, you can also use the traditional favorites of ketchup and or mustard for pure yum!
Here are the step by step instructions to make the recipe.
We start by Air Frying the frozen beef patties.
- Add beef patties and cook for 5 mins (Photo 1)
- Flip, then cook for a further 5 -10 depending on fresh or frozen (Photo 2)
- Add cheese to patty and place in burger (Photo 3)
- Air Fryer cheeseburgers for 1 min to allow cheese to melt (Photo 4)
Let the cooked patties rest on paper towel for 1 min prior to placing the patty on burger bun (to avoid soggy burgers).
When cooking on the BBQ or hot plate, we could pop the cheese on the beef patty and simply let it melt.
When using the Air Fryer, cheese can 'fly off' your burger and leave you with a beef patty and slice of melted cheese on the side dripping through the basket holes.
To ensure that the cheese stays on the burger and melts into the patty, I place the cheese on the patty, then secure the patty into the bun with a toothpick.
This method works and you get the results that you want (easy, cheesy, gooey, juicy cheese on beef patty).
Once you have melted your cheese onto the burger, you are ready to assemble the cheeseburgers!
In the photos throughout the post you can see I have served my cheeseburgers with the Spicy Yogurt Sauce and Air Fryer Onions (optional homemade extras).
I am not here to tell anyone how they like a burger, that is one's own tried and loved taste palate.
So if you want to add to the burger toppings or substitute relish instead of sauce for example, go for it!!
Frequently asked questions
- This is a quick, easy to bring together recipe!
- We cook both the beef patties and cheese (bun gets warmed)
- You can cook the patties from fresh or frozen
- Use your favorite burger buns
- Spray the basket before adding the patties
- My Air Fryer is a 7 litre basket version
- If you want to cook more burgers, you can work in batches
- Serve with homemade sauce for a less sweet, more authentic burger
- It takes about 15 - 20 mins from start to finish for the recipe
This is what I have learnt that will help you master the recipe from the 1st time and every following time:
- Flip the beef patties halfway through cooking
- When cooked, place the patties on paper towel for 1 min to rest
- The patties may produce a little smokiness as they are Air Fried
- There are so many sizes and types of Air Fryers that some will cook faster or slower depending on the model, the 1st time you make the cheeseburgers, check them along the way to see how they are cooking!
More Air Fryer recipes
If you love Air Fryer cooking then check out the following recipes for inspiration:
- Easy Air Fryer Hamburgers
- Air Fryer Chicken Burgers
- Air Fryer Lemon Pepper Wings
- Air Fryer Chicken Legs
- Whole Air Fryer Roast Chicken
- Air Fryer Sausages
- Juicy Air Fryer Corn on the Cob
- Air Fryer Honey BBQ Chicken Wings
- Simple Air Fryer Cheese on Toast (too easy!!)
PIN and save this recipe for later!
Air Fryer Cheeseburgers
- Air Fryer
- Chopping board
- Paper towel
- 2 beef patties Note 1
- 2 hamburger buns
- 2 slices cheese
- beetroot optional
- sauce Note 2
- Turn the air fryer on to 180°C/350 F for 15 mins (allow 5 mins to preheat if your model requires it) Note 2
- Spray the Air Fryer basket (or line tray) with a little olive oil
- Place beef patties into the Air Fryer and cook for 5 mins
- Remove the Air Fryer basket, place on a heat proof surface, use a silicon flexible turner to flip the patty and cook for a further 5-10 mins (5 if fresh, 10 if frozen)
- Remove Air Fryer basket, place on heatproof surface, use silicon flexible turner to remove cooked beef patties, place on paper towel and rest for 1 min
- Add cook beef patty to burger bun, place slice of cheese on top followed by top of burger bun use a toothpick to secure burger, Air Fry for 1 min to allow cheese to melt Note 3
- Remove Air Fryer basket and place on heatproof surface. Assemble the burgers using the lettuce, tomato, beetroot, pickles and onions, drizzle with sauce
- Note 1 You can use either frozen or fresh beef patties. If using frozen, they will take approximately 5 mins longer to cook than using fresh beef patties.
- Note 2 The sauce you see in the photos throughout the post is the Spicy Yogurt Sauce. A nice change from a sweet ketchup or mustard but feel free to use your favorite sauce!
- Note 3 This method ensures that the cheese will stay on the beef patty. I tested along the way and found if I didn't use this method, the cheese would 'fly off' and melt through the basket alongside but not ON the beef patty.
Oh so cheesy!
Are you a hamburger or a cheese burger kindof person?
Pickles on your mind, hmmmm me too!
There is something so familiar and delicious when making burgers at home.
It is like the love of them and each time you have had one swells through the kitchen to the Air Fryer!
I would LOVE to hear your feedback in the comments below, please let me know if you make the recipe!
Go get your cheese on a burger my friends!