Air Fryer Lemon Pepper wings are seriously amazing! They have zing and zest with and are succulent, juicy and tender!
How good are chicken wings!
Finger food that you can hold in both hands as you gnaw away at every little bit of meat to get the bones clean as you then lick the juices of each finger!
Using a simple store bought lemon pepper seasoning, we take the effort out of cooking and make these wings super convenient.
The wings get air fried to perfection resulting in succulent, juicy chicken that literally pops as it comes off the bone.
This is a quick and easy recipe that works!
Serve the wings as dinner with a salad, appetizers, finger food or game day snacks.
The ingredients you need are shown in the photo below, they are all simple and can be found at the local shop (you might already have some of them!)
As you can see, the recipe calls for:
- chicken wings (nibbles)
- lemon Pepper seasoning (chicken seasoning)
- spray olive oil (optional)
I recommend saving time by purchasing pre cut wings 'nibblets' or you can buy whole wings and cut them yourself.
This simple combination is all that is needed. Pair it with chips and gravy for a complete meal!
How do you make lemon pepper wings in an Air Fryer
To make lemon pepper wings in the air fryer, we start by patting dry the wings then rubbing with the lemon pepper seasoning.
Drying the chicken wings with paper towel before we season them is to remove any moisture from the wings.
I do also recommend a spray or 2 of olive oil on the wings before cooking as this ensures the skin does dry out and helps to achieve succulent juicy chicken.
How long do you cook wings in an Air Fryer
It takes 25-30 mins to cook raw or thawed wings in an Air Fryer.
You can also cook them from frozen, by keeping the same temperature, but increasing the cook time by an additional 5 - 10 mins.
As you can see in the photos below, the whole recipe involves quick, easy steps!
- Add chicken wings to ziplock bag and sprinkle with lemon pepper (Photo 1)
- Spray the Air Fryer basket with olive oil to prevent sticking (Photo 2)
- Add seasoned wings in one flat layer to the basket (Photo 3)
- Spray the wings with a small amount of oil (Photo 4)
If you want to skip the oil you can, however, the basket will get an amount of dried seasoning cooked to it and increase your clean up time.
You could choose to line the basket with baking paper to avoid this.
My recommendation is to use a little oil under and on the wings to achieve better tasting wings and save yourself hours of scrubbing!
- Cook the chicken wings for 10 mins (Photo 5)
- Then flip and continue cooking for another 15 - 20 mins (Photo 6)
I find the best method to cook wings in the Air Fryer is to let them cook initially for 10 mins, then (use tongs) to flip to other side and cook for a further 15-20 mins.
This method results in both sides of the wings with golden crispy skin and succulent, juicy meat.
If you want to combine the seasoning and oil to start, then massage over the wings that will works also. Have a look at my Air Fryer Roast Chicken recipe where I use that method.
If you look under the wings in the photo above, you can see there will still be a small amount to clean up as the juices run off the wings.
I recommend not using baking paper instead of oil (unless desperate) as you want the air flow in the fryer, in around and under your wings and the paper limits this to a certain degree.
Frequently asked questions
- The recipe is for 12-13 wings
- The lemon pepper seasoning is dried, sprinkled over the wings
- Lay the wings in one flat layer (touching but not stacked, ok!)
- It takes 30 mins hour from start to finish for the recipe
- My Air Fryer is a 7 litre basket version
- Work in batches if you want to make more wings
- This recipe is perfect as an appetizer!
- The oil ensures the seasoning sticks and chicken isn't dry
Or have a look at all Roasted Potato Side Dishes.
This is what I have learnt that will help you master the recipe from the 1st time and every following time:
- Ensure you pat the chicken wings dry to start (helps remove moisture)
- Using a zip lock bag and massaging the lemon pepper onto the wings ensures they each get well seasoned on both sides
- Spray basket to save clean up time or use baking paper
- Pull the basket out by the handle to check how the wings are cooking in the 1st 10 mins to ensure the wings are flat with a little space
- There are so many sizes and types of Air Fryers that some will cook faster or slower depending on the model.
- Frozen chicken wings will take longer to cook, give them an additional 5-10 mins but keep the temperature the same (ie increasing it is not the better option)
More Air Fryer recipes
If you love Air Frying, then check out the following recipes for inspiration:
- Easy Air Fryer Chicken Legs
- Family favorite Air Fryer Roast Chicken
- Air Fryer Hot Dogs
- Air Fryer Corn on the Cob
- Super cute Air Fryer Mini Hot Dogs
- Air Fryer Stuffed Jalapenos
- Air Fryer Portobello Mushrooms
- Perfect side of Air Fryer Frozen Onion Rings
- Simple Air Fryer Sausage rolls (perfect party food!)
Or read through all Air Fryer recipes on the blog.
PIN and save this recipe for later!
Air Fryer Lemon Pepper Wings
- Air Fryer
- Kitchen Tongs
- Zip lock bag
- 12 chicken wings nibbles, Note 1
- 2 tbsp lemon pepper seasoning Note 2
- olive oil optional
- Turn the air fryer on to 180°C/350 F (allow 5 mins to preheat if your model requires it)
- Pay chicken wings dry with paper towel then add to large zip lock bag and sprinkle with lemon pepper seasoning
- Close zip lock back and massage seasoning over and around chicken to thoroughly coat it
- Spray Air Fryer basket with cooking oil (optional, but recommended), add wings to the basket, spread out in one flat layer and lightly spray with olive oil (optional)
- Cook wings for 10 mins, remove Air Fryer Basket and place on a heatproof surface, use kitchen tongs to rotate the wings to the other side (flip), return Air Fryer basket to Air Fryer and cooking wings for a further 15 - 20 mins
- Serve with Lemon Yogurt Sauce
- Note 1 When making wings, I almost always use the free range chicken nibbles/nibblets (wings that have been cut by the butcher). I find them easier and more convenient at times.
- Note 2 To make this recipe super fast and convenient, I recommend using store bought lemon pepper seasoning. You can get it from the supermarket in the herbs and spices aisle, it is called Lemon Pepper Seasoning.
- Note 3 In Australia a standard tablespoon measures 20ml, by comparison an American tablespoon measures 14.8ml. So if you are using an American tablespoon increase the amount of lemon pepper seasoning to 2 and ½ tablespoons
- Note serving size for nutritional information is per chicken wing.
Zesty fresh and lemon sauce
I highly recommend the pairing I have worked on here for the recipe. That is serving your chicken wings accompanied by the Lemon Yogurt Sauce.
You are going to get you dunk on for sure and its a 3 pointer.
The combo of citrus, chicken, juice and yogurt is simply heavenly and it doesn't take too much of your time to bring it all together (win, win, right).
I would LOVE to hear your feedback in the comments below, please let me know if you make the recipe!
Get your wings on my friends.