Air Fryer Frozen Mozzarella Sticks are a tasty snack! Quick and easy frozen cheese sticks in Air Fryer get the party started in a fuss free and effortless manner.
🤍 Recipe Highlights
- Easy to hold heat and eat food that works for parties, entertaining or movie night!
- Simple, fuss free and effortless, you only need pair with your favorite sauce.
- Be organised in advance of the guests arriving and use your time for more tricky party foods.
- Kid friendly, freezer friendly and Family Friendly.
- Vegetarian appetizer that everyone knows and enjoys
- Have on hand so that if dinner is taking too long, they can be whipped up for a quick starter.
Here are the ingredients needed for the recipe. I am using (and recommending) store bought frozen mozzarella sticks for ease and convenience.
- Frozen mozzarella sticks: there will be a variety of brands at the supermarket. Choose a brand that has some herbs in the crumb for extra flavour! They need to be kept frozen and cooked straight from the freezer.
- Tomato Sauce: you don't have to use the same sauce as me. You can use your favourite. Try marinara, BBQ or sweet chilli sauce!
Tasty tip: you can use an olive oil spray on the cheese sticks when you add them to the air fryer basket or tray, however, this is optional as you can get great crispy results without needing to do this.
🍳 How to Cook Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
Start by removing the frozen mozzarella sticks from the packaging. Spray the base of the air fryer with cooking oil (optional). Then lay each frozen mozzarella stick flat on the basket of the air fryer. Spread them out a little so that they are not touching.
- Add frozen mozzarella sticks to Air Fryer Basket (Photo 1)
- Cook for 5-7 minutes (Photo 2)
Tasty tip: These mozzarella sticks cook very quickly (even from frozen), keep an eye on them. Overcooked cheese sticks will burst and the cheese pour out (oh no!).
🍽 Serving Suggestions
Be it a snack, appetizer or finger food, these cheese sticks work well on their own or paired with some tasty sides.
😉 Substitutions and Variations
You will be able to find mozzarella bites which are essentially small bites of cheese as opposed to the whole stick.
Arancini and pizza bites are also popular and you can't go past halloumi chips with their crunchy coating!
Chicken popcorn, mac and cheese balls or ham and cheese croquettes are all good options.
👍 How to Guide
How to store
If you have cooked the cheese sticks and they have gone cold, you can return them to the air fryer for 2 - 3 minutes to warm.
However, it is not recommended to cook them, leave in the fridge and then reheat later. They are best consumed immediately upon cooking.
How to reheat
If reheating mozzarella sticks, use the same temperature that you cooked them at and heat till cheese is hot in the centre.
It is not recommended to reheat cooked cheese sticks more than once.
How to freeze
It is not recommended to refreeze mozzarella sticks that have been cooked.
If you are making homemade mozzarella sticks, you can freeze them for cooking at a later date (no need to cook first).
💡 Tasty Tips
- Keep an eye on the cheese sticks, by pulling the basket out during the cook time.
- They cook very quickly and will explode and ooze out if they are overcooked.
- There is no need to spray the air fryer basket or sticks with olive oil.
- There is no need to flip the cheese sticks during the cooking time.
- Cook from frozen and don't thaw the cheese sticks.
- All air fryers won't have the exact same cook time due to size and style differences. The 1st time you cook the cheese sticks, check them mid way through cooking and then note down the cook time when they are ready.
- Fried mozzarella sticks are commonly served with marinara sauce!
🤓 Frequently Asked Questions
What are mozzarella sticks made of?
Mozzarella sticks are cheese sticks that are covered in a breadcrumb or batter mix.
Are mozzarella sticks a healthy snack?
Mozzarella sticks can be eaten in moderation for a high protein snack. It is generally considered unhealthy to eat a large quantity of them all at once.
What is the healthiest cheese to snack on?
Mozzarella is well known as the healthiest cheese to snack on.
However, the breadcrumb coating and method of cooking increases the calorie intake.
How long should I cook frozen mozzarella sticks in an air fryer?
Frozen Mozzarella Cheese Sticks will cook in 5 - 7 minutes in the air fryer.
They cook very quickly, so keep an eye on them to ensure they don't overcook.
What temperature do I cook frozen mozzarella sticks in an air fryer?
Preheat the air fryer so that the cheese sticks will start cooking as soon as you push the basket back in or close the glass door.
Cook the mozzarella sticks from frozen at 180°C/350 F for 5 to 7 mins.
How long should you preheat an air fryer?
You should pre heat your air fryer for 3 - 5 minutes.
This will ensure that the food starts cooking as soon as the appliance is closed to cook.
Is it OK to eat frozen cheese?
Ensure that the frozen cheese sticks are fully cooked through (melted in the centre also) prior to consumption.
Don't eat any uncooked or still frozen parts of the cheese sticks.
😍 More Easy Air Fryer Recipes
Frozen Air Fryer foods make entertaining a breeze! Here are some further ideas you might like to try:
- Air Fryer Fish Fingers (Fish Sticks)
- Easy Air Fryer Frozen Spring Rolls
- Vegetarian Air Fryer Frozen Samosa
- Cheese and Tomato Pinwheels (oven or Air Fryer)
- Air Fryer Frozen Onion Rings
- Air Fryer Sausage Rolls
- Simple Air Fryer Party Pies
Or explore all of my Air Fryer Recipes in the one spot!
Air Fryer Frozen Mozzarella Sticks (Cheese Sticks)
- Air Fryer
- Kitchen Tongs
- 10 frozen mozzarella sticks Note 1
- sauce Note 2
- Preheat the Air Fryer at a temperature of 180°C/350 F for 5 - 7 mins.
- Place frozen mozarella sticks into air fryer basket or tray in one flat layer. Note 3
- Push the basket back into the slot to close the appliance and cook the cheese sticks for 5-7 minutes.
- Serve immediately with sauce.
- Note 1 This type of mozzarella sticks will be in the frozen foods section of the supermarket. Some brands have a plain batter and others have versions with dried herbs mixed in. Overtime you will come to learn your favourite brand.
- Note 2 Marinara sauce is a popular choice, but you can also serve them with tomato or BBQ sauce.
- Note 3 It is not necessary to use parchment paper if you are using a basket style air fryer. If however, you are using a tray style air fryer, it is advisable to aid clean up (crumbs).