Air Fryer Pita chips are SO EASY! Crispy, crunchy and delicious. These homemade chips are perfect for dipping, on a platter or as an appetizer!
Recipes like our Air Fryer Tortilla Chips, Air Fryer Sausage Rolls and Air Fryer Stuffed Jalapenos are an entertainer's dream!
Quick, easy and fuss free the Air Fryer effortlessly cooks these in minutes.
Are Air Fried Pita Chips Healthy
Air Fried Pita Chips are a healthy alternative to regular potato chips or oily crackers.
When we Air Fry pita bread we only need a small amount of cooking oil which allows them to crisp up perfectly.
You can use white or whole meal pita bread, the whole meal version being the healther of the two!
What goes well with Pita Chips
Pita chips are an excellent addition to a Grazing Platter, Crudité Platter or Dip Platter.
They are also a great option to serve with dips. Try them with one of the following recipes:
- Kalamata Olive Dip
- Cream Cheese Bacon Dip
- Black Olive Dip
- Roast Capsicum Pesto
- Green Olive Dip
- Labneh Dip
Or you can pair them with olive tapenade and find a recipe for inspo in our Olive Tapenade recipes collection.
The photo below shows you the ingredients needed for the recipe. They are all simple and easy to find at the local shops.
As you can see the recipe calls for:
- PITA BREAD: You can use whole meal or white
- SALT AND PEPPER: Just a little bit to season the pita bread
- DRIED THYME: This is my favorite herb for pita chips, you can also use Italian herbs or oregano (or your favourite!)
Here are the step by step photos to make the recipe.
You will need a knife and chopping board. We start by cutting the pita bread into 'chips'.
- Use a knife and chopping board to cut the pita bread in half (Photo 1)
- Then half again (Photo 2)
- Repeat for the other side (Photo 3)
- Spread the cut triangles of the pita bread out on a chopping board (Photo 4)
I use the large size whole wheat pita breads and I use both sides.
What I mean by this is that the pita bread comes in a two sides sealed at the edges format. Keep that edge sealed and the chip has 2 layers.
This gives a very crisp chip that works perfectly for dipping, dunking and snacking!
Air Fryer Pita Chips method
Next we need to season the chips.
- Use your favourite cooking spray to lightly coat the chips (Photo 5)
- Next sprinkle with salt and pepper (Photo 6)
- Then sprinkle the dried herbs over the chips (Photo 7)
- They are ready to cook as shown in the photo above (Photo 8)
My Air Fryer is a 7 litre basket version. I did these chips in 3 batches.
Depending on your Air Fryer you may need more or less batches to get them all done!
Don't be suprised if the chips 'fly around a little' in the Air Fryer. You will notice when you pull the basket out they will have moved around a bit whilst they are cooking and this is fine!
You can serve the chips immediately with your favourite dip.
But they will also stay crispy for up to 3 days if stored in a sealed air tight container.
Frequently asked questions
- This is a quick, easy to bring together recipe!
- This is a vegetarian recipe
- Serve with your favorite dip, tapenade or part of a platter.
- Pita Bread has a double thickness (different to tortilla bread)
- You can use white or whole wheat pita bread
- You can use small or large pita bread
- I use dried thyme, you can use your favorite herb!
- We also spray with oil and season with salt and pepper
- My Air Fryer is a 7 litre basket version
- If you have a smaller Air Fryer you can work in batches
- Don't cut the round bread in half as the chips will be too thin and break when dipping
- It takes about 15 mins to do 5 batches of the chips
If appetizers are your favourite recipe to make, you might like to try our Crostini or if you don't have an Air Fryer, the oven baked Homemade Pita Chips recipes.
This is what I have learnt that will help you master the recipe from the 1st time and every following time:
- Working in batches ensures crispy, well cooked chips
- You can pull the basket out by the handle to check the chips to see how they are cooking
- There are so many sizes and types of Air Fryers that some will cook faster or slower depending on the model, the 1st time you make the pita chips check them after 2 mins to see how they are cooking!
PIN and save this recipe for later!
Hunger still got you? You can SUBSCRIBE to receive the latest recipes, follow me on Pinterest, Instagram or Facebook.
Air Fryer Pita Chips
- Air Fryer
Air Fryer Pita Chips
- 3 large whole wheat pita breads
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- cooking oil
Air Fryer Pita Chips
- Turn the air fryer on to 180°C/350 F for 15 mins
- Use a knife and chopping board to cut the pita bread in half and then repeat till bread is cut into 'chip' portions
- Spread chips out in one flat layer on chopping board, spray with cooking oil, season with salt and pepper, then sprinkle dried herbs over the top
- Working in batches and using cooking tongs, add pita bread to air fryer basket in a flat layer so there is no over lap (6-8 a a time) Note 1
- Cook chips for 4-5 mins. After the 1st two minutes, remove the basket from the Air Fryer, use tongs to flip the chips to the other side and cook for a further 2-3 mins.
- Use tongs to remove once the chips are light golden brown
- Serve with dip
- Note 1 The chips will cook best if they are in one flat layer. How many you can add will depend on the size of your Air Fryer. Mine is 7 litres and I did 3 batches to cook the chips.
A healthy alternative to chips!
I love this recipe as they are not only SO good. But they are a healthy choice for dipping, dunking and snacking.
Crispy, crunchy and delicious, you can't go wrong.
Whip up your favourite dip, grab your Air Fryer and get your pita chips on my friends!
I would love to hear your comments and feedback below. Let me know if you try them.
We love making these in the air fryer too. So perfectly crispy!
Thanks Dannii! I am glad you like my recipe, cheers!
No need to buy these anymore when I can make them at home! They're such a wonderful snack and I love how these can be made in the airfryer 😀
Thanks Jeannette! I am happy to get your feedback on the recipe.