Creamy Garlic Potatoes are a seriously easy side dish that you can serve with ANYTHING! Loaded with garlic, herbs and cheese this creamy potato recipe is an utterly delicious way to roast potatoes!
Slow Cooker Lemon Garlic Chicken, Ground Beef Casserole and our Chicken Wings are all delicious dinner recipes you can serve or pair with a side dish like our skin on roast potatoes or horseradish mashed potatoes.
Oven Roasting potatoes in a cream sauce with thyme and rosemary is next level DELICIOUS!
This cream and garlic sauce is a change from traditional roast potatoes with oil and herbs. For individual potato portions try the Muffin Tin Potatoes recipe. Or for super crispy potatoes, the Duck Fat Roast Potatoes.
How do you make creamy Garlic Potatoes from scratch?
To make creamy garlic potatoes, we start by dicing our potatoes.
Then we make our garlic herb sauce, mixed in with the cheese and cream. Next we place it all in a skillet and oven roast the dish for an hour.
Potatoes are the perfect side dish as they compliment all proteins like pork, chicken and fish!
If you remember from our Skin on Roast Potatoes sometimes you don't want to go to the effort of peeling your potatoes! It is the same for this recipe. Keep the skins on and make the prep time FAST!
[mv_video key="ifhqhs7fhbjw3ytiqhwx" volume="70" aspectRatio="true" title="Creamy Garlic Potatoes" thumbnail="https://mediavine-res.cloudinary.com/v1592219302/mthbfe9jhcqjxs5khhha.jpg" jsonLd="true" doNotOptimizePlacement="false" doNotAutoplayNorOptimizePlacement="false" sticky="false"]
Creamy Garlic Potatoes ingredients
The ingredients for this recipe are shown in the photo below, they are easy to find and each bring a unique flavour to the dish.
As you can see we need:
- washed potatoes
- parmesan cheese
- dried onion
- salt and pepper
We are going to peel our garlic, cut the ends off and use the whole cloves in the cream sauce. It is delightful!!
What goes well with Creamy Garlic Potatoes
This is as versatile a side dish as you can make!
Our roast potatoes in cream sauce with garlic and herbs are perfect to serve with:
- chicken wings
The cook time seems long as the dish takes 60 mins in the oven. But every second of that time is worth it when you taste the cheesy delicious potatoes!
Plus once you pop them in the oven, it is hands off as you let it do the cooking!
Step by Step oven roasted Creamy Garlic Potatoes
The steps we need to take are shown in the photos below. They are all super easy!
- use a knife to chop your potatoes into pieces (photo 1)
- remove the skins and hard end of the garlic bulbs (photo 2)
- start the sauce by adding the cream to a mixing jug (photo 3)
- pour the garlic bulbs in (photo 4)
For the garlic cream sauce
- add salt and pepper to the cream and garlic (shown in photo 5)
- followed by the dried onion (shown in photo 6)
- thyme (shown in photo 7)
- and rosemary (shown in photo 8)
A mini whisk or fork is the perfect way to combine ingredients for the sauce as you can whisk together consistently.
- add parmesan cheese (shown in photo 9)
- whisk together to complete the sauce making process (shown in photo 10)
- spray skillet or baking dish with oil (shown in photo 11)
- transfer potatoes into dish (shown in photo 12)
Use a little spray oil but not too much as it can make the creamy sauce overly oily if there is excess.
- spread the potatoes out in your pan (photo 13)
- pour in creamy garlic sauce (photo 14)
- push any potatoes not covered under the liquid so they are all covered (photos 15 and 16)
In oven potatoes with garlic cream sauce
To get the dish in to the oven, we take the final 4 steps.
- sprinkle ½ the parmesan cheese onto the top (photos 17 and 18)
- cover skillet with foil and cook for 30 mins covered(photo 19)
- remove foil and cook for final 30 mins (photo 20)
Allow to cool for a couple of mins (the sauce thickens naturall during this time) and then top with freshly chopped parsley!
This recipe will keep in the fridge for a few days after cooking. You can reheat it and serve as easy leftovers with your dinner!
What to serve with Creamy Garlic Potatoes:
This dish can be served as a side for many recipes. Here are some easy options:
- Honey Soy Chicken Wings
- Honey Mustard Chicken Wings (this is a slow cooker recipe)
- Slow Cooker Lemon Garlic Chicken (this is for a whole chicken recipe)
- Honey Soy Pork Ribs
- Honey Mustard Chicken Thighs
Enjoy the flexibility of serving this potato side dish with your favourtie dinner recipe!
CREAMY GARLIC POTATOES QUICK INFO:
About the recipe:
- my skillet is 26cm (or 10 inches)
- this is a vegetarian recipe
- we use approximately 6 medium to large size potatoes
- the potatoes are white washed potatoes
- we use 2 full heads of garlic
FAQs about oven roasting potatoes in a cream sauce
- we spray the skillet or baking dish with cooking oil
- the oven needs to be preheated before we add the potatoes
- this is a perfect side dish as it is versatile
- this is an EASY recipe
Making Creamy Garlic Potatoes in the oven Pro tips:
These additional tips are so that you can master these potatoes from the 1st time you make them:
- my skillet is 26cm or 10 inches, use this size is smaller, not bigger as the liquid won't cover the potatoes
- the potatoes need to be covered by the cream sauce (entirely)
- when making the sauce, combine all of the ingredients in a jug and whisk to get the herbs mixed in thoroughly
- cover the skillet or baking tray for the 1st 30 mins of cooking
- uncover the skillet or baking tray for the final 30 mins of cooking
- allow to cool for 5 min when cooked as sauce will thicken
- keep in oven till ready to serve
Can I make this recipe the day ahead?
Absolutely! You can make this recipe the day before (especially good for BBQs!!) and keep it covered in the fridge.
It will reheat very well and can keep for 2-3 days for leftovers.
You will need to reheat it as it 'sets' in the fridge and is best served HOT!
Serve your potatoes with meats, a simple salad and some fish or on the side of a chicken dish.
This recipe gives a great alternative to a traditional potato bake when you have to peel the potatoes and use a mandolin to slice then.
PIN and save this recipe for later!
Creamy Garlic Potatoes
- Skillet, baking dish or french pan
- Glass measuring jug
- Mini whisk
- Standard chopping knife
- Chopping board
Creamy Garlic Potatoes
- 4 cups diced potatoes Note 1
- 2 heads garlic Note 2
- 600 ml cream
- 1 tablespoon dried onion Note 3, 4
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ cup parmesan cheese Note 5
- salt and pepper to taste
- Creamy Garlic Potatoes
- Preheat your oven to 180°C / 350-375°F / Gas Mark 4-5
- Use a knife and chopping board to diced your potatoes
- Peel the garlic, remove the skins and cut the hard end of the bulbs
- Spray a 26cm or 10 inch skillet (or baking dish) with cooking oil
- In a measuring jug combine cream, garlic, dried onion, rosemary, thyme, salt, pepper and ½ of the parmesan cheese, use a whisk to combine thoroughly.
- Transfer diced potatoes into your skillet or pan
- Pour the garlic cream sauce over and ensure all potatoes pieces are pushed under the liquid
- Sprinkle remaining parmesan cheese on top
- Cover baking dish with alfoil
- Bake for 30 mins, then use an oven mit to hold dish and remove foil, bake for further 30 mins
- Test potato is cooked by using a skewer inserted into potato and ensure it goes through easily with no resistance
- Remove from the oven using oven mits and allow to cool for 3- 5 mins as the sauce thickens (naturally)
- Garnish with freshly chopped parsley
- Note 1 I used standard white washed potatoes for this recipe
- Note 2 As the garlic cooks in the cream sauce it becomes soft and tender. It is simply irresitible!!
- Note 3 Dried onion saves time and tears! Find it in the spices section of the supermarket with the other herbs. It is SO easy to use and doesn't involve peeling an onion, removing the skin and slicing it in order to get that unique onion flavour.
- Note 4 An Australian tablespoon measures 20ml. This is slightly bigger than an American one that measures 15ml.
- Note 5 We use ¼ cup parmesan cheese IN the sauce and ¼ cup parmesan cheese ON TOP of the potatoes, total ½ cup in recipe.
Potatoes are possibly the easiest side dish to make and their versatility speaks volumes about their popularity!
This dish is intended to be different to your standard roast potatoes, giving you a delightful new way to roast potatoes in the oven.
Cook up your favourite protein, some creamy garlic potatoes and you are set.
Sing out to me if you have any questions. I will probably be sitting in front of my oven watching something cooking and bubbling away.
I've got your sides SORTED and you have got dinner on the table!