Air Fryer Hot Dogs are a fun and easy recipe that the whole family will love! Cook the hot dogs and the buns, then top with onions if you please and get a little saucy!
Using the Air Fryer to make hot dogs is a modern, fun and quick way to cook!
Everyone loves hotdogs!
They are so popular for good reason.
The juicy hot dog, the toasted bun, bacon and onions for topping if you please and old time favs ketchup and mustard on top!
Without heating up the whole house or boiling a pot on the stove, we are able to make this traditional recipe in a faster, more convenient style!
How long does it take to cook hot hogs in an Air fryer
It takes less than 15 minutes to cook hot dogs in the Air Fryer!
The total time allowed for the recipe is 20 mins as this gives time to prepare the bun for toasting as well as cooking each hot dog, hot dog bun and cheese.
How do you cook hot dogs in an Air Fryer
Working step by step to ensure both hot dog and bun are fully cooked, we then top the hot dogs with cheese and air fry till it melts!
The hot dog is juicy, the bun toasted and the cheesy all gooey and delicious!
How do you make hot dogs crispy
The key to making hot dogs crispy is to cook each element perfectly.
By cooking the hot dog to start, followed by the bun, then the cheese, we ensure that the meat is cooked to sizzling delightful, the bun toasted (not just warmed through) and the cheese nearing flaking point.
We want the inside to be soft and juicy and the outside crispy and delicious!
Hot Dog Toppings
You can either keep the hot dogs super simple and combine the 3 basics, being the hot dog, bun and ketchup.
Or you can get a little fancy and spruce them up a bit with the following toppings:
- BBQ sauce
- cheese (melted and delicious)
The ingredients needed for the recipe are all simple and easy to find at the local shops.
As you can see, the recipe calls for:
- hot dogs
- hot dog buns
- onions (optional)
- spray oil (if desired)
If you want to use sausages in place of the hot dogs (frankfurts), check out the Air Fryer Sausages recipe for how to cook them.
Here are the step by step instructions to make the recipe.
We start by Air Frying the hot dogs (weiners).
- Cook hot dogs for 3-5 mins (Photo 1)
- Cook hot dog buns for 2 mins (Photo 2)
- Add hot dog and cheese to the buns (Photo 3)
- Air Fry the hot dogs until the cheese melts (Photo 4)
If you are worried about the cheese 'flying off', you can choose to put it under the hot dog instead of on top.
I don't recommend scoring or piercing the hot dogs as they have a different texture to sausages, but if you use sausages, do this as a quick steps.
In the photo above you can see I have served my hot dogs with mustard and ketchup with our Air Fryer Onions an optional extra (and delicious one at that)!
Frequently asked questions
- This is a quick, easy to bring together recipe!
- You can keep it to 3 ingredients (or add toppings)
- We make a total of 6 hot dogs
- You can use either whole meal or white buns
- We cook the hot dogs before adding them to the rolls
- Spray the basket when cooking the hot dogs
- My Air Fryer is a 7 litre basket version
- If you have a smaller Air Fryer you can work in batches
- Serve with your favorite sauce such as ketchup and mustard!
- It takes about 15 - 20 mins from start to finish for the recipe
This is what I have learnt that will help you master the recipe from the 1st time and every following time:
- Cook the hot dogs and buns separately to start
- Then combine and top with cheese
- You can pull the basket out by the handle to check the hot dogs are cooking after 2 mins
- There are so many sizes and types of Air Fryers that some will cook faster or slower depending on the model, the 1st time you make the hot dogs, check them along the way to see how they are cooking!
More Air Fryer recipes
If you love Air Fryer cooking then check out the following recipes for inspiration:
- Air Fryer Chicken Legs
- Air Fryer Cheeseburgers
- Fun Air Fryer Mini Corn Dogs
- Air Fryer Tortilla Chips
- Air Fryer Hamburgers
- Whole Air Fryer Roast Chicken
- Air Fryer Honey BBQ Chicken Wings
- Simple Air Fryer Cheese on Toast (too easy!!)
PIN and save this recipe for later!
Air Fryer Hot Dogs
- Air Fryer
- Chopping board
- 6 hot dogs
- 6 hot dog buns
- mozzarella cheese
- ketch up
- Turn the air fryer on to 180°C/350 F (allow 5 mins to preheat if your model requires it)
- Spray the Air Fryer basket with cooking oil, then add hot dogs, cook for 3-5 mins
- Pull the Air Fryer basket towards you, remove the cooked hot dogs and set aside.
- Place the hot dog buns into the Air Fryer and cook for 2-3 mins (until bun is toasted)
- Pull the Air Fryer basket towards you, rest on a heat proof surface, add cooked hot dog to bun and top with cheese. Push Air Fryer basket back in and cook until cheese melts (2-3 mins)
- Top with mustard, ketchup and onions (optional)
Wiener for your thoughts
Haha, I had to do it!
How many names are there for hot dogs...we have the wieners, the hot dogs, the frankfurts and the sausage, it seems never ending!
You will love this recipe as it is quick, easy and fun! Not to mention, you won't have to pay someone else to make hot dogs for you and the fam!
If you make the recipe, I would LOVE to hear your feedback in the comments below!
Let's get our hot dogs frying my friends!