Air Fryer Frozen Onions Rings are seriously crispy and delicious! A healthier choice than a deep fried version that tastes exactly the same!
This recipe takes us back to basics with how to cook frozen onion rings in the Air Fryer.
Providing a healthy version of onion rings that don't need to be deep fried to be crispy and delicious, this recipe doesn't require a trip through the drive through!
Grab your favorite store bought frozen onion rings and let's get our fry on them.
The ingredients needed for the recipe are easy - frozen onion rings and spray oil (optional), but recommended to ensure no rings stick to the basket and clean up is made fuss free!
As you can see, the recipe calls for:
- frozen onion rings (your favorite brand)
- spray oil (optional)
Here are the step by step instructions to make the recipe
We start by prepping our Air Fryer Basket (or tray).
- Spray Air Fryer Basket with cooking oil (Photo 1)
- Add frozen onion rings to basket (Photo 2)
- Cook for 10 mins, then use tongs to stir (Photo 3)
- Cook for a further 10 mins until onion rings are lightly browned and crispy (Photo 4)
The onion rings smell amazing when they are cooking.
You need to let them do their thing for a little bit, so we let them cook.
Then simply stir and keep cooking!
This recipe is one that needs the onion rings to be in a reasonably flat layer (ie not too heavily stacked). The rings can touch each other, but give them space.
The goal is to get the onion rings to the same crispy (non greasy), crunchy, delicious point of their deep fried counterparts!
You guys know I love my before and after photos!
The ones above are to show you the onion rings as they are from the packet (frozen and not thawed).
The photo on the right shows you the onion rings after they are Air Fried...they will melt in your mouth!
Frequently asked questions
- This recipe uses store bought frozen onion rings
- Spray the basket with a touch of oil to prevent sticking
- Serve with your favorite sauce (ketchup, mustard, BBQ)
- Or try the Cilantro Lime Yogurt Sauce (shown in the pics)
How do you cook frozen onion rings?
You can oven bake them, deep fry them or (more modern and healthier, but still crispy) Air Fry them!
Cooking frozen onion rings in the Air Fryer is super quick and easy, plus they crisp up so well that you will never want to deep fry them again!
You guys know how much I love my sauce recipes!
Throughout the post you can see the Cilantro Lime Yogurt Sauce which is a delightful pairing!
Another option that is just as delicious is my Herbed Yogurt Sauce.
This is what I have learnt that will help you master the recipe from the 1st time and every following time:
- Srpay the basket or line the tray so there is no sticking and less clean up for the recipe
- You can pull the basket out by the handle to check the onion rings after about 5 mins cook time
- There are so many sizes and types of Air Fryers that some will cook faster or slower depending on the model, the 1st time you make the recipe, check the onion rings along the way to see how they are cooking!
If you love air fried food, then check out the following recipes for inspiration. Or find my Air Fryer recipes all in one spot!
- Air Fryer Sausages (Beef, chicken or pork)
- Easy Air Fryer Corn on the Cob
- Air Fryer Onions
- Quick Air Fryer Mini Hot Dogs
- Air Fryer Stuffed Jalapenos
- Air Fryer Mini Corn Dogs
- Fun Air Fryer Sausage Rolls
- Air Fryer Tortilla Chips
- Easy Air Fryer Pita Chips
- Air Fryer Honey BBQ Chicken Wings
- Simple Air Fryer Cheese on Toast (too easy!!)
Air Fryer Frozen Onion Rings
- Air Fryer
- 500 grams frozen onion rings
- Turn Air Fryer on to 180 degrees, 350 Fahrenheit, gas mark 4
- Lightly spray air fryer basket with olive oil
- Add frozen rings and spread into a reasonably flat layer
- Cook for 20 mins, stirring after the 1st 10 mins
- Serve with your favorite sauce
- Note for nutritional info refer to the packet as a guide (as each brand will differ)