Air Fryer Tortilla Chips are SO EASY, crispy, crunchy and delicious! Use your Air Fryer to cook these chips to serve with salsa, dip or nachos!
Make the chips in advance and have ready to serve when guests arrive at the door!
How do you cut Tortilla Chips
Using store bought whole tortilla's (in the International food section at most supermarkets), you need a knife and chopping board to cut the tortilla's into chips.
The easiest way is to cut them in half, half again and then half again.
How do you make Tortilla Chips in an Air Fryer
To make tortilla chips in an Air Fryer, you need to cut them into chips, spray them with cooking oil and then season them with salt.
If you like you can use additional seasoning such as paprika, lime salt or your favourite Mexican seasoning!
The ingredients for this recipe are simple and easy to find at the local shops.
They are set out in the photo below so you can see exactly what you need:
As you can see the recipe calls for:
- spray oil (whichever brand you have at home is fine!)
You will need a knife and chopping board.
We begin by cutting the tortilla rounds into wedges.
- Cut the tortillas in half (Photo 1)
- Then cut them in half again (Photo 2)
- Repeat the process until you have 8 sections of chips (Photo 3)
- Spread the cut chips out flat on the chopping board (Photo 4)
If you use smaller tortillas than the ones shown in the photos, reduce the amount of times you cut the tortillas so you end up with a large corn chip sized chip.
- Spray the cut chips with cooking oil (Photo 5)
- Sprinkle them with salt (Photo 6)
- They are ready to cook in batches (Photo 7)
- Spread the chips out flat on the base of the Air Fryer basket (Photo 8)
The reason we batch cook the chips is that the Air Fryer needs to allow the air to circulate to make the chips crispy.
By placing the chips in one flat layer this ensures that the chips get thoroughly and consistently cooked through.
- Cook each batch for 2-3 mins (Photo 5)
- Then flip to the other side (Photo 6)
I find if I set my Air Fryer to 15 mins in total, I can cook 3 batches of the chips across that time without having to reset or turn the fryer off and on again.
Once the 1st batch of chips are cooked, simply use your tongs to remove and place aside on a serving tray.
What to serve with tortilla chips
These chips are so crispy, crunchy and delicious!
Best of all, they are also very versatile and can be served with just about anything.
Try one of the following ideas:
- Serve with salsa and fresh lime wedges
- Serve with Kalamata Olive Dip
- Pop them on a Dip Platter, Grazing Platter or Crudite Platter
- Pair with Avocado Dip
- Use them for homemade nachoes!
Dips to pair with tortilla chips
Or try one of these easy and delicious homemade dip recipes:
- Cottage Cheese Dip
- Labneh Dip (this is made from Greek Yoghurt!)
- Green Olive Dip
- Cream Cheese Bacon Dip
- Black Olive Dip
Frequently asked questions
- This is a quick, easy to bring together recipe!
- The chips are served warm or can be reheated
- I use canola spray oil
- This recipe is VEGETARIAN
- We use corn and wheat tortillas
- Use your favourite brand of spray oil
- Regular table salt is fine!
- Make the chips about the size of a regular corn chip
- My Air Fryer is a 7 litre basket version
- Depending on the size of your Air Fryer you made need to make more or less batches
- You can add seasoning at the same time as the salt if you like
- The chips will stay crispy if stored in a sealed container for a couple of days
This is what I have learnt that will help you master the recipe from the 1st time and every following time:
- It is normal for the chips to 'fly around a little' in the Air Fryer, so don't be alarmed if you here them moving a little bit
- You can pull the basket out by the handle to check the chips to see how they are cooking
- There are so many sizes and types of Air Fryers that some will cook faster or slower depending on the model, the 1st time you make the chips, check them after 2 mins to see how they are cooking!
Learn to use your oven to make bread to serve with your dips in my How to Toast Bread in the Oven guide.
More Air Fryer recipes
If you love Air Frying, then check out the following recipes for inspiration:
- Easy Air Fryer Corn on the Cob
- Air Fryer Sausages
- Quick Air Fryer Mini Hot Dogs
- Air Fryer Stuffed Jalapenos
- Air Fryer Mini Corn Dogs
- Fun Air Fryer Sausage Rolls
- Air Fryer Pita Chips
- Easy Air Fryer Pita Chips
- Air Fryer Honey BBQ Chicken Wings
- Simple Air Fryer Cheese on Toast (too easy!!)
Air Fryer Tortilla Chips
- Air Fryer
Air Fryer Tortilla Chips
- 6 tortillas
- 1 teaspoon salt
- cooking spray
Air Fryer Tortilla Chips
- Turn the air fryer on to 180°C/350 F for 15 mins
- Use a knife and chopping board to cut the tortillas in halve, then half again, then into quarters
- Spread the cut tortilla chips into one layer on the chopping board, spray with cooking oil and sprinkle with salt
- Working in batches (3 in total) lay the tortilla chips flat onto the basket of the Air Fryer
- After 2-3 mins, remove the basket and using tongs flip the chips to the other side, return the basket to the Air Fryer and cook for a further 2 - 3mins
- Once cooked, remove the tortilla chips and add the 2nd batch, repeat the above process
- Serve with dip
Crispy, crunchy and delicious!
You will find it hard to cook tortilla chips any other way once you have used your Air Fryer to cook them.
There is no bending and putting things in and out of the oven, or whole house getting hot because of the heat.
Make it a Mexican night at your place and give these a go!
I would love to hear your comments and feedback below. Let me know if you try them.
Adios my friends!