Avocado Sweet Chilli Dip is creamy and delicious! Super quick to make and using minimal ingredients, you will love the buttery taste and thick texture of this recipe. Best served with pita chips this avocado chilli dip is popular and full of flavour.
🤍 Recipe Highlights
You will love this recipe for its simplicity and fantastic taste. Here are some more reasons why it will tick all of your boxes:
- Perfect for entertaining: this is a great dip to use as a starter or appetizer to get the party started.
- Fuss free and effortless: taking only minutes to prepare this dip won't have you tearing your hair out. You can whip it up in minutes.
- Minimal ingredients: this recipe does not involve a complicated list of millions of ingredients. Each are simple to find and readily available at the local shops.
- Vegan dip: this is a vegan recipe. So it is suitable for both your vegan and vegetarian friends.
- Multiple serving options: the dip can be served with store bought corn chips, homemade pita chips, air fried tortilla chips and more.
- Versatile and adaptable: you can also use this dip in place of a mayo or creamy sauce in appetizers. Simply scoop a dollop in and decorate with herbs or other ingredients on top.
The photo below is to show you everything you need to make the recipe. For exact measurements, refer to the printable recipe card.
As you can see, the recipe calls for:
- Avocadoes: I use and recommend hass avocadoes for the recipe. Their texture is thick and creamy which holds up perfectly when blitzed till creamy. Ensure they are ripe (soft) and not firm (hard) at all.
- Sweet Chilli Sauce: store bought is totally fine to use and likely to already be in your pantry. This pairs so well with the avocado, it is a match made in heaven.
- Red onion: sweeter than brown onions, this adds a lovely balance to the recipe combination. We need to be mindful of the quantity we use as to not overwhelm the lovely soft avocado flavour with strong bitey onion flavour.
- Salt and pepper: only a little bit of this is needed, but it works well to season the ingredients in the dip.
Here are the step by step instructions to make the recipe. You will need a food processor to combine everything.
- Slice the avocadoes (Photo 1)
- Blitz the red onion (Photo 2)
- Add avocado to food processor (Photo 3)
- Add red onion to the avocado (Photo 4)
How to Make Avocado Sweet Chilli Dip
To make the dip, start by preparing the avocadoes. Using a knife and chopping board, slice them in half and gently remove the seed.
Next add the red onion to the food processor and blitz this till finely diced. Remove it from the food processor and add the avocado to the bowl.
Blitz the avocado till it is smooth and creamy, then add the chopped avocado back to the bowl.
- Add sweet chilli sauce (Photo 5)
- Blitz to combine (Photo 6)
It will only take a couple of minutes to combine the dip ingredients. The texture you are aiming for is smooth and creamy.
The taste is buttery, balanced by sweet flavours and not overwhelmed by the raw onion.
Regular readers know I sometimes like to give before and after photos for dip recipes as it makes it so easy to see what you are aiming for.
The photos above show you how the process of making the recipe will come about. It is as simple as blitzing, combing and serving!
🍽 Serving Suggestions
I most often like to serve this dip with Easy Homemade Pita Chips. They can be air fried or oven baked.
You can also use store bought chips, crudités or tortilla chips. Simply pop the dip in a bowl and the chips around the outside.
You will blink twice and the dip will likely be gobbled up in no time.
👍 How to Guide
How to Store
It is best to serve this dip on the same day it is made. If making slightly in advance, store the dip in a sealed air tight container. Alternatively, transfer to the serving bowl and place cling film (glad wrap) over the top till serving.
How to Freeze
I do not recommend freezing this recipe. It is best served fresh on the day it is prepared.
How to Reheat
This dip is best served cold, however, you can serve with hot or warmed (toasted).
🛎 Tasty Tips
Here are my top tips and tricks so that you can be in the loop from the get go and succeed with the serious yum that is this dip:
- Use ripe avocadoes with no brown spots, that feel soft but not mushy when felt.
- Have some restrain with the red onion as the right amount is perfect, however, too much tastes too onion-ey.
- Same with the sweet chilli sauce, we only need a little bit to tick the flavour boxes.
- Make your own chips to serve with the dip.
- Use the pulse function on the food processor to give you more control on how quickly the ingredients are combined and texture achieved.
🤓 Frequently Asked Questions
What's the difference between avocado dip and guacamole?
Avocado dip is usually smooth and creamy, whereas guacamole texture is chunky.
Avocado dip usually uses minimal ingredients, whereas guacamole has a more extensive list of ingredients.
What mixes good with avocado?
Avocado has a wide variety of delicious pairings. You can trying adding tomato and onion for a guac type dip. Simply blending to a smooth paste and serving with hot chips or using avocado to make thick and creamy smoothies.
Is avocado dip healthy?
Avocadoes are known for their health benefits due to their high (healthy or good) fat component.
This dip can be made healthier by serving with homemade whole wheat pita chips instead of store bought corn chips if you want the better for you option.
😍 More Easy Dip Recipes
If you love dipping and dunking your way through parties (we can be friends for life). Then here are some more of my recipes that will be right up your alley:
- Kalamata Olive Dip
- Cream Cheese Jalapeno Dip
- Labneh Dip
- Spinach Cob Loaf
- Blue Cheese Yogurt Dip
- Cream Cheese Bacon Dip
- Green Olive Dip
Avocado Sweet Chilli Dip
- 1 Food processor
- 3 hass avocados Note 1
- ¼ red onion peeled, Note 2
- 2 tablespoon sweet chilli sauce
- ½ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Dice the onion: Peel the skin from the red onion cut into halves and then quarters. Add one quarter to the food processor and finely dice, then remove and place in a small bowl.
- Prepare the avocadoes: Peel the avocados, remove the seed and scoop the flesh into the food processor, blitz till a smooth consistency.
- Combine: Add the sweet chilli sauce, salt and pepper and pulse to combine.
- To serve: scoop the dip into a serving bowl and serve with hot homemade pita chips.
- Note 1 - Avocadoes: Hass are my favourite and recommended to use for the recipe. Choose ripe avocadoes that are soft but not mushy when pressured slightly in the palm of your hand.
- Note 2 - Red onion: you can use more than ¼ of the onion. I use ¼ to ⅓ of a whole red onion. Go slow when adding it, taste after adding the 1st quarter and add a little bit more as desired. Too much and you will cross the point of no return and the onions will overload the flavour of the avocadoes.
- Note 3 - Serving Suggestions: I like to serve this dip with whole wheat pita chips. You can do the same or serve with toasted (warmed) store bought corn chips.
Recipe published July 2018, updated July 2022 with improved photos. Original recipe.