Grab some avocados, fresh bread with seeds, a lemon, some pepper and get into your kitchen with them!
What is Avocado Toast?
Avocado toast is the simple process of smearing ripe and buttery avocado on crispy toasted bread.
Everyone loves a delicious breakfast. Especially on weekends, when you have a bit more time to think about and plan your meals. If spreading things on toast appeals to you my Homemade Almond Butter, Olive Tapenade Recipe and Artichoke Tapenade Recipes are going to be right up your alley!
This simple avocado toast recipe is one that doesn't take much effort yet provides amazing results.
How to make Simple Avocado Toast
Making avocado toast is when you season the avocado with lemon and cracked pepper and top it with toasted seeds and spread on crunchy toasted bread.
This is an easy avocado recipe that is super quick and easy.
The photo below shows you what we need for this recipe. They are all easy to find ingredients.
- multigrain sourdough
- sunflower seeds
- sesame seeds
For the bread, you can use any sort you like. My preference is for sourdough multigrain as it has both taste and texture. I also like the shape of it as it is nice and rounded.
Choose ripe avocados that soften slightly when you push them gently from the outside
By all means use white, wholemeal, rye or whichever bread is your favourite.
Simple avocado toast method
Making avocado toast is simple and easy!
Start by slicing your avocados in ½ and removing the seed.
The image on the right shows you that the next step is to use the knife to make gently make cuts across both directions of the avocado. This makes it so much easier to scoop out the avocado so we can season it. Using a spoon is easiest.
How to you make Simple Avocado Toast?
The next steps for this recipe are to season our avocado.
There are 4 easy steps to follow:
- butter the bread (or use spray oil for a vegan option)
- mash the avocado in a bowl with a fork
- squeeze in some lemon juice
- add pepper
Then all you have to do us use your fork to really mix the lemon and pepper into the avocado.
Avocado toast toppings
There are so many options that you can take when making avocado toast, keeping it simple is one of them.
You could also try adding additional toppings.
- smoked salmon
The key is to keep it simple. Some recipes, like this one are perfect because of their simplicity. When you deviate too much from the basic ingredients you loose the joy of a tasty, easy recipe.
Is avocado on toast healthy
One of the reasons I like this recipe is that it is so healthy!
It is also easy to make it healthier. The butter is optional as you can use spray oil if you prefer.
If in doubt at all, have a look at the nutritional information in the recipe card as that will give you insight into the exact breakdown of the ingredients.
What is good with avocado
I think avocado is amazing on its on. But like all ingredients, sometimes you want to make it even more amazing.
These are all ingredients that go well with avocado:
- boiled eggs
- sriracha sauce
You have so many options that you can try a new one each time you make this recipe!
Simple avocado toast questions answered:
About the recipe:
- use ripe avocados
- you can use bottled lemon juice if you need
- to make the recipe vegan, omit the butter
- you can add salt if you wish
- use your favourite bread, mine is multigrain sourdough
Your quick questions answered:
- you can use a frypan or toaster for the bread
- the seeds take about 2-3 mins to toast
- this recipe is not suitable to freeze (bread, yes, avo, no)
- serve on its own or with an avocado topping suggested above
- This is an EASY recipe
The textures of the smooth buttery avocado topped with the hard little seeds work so well together!
This is one of the best ways I know of to start the day. It is nutritious, delicious and you are going to LOVE it.
To serve your toast top it with the toasted seeds. These are a delicious texture and give you that next level to your avocado toast.
To serve your toast top it with the toasted seeds. These are a delicious texture and give you that crunchy delicious taste that works so well with toast.
Simple avocado toast is one of the easiest breakfast recipes you can make, why not try it for lunch or dinner too!
If avocado is your thing and this simple avocado toast makes you want to have breakfast in bed every weekend, then check our these other great recipes to start the day with:
- Zucchini Slice Muffins (vegetarian recipe)
- Gluten Free Zucchini Slice
- Hashbrown Grilled Cheese (I seriously love this recipe!!)
- Tater Tot Breakfast Frittata (tater tots, oh YUM!!)
Or for Avocado lovers, check out this dip:
Or you might want to start your day with a refreshing smoothie. If that is the case, these recipes will tick your boxes:
If you make this recipe, tag @sweetcaramelsunday on Instagram and use hashtag #sweetcaramelsunday Or you can upload a photo (I would love to see) via the pin on my recipes board >> Sweet Caramel Sunday Recipes board >> Pinterest
Simple Avocado Toast
- Fry pan
Simple Avocado Toast
- 2 avocado
- ½ lemon
- 1 teaspoon cracked pepper
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 40 grams butter spreadable
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- 4 slices multigrain sourdough
Simple Avocado Toast
- Cut your avocado in ½, remove the seed and make cuts in both directions through to the skin. Use a spoon to scoop out the flesh and place in a bowl. Repeat with other avocado.
- Season with lemon juice and cracked pepper. Use a fork to mix through to combine. Note 1
- Butter one slice of bread on one side and repeat for the 3 remaining pieces of bread.
- Place a medium fry pan on the stove at a medium heat. Cook for 4 mins one side, before using tongs to flip to the other side
- Combine sunflower and sesame seeds into a non stick pan. Cook for approximately 2-3 mins or until the are light golden brown.
- Scoop your seasoned avocado onto each slice of toasted bread. Top with toasted sesame seeds.
- Note 1 serving suggestion is 1 piece of toast with avocado and toasted seeds
- Note 2 if any lemon seeds fall onto the avocado when squeezing the lemon, simply remove and disguard.