Easy Sausage Rolls fresh from the oven are amazing!! A simple sausage roll pastry recipe perfect for lunch or appetizers is a must have in your cookbook! These 4 ingredient sausage rolls are the best easy homemade sausage rolls you can make!
Appetizer recipes are so fun to make as you know the guests will be hungry when arriving at your door! A few popular options are Caprese Bites, Melon and Prosciutto Skewers, Baked Brie with Garlic and our Spinach Cob Loaf.
Sometimes though, you need homemade sausage rolls and that is where these ones with only 4 ingredients come to the table. Just like your mum’s easy sausage rolls, these bad boys will be loved by all!
Pop some tomato sauce in serving bowls as you plate the sausage rolls, everybody likes to dunk and eat!
This recipe is designed to be easy. Incredibly easy in fact. We don’t even need sausage mince to make them!
We achieve that through minimizing our prep time and maximizing convenience. Who needs sausage rolls with beef mince when you can make them with actual sausages!!
How to make sausage rolls and keep it easy?
To make these easy sausage rolls we need to start with 4 simple ingredients. They are shown in the photo below.
As you can see we have:
- beef sausages
- puff pastry
- sesame seeds
Easy homemade sausage rolls method
So that you can nail this recipe from the very 1st time you make it, I have some step by step process shots below that you can follow easily.
Then we need to remove the casing from our sausages. This is super easy, I find a small fork works best. Start at one end and work your way up. It will come off in one piece (photo 3).
Next we place our sausage (skin removed) onto our puff pastry sheet (photo 4).
We roll our pastry around the sausage and then cut along the edge (photo 5). Then we cut the pastry covered sausages into 3 (photo 6)
The next step is to brush the individual sausage rolls with the whisked egg (photo 7). It is handy to have a pastry brush to achieve this.
Then we sprinkle some sesame seeds on top of the wet egg and they will easily stick (photo 8).
4 ingredient sausage rolls
Once your sausage rolls have sesame seeds, we place them in the oven and wait for them to cook.
You will notice the pastry turn a golden colour as it becomes all crispy, flaky and delicious!
Can you pre make sausage rolls?
One of the reasons why this recipe is so easy is that you can pre make your sausage rolls and store them in a sealed container (for up to 3 months) in the freezer until you are ready to use them. Cooked or raw freeze well.
Sausage rolls and tomato sauce go together like Batman and Robin, you can’t have 1 without the other!
You can then either cook them from frozen or allow them to defrost for a few hours before popping them in the oven.
Easy Sausage Rolls quick info:
About the recipe:
- we use plain beef sausage rolls for this recipe
- the skin of the sausages are removed before rolling them in puff pastry
- we use the whisk egg to glaze the pastry so that it turns golden
- the egg also helps to create a sticky surface we sprinkle the sesame seeds onto
FAQs to make sausage rolls
- you can use any flavour of sausages you like
- place the sausage in the middle of the pastry to roll
- this is a freezer friendly recipe
- you can make these in advance
- this is a kid friendly recipe
- the sausage rolls are easy to reheat
- this is an EASY recipe
Sausage rolls pro tips:
These additional tips are so that you can be the masterchef sausage roll maker from the 1st time you them:
- let the pastry defrost so it is soft and easy to work with
- a small fork is easier that a knife to remove the sausage skin
- line your baking tray with greaseproof paper so they slide off easily
- the sesame seeds will stick very easily to the brushed on egg
- for a more gourmet sausage roll appearance wise use black sesame seeds
Party food, finger food and appetisers work for crowds to get them food as soon as they get to the event. Here are some more ideas to inspire you and help you plan a party:
- Grazing Platter (perfect for a crowd)
- Cranberry Brie (with dried cranberries and nuts)
- Caprese Bites (fun to make)
- Spinach Cob Loaf (dip in a bread bowl)
- Melon and Prosciutto Skewers (no bake appetizer)
- Baked Brie with Garlic (this is INSANELY delicious!!)
- Coconut Prawns (shrimp for my American friends)
- Mini Quiches 12 ways (both vego and non vego options)
- Honey Soy Chicken Wings (family favourite recipe)
- Chili Lime Chicken Wings (oven baked recipe)
- Easy Crab Cakes (with dipping sauce)
Easy Sausage Rolls
- Baking tray
Easy Sausage Rolls
- 12 Beef Sausages Note 1
- 6 sheets Frozen Puff Pastry allow to thaw
- 2 Eggs
- Sesame seeds
Easy Sausage Rolls
- Preheat oven to 200°c/400°F, gas 6
- Remove packaging from pastry sheets and set flat in front of you. Allow to defrost (will take 5 mins)
- Remove the casing from each sausage starting at one end and working up to the other. Note 2
- Lay each individual sausage on the pastry sheet and roll the pastry around it. Press gently to seal. Note 3
- Use a knife to cut the excess pastry off each end and then cut each rolled sausage into 3 small sausage rolls Note 4
- Use a pastry brush to coat the top part of the sausage rolls with the whisked eggs Note 5
- Sprinkle sesame seeds over the top of the sausage rolls
- Bake for 35- 40 mins or until the pastry has turned light golden brown
- Serve with tomato sauce
- Note 1 The beauty of this recipe is that you can use any type of sausage you like. Beef, chicken, pork, there are no limits.
- Note 2 I find a small fork (teaspoon size) the most effective way of removing the skin. It helps to open the end up and then you can lift it and run it the length, removing it in one go. Try and hold the sausage flat as the skin will get stuck if the sausage gets bent.
- Note 3 make this a snug fit so when the pastry cooks, it stays tight around the sausage
- Note 4 there is a small amount of discarded pastry at each end that is cut off as the sausages are a little bit shorter than the pastry width.
- Note 5 you don't do the pastry that is on the bottom but if any of the pastry is not sticking ie at the join part, use the egg to stick this together.
There is nothing better than a hot fresh sausage roll with flaky pastry being dipped in tomato sauce! Pop some on the plate and watch them get devoured. Big kids and little ones will get into these.
Homemade sausage rolls fresh from the oven, are the best ever and you are in for a treat if you whip up a batch.
I would love to hear your feedback in the comments below. As always sing out if you have any questions.
Check out these recipes for further inspiration: