Mini Sausage Rolls are the perfect party food! Making cocktail sausage rolls with crispy golden puff pastry and real sausages, is too easy. You will love the simplicity of this recipe! Golden brown homemade sausage rolls paired with your favourite sauce are the easiest appetizer around town!
🤍 Recipe Highlights
Of the many reasons to love this recipe, these are the ones which I think you will appreciate the most:
- Kid friendly.
- Freezer friendly.
- Easy party food.
- 2 bite finger food.
- Perfect appetizer for game days, festive periods, special occasions or lunch boxes.
- Can be easily modified with substitutions and variations.
- Straight forward steps to make with an easy combination of flavours.
- Ticks a lot of boxes including convenient and popular.
- Suitable for all skill levels of cooking.
- Flaky golden pastry with soft sausage filling.
Party food that ticks the savory, tasty, easy and loved by all boxes ensures that they will fly off the plate! Blink twice and you will miss them.
The photo below is to give you a visual summary of the ingredients needed for the recipe. For exact measurements and detailed instructions please refer to the printable recipe card.
As you can see, the recipe calls for:
- Store bought ready-rolled puff pastry: this has to be one of the most handy and versatile ingredients that you can use. Keep some in the freezer and whip it out for all kind of's of sweet and savory ideas. It is cheap and lends itself to a multitude of uses.
- Beef sausages: I am using standard beef sausages. We use a sharp knife to remove the casing. You can choose to use basic (budget friendly) sausages or a premium variety with additional ingredients.
- Sesame seeds: these are to top the sausage rolls before we cook them.
- Egg: we whisk this and use it both to seal the sausage rolls as well as brush some on top to produce the golden colour of the pastry and allow the sesame seeds to stick.
Top Tip 1: Always use raw sausages (not frozen). They will be soft so work gently with them.
Here are the step by step instructions to make the recipe. Grab the pastry out as the very 1st thing you do, so that it can defrost as you prepare the rest of the ingredients. We need it to be at room temperature for it to easily roll.
- Use a sharp knife to remove the casing from the sausages (Photo 1)
- Whisk the egg in a small bowl (Photo 2)
- Wrap the pastry around the sausage (Photo 3)
- Seal the pastry with a brush of whisked egg (Photo 4)
You will find it easiest to remove the casing if you hold the sausage in one hand and cut up and along the sausage with the other hand.
We don't cut the actual sausage at all. Only the casing which keeps the filling inside.
Once you have rolled the pastry around the sausage into a log shape, leave enough to finish the roll as well as a small bit of pastry at the base.
Top Tip 2: A pastry brush is the best way to brush the egg mixture onto the puff pastry as you seal the sausage rolls.
- Cut into mini sausage rolls (Photo 5)
- Place them on a lined tray and brush with egg (Photo 6)
- Sprinkle sesame seeds over the top of each (Photo 7)
- Bake for 25 - 30 mins (Photo 8)
For 1 standard size sausage, you will get 5 mini sausage rolls. Use a sharp knife and cut straight down.
👩🍳 How to Make Mini Sausage Rolls
Brushing the top of the sausage rolls with egg helps to give them that lovely golden colour.
It also helps the sesame seeds to stick to the top of the sausage rolls. Once you have brushed on the whisked egg on top of each roll place the tray into a preheated oven.
The baking time is 25 to 30 mins. Once cooked use an oven mits to remove the tray from the oven and allow them to cool for 5 - 10 mins.
Top Tip 3: If you want to freeze the sausage rolls, allow them to cool completely before transferring to a sealed, air tight container.
The sausage rolls are best served hot.
You can make them in advance (1-2 days) and store in the fridge.
When ready to serve, simply remove from the fridge, heat and then plate with a small bowl of sauce.
There is no better party food, than the combination of the crispy, flaky pastry, the juicy sausage and the dunk of tomato sauce.
You can think of them like a disappearing act as they will be there one minute and gone the next!! The pastry flakes in the sauce bowl, the only proof that they were there in the 1st place.
👍 How to Guide
How to Store
The sausage rolls are best stored in a sealed, air tight container.
How to Freeze
To freeze the sausage rolls, simply allow them to cool after cooking.
Once cool, place them in a sealed, air tight container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
How to Reheat
To reheat the sausage rolls, use the oven or air fryer.
You can reheat them either from cooled or frozen.
Simply place the sausage rolls onto a baking tray or into the air fryer basket. Then reheat for 15- 20 mins. Allow an additional 10 mins if reheating frozen sausage rolls.
🍽 Serving Suggestions
It is not a party without typical party food! These mini sausage rolls are ideal served with either tomato sauce, BBQ or a combination of both.
Some additional party food recipes you might like to consider serving are:
- Easy Sausage Rolls
- Pork and Fennel Sausage Rolls
- Chicken Sausage Rolls
- Beef Mince Sausage Rolls
- Mini Sausages (Cocktail Sausages)
- Pinwheel Sandwiches
- Air Fryer Frozen Mozzarella Sticks
- Mini Quiches
- Air Fryer Frozen Samosa
😉 Substitutions and Variations
There are many different thing's you can do to customise this recipe to suit the occasion and taste palate. Here are a few of my favourites:
- Use pork sausages, chicken or vegetarian as a substitute for beef.
- Substitute poppy seeds on top for the sesame seeds.
- Spread a thin layer of Dijon mustard onto the puff pastry sheets before adding the sausage.
- Make longer sausage rolls by cutting each sausage in half (not 5 pieces).
- Sprinkle some dried herbs such as thyme leaves on top.
- Sprinkle some dried onion on top of the sausages before rolling.
- Use gourmet sausages from the butcher if wanting a premium quality.
- For cheesy sausage rolls, grate some mozzarella over the top of the sausage before rolling. This will melt as they bake.
Once you get the hang of these, you will realize how easy they are to customise.
💡 Tasty Tips
These are my top tips and tricks to share with you for mastering the recipe from the get go:
- Remove the puff pastry from the freezer as a starting point to allow it to thaw.
- For kid's parties, you might want to skip using garlic and herb flavoured sausages. Often basic flavours are best!
- Store the egg wash in the fridge as you are preparing the other ingredients.
- Use either a silicon baking mat or baking/parchment paper.
- Turn the oven off initially, but keep the sausage rolls in there as they start to cool.
- Use kitchen tongs to transfer the cooked sausage rolls to a cooling rack.
- You can freeze uncooked sausage rolls and oven bake them on the day you need them.
🤓 Frequently Asked Questions
How many mini sausage rolls is a serving?
Aim for each person having 2 to 4 mini sausage rolls for one serving.
10 sausages and 5 sheets of puff pastry will make 50 mini sausage rolls.
How long does it take to cook frozen mini sausage rolls?
Frozen Mini Sausage Rolls will take 25 to 30 mins to cook in the oven.
Should I defrost sausage rolls before cooking?
You do not need to defrost sausage rolls before cooking.
Simply place the frozen sausage rolls onto a silicon baking mat on a baking tray and place in the oven.
How do you cook frozen sausage rolls in the oven?
Place the frozen sausage rolls onto a baking tray and then bake for 25 to 30 mins. Test to see that they are ready, by removing one, cutting it in half and checking that the sausage is heated through.
😍 More Easy Party Food Recipes
Parties are the best not only because of all of the presents, but because of all of the delicious party food!
Some ideas that you might like to try are:
- Tim Tam Slice
- Beef Mince Sausage Rolls
- Crispy Fried Mushrooms
- Pork and Fennel Sausage Rolls
- Cheese and Bacon Pinwheels
- Corn Relish Dip
- Ham Cream Cheese Roll Ups
- Gherkin Dip
- Chocolate Caramel Slice
- Air Fryer Stuffed Jalapenos
You will find that a combination of sweet, savory and yum do the trick every time!
Mini Sausage Rolls (Cocktail Sausage Rolls)
- 1 Chopping board
- 1 Sharp Knife
- 1 Small bowl
- 1 Mini whisk
- 1 Pastry Brush
- 1 Flat Baking Tray
- 1 Silicon Baking Mat
- 5 sheets puff pastry Note 1
- 10 beef sausages Note 2
- 1 egg whisked
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds Note 3
- Oven: preheat your oven to 180°C / 350-375°F / Gas Mark 4-5.
- Puff Pastry: remove frozen puff pastry sheets from the freezer and allow to thaw. Note 4
- Sausages: working one by one hold the sausage in one hand and use a sharp knife to remove the casing of each sausage. Discard Note 5
- Roll: place thawed puff pastry sheet onto chopping board. Lay sausage at one edge of the pastry and roll to cover. Use a pastry brush dipped in whisked egg to seal the overlap of the pastry.
- Cut into mini sausage rolls: use a sharp knife to remove each empty end and cut the long sausage roll into 5 mini ones. Repeat for all sausages. Note 6
- Oven bake: place cocktail sausage rolls onto baking mat. Transfer to the middle rack of the oven. Bake for 25 to 30 mins. Then remove and allow to cool slightly.
- Serve: provide tomato or barbecue sauce for serving.
- Note 1 We use store bought frozen puff pastry sheets and thaw them. This saves time, is an economical choice and delivers results.
- Note 2 Depending on the occasion you may want to get basic sausages or premium ones. For a kid's party, you can go wrong with standard beef sausages. We use a sharp knife to remove the casing and then simply wrap the sausage in the thawed puff pastry.
- Note 3 As a substitute you can use poppy seeds if you prefer.
- Note 4 You can remove the pastry from the freezer and place it in the fridge overnight prior to cooking to allow it to be ready when you come to make the recipe.
- Note 5 You will find the easiest way to remove the sausage casing is to use the tip of the knife to find one end, slide it under, then move the knife along the length of the sausage to cut the casing. Then simply pull it off and discard.
- Note 6 It will be easier to keep the sausage rolls uniform if you place the sausage in the middle of the pastry and roll to cover. When cutting, simply discard each (empty) end.