Coco Pop Crackles are a fun and easy recipe! You can have your cake and eat it too with these coco pop cakes. The perfect no bake party treat, chocolate crackles with coco pops are effortless to make.
Recipes like my Golden Syrup Cornflake Cakes, Cornflake Biscuits and Tim Tam Slice are fun ways to get our bake on!
My Rocky Road Cakes and Mars Bar Cakes are the perfect no bake treat. My Coffee Slice will get you caffeinated!
🤍 Recipe Highlights
I have summarised everything that you will come to know and love (LOVE ❤) about the recipe in the points below:
- Kid friendly.
- Party treats that are simple to make.
- Make ahead of time and refrigerate as needed.
- No bake recipe!
- Simple, easy to find ingredients.
- Easily decorate with sprinkles and or nuts as desired.
- The recipe comes together in as little as 15 minutes.
- Inexpensive ingredients that tick the baked goods box.
- Recipe can be doubled to produce a larger quantity.
- Little clean up and minimal equipment needed.
- Popular across age groups and cultures.
The photo below is to show you everything you need to make the recipe. Please refer to the printable recipe card for specific ingredient measurements as well as detailed instructions.
As you can see, we need:
- Coco Pops (Choco Rice/Chocolate Rice): whatever the name says on the box, we are looking for chocolate rice bubbles or krispies. This is a hugely popular breakfast cereal. You don't need a premium brand, budget friendly is fine!
- Copha Powder: as too much chocolate is not in my vocabulary! We get the chocolate taste from the cereal as well as through the addition of coco powder.
- Copha: you will find this in the refrigerated section of the store, likely where the butter and solid lard is. It is vegetable shortening that is made with coconut oil.
- Desiccated coconut: this is the most common type of coconut sold. It is the short, uniform type, not the shredded longer type.
- Icing Sugar: this is also known as confectioner's sugar. It is a soft, white, powdered not granulated type of sugar.
Tasty Tip 1: you can decorate your coco pop cakes with sprinkles and or nuts or marshmallows. Simply stir this ingredient in before adding the copha or for marshmallows after (to minimise them melting).
👩🍳 How to Make Coco Pop Crackles
The photos below are the step by step instructions to make the recipe. We start by lining a 12 hole muffin tin.
- Line a 12 hole muffin tin with patty papers (Photo 1)
- Place copha into heatproof jug (Photo 2)
- Add coconut, cocoa powder, sugar & coco pops to bowl (Photo 3)
- Stir to combine (Photo 4)
Top Tip 2: Get the kid's to sift the icing sugar directly into the bowl, using a colander with a fine weave (larger and easier than other sifting methods).
- Microwave copha for 4 - 5 mins until melted (Photo 5)
- Pour melted copha over coco pop mix (Photo 6)
- Use a wooden spoon to stir copha into mix (Photo 7)
- Use 2 dessert spoons to spoon mixture into muffin tin (Photo 8)
Tasty Tip 2: The jug will be very hot after it has been in the microwave for 4-5 mins. Use an oven mit or tea towel as you grab the handle.
😉 Substitutions and Variations
If you want to make this recipe with rice bubbles, you can. Increase the coco powder from 2 to 3-4 tablespoons.
Have some fun and add smarties, sprinkles, or nuts to the coco pop crackles!
Make this into a slice using a square tin and top with a layer of melted chocolate for a no bake slice version of the same.
🍽 Serving Suggestions
Is it party time or what!?!
Coco Pop Cakes or crackles are party food that work time and time again.
Just like my Golden Syrup Cornflake Cakes (Honey Crackles) they can be made ahead and served as needed.
For savory party food try my Air Fryer Party Pies, Air Fryer Sausage Rolls and or Air Fryer Frozen Spring Rolls.
👍 How to Guide
How to Store
Coco Pop Crackles are best stored in the fridge in a sealed air tight container.
If left out of the fridge for too long, they can start to melt in a hot climate.
How to Freeze
It is not recommended to freeze this recipe.
How to Reheat
These are a no bake treat and do not require cooking or reheating.
💡 Tasty Tips
Here are my top tips and tricks to share so you will love making this recipe over and over again!
- Don't skip using paper patty liners as you won't be able to get the chocolate crackles out of the pan.
- When filling the muffin tin with papers, ensure there is only 1 paper in each.
- Consistently stir the dry mixture together prior to adding the melted copha.
- Sift the icing sugar before adding to the mix.
- Use an oven mit or tea towel when removing the glass jug from the microwave as it will be very hot.
- Use a mini whisk to melt any excess blobs of copha simply by stirring.
- Ensure that the mixture is consistently combined once the copha is added so you can fill the muffin holes in one go and not have to stop and re stir the mix.
🤓 Frequently Asked Questions
What is a good substitute for Copha?
Vegetable shortening is a good substitute for copha. It is also known as solid fat or lard.
Can you melt Copha in the microwave?
Yes, you can. I recommend using a heat proof jug to melt the copha in the microwave. For a standard 250 gram block of copha, it will take 4- 5 minutes to melt at high heat.
Are Coco Pops just chocolate Rice Krispies?
Coco Pops are a chocolate version of rice krispies or rice bubbles.
You will also find varieties called 'choco rice' or 'chocolate rice' in major supermarkets.
Are there Coco Pops in America?
This breakfast cereal is known by a few different names, but they are basically all the same.
Chocolate rice, Choco Rice, Chocolate Rice Krispies, Coco Pops, Choco Pops, Rice Bubbles with chocolate.
You can also think of this ingredients combination as being Chocolate Crispy Cakes recipe or Chocolate Rice Krispie Cakes.
How Long Will chocolate crackles keep?
When stored in a sealed air tight container, chocolate crackles will keep for up to a week.
😍 More Easy No Bake Sweet Recipes
If you love bringing together sweet treats that are effortless and require no baking, you might like to try each of the following:
- Malteser Rocky Road
- Coconut Bark
- Christmas Rocky Road (the perfect festive treat)
- Tim Tam Cheesecake Balls
- Lemon Cheesecake Bliss Balls
- Baileys Cheesecake Balls
- Cherry Ripe Balls
Tasty Tip 3: In warmer climates, some sweet treats will need to be refrigerated until ready to serve so they don't melt (Hello Sunny QLD).
So get your bake on, or your no bake as the case maybe and rock your coco pops!
PIN and save the recipe for later!
Hunger still got you? You can SUBSCRIBE to receive the latest recipes, follow me on Pinterest, Instagram or Facebook.
Coco Pop Crackles (Coco Pop Cakes)
- 1 Large mixing bowl
- 1 Wooden spoon
- 1 Heat proof jug
- 1 Muffin tin
- 12 Patty Pan Liners
- 2 Dessert spoons
- 4 cups coco pops (choco rice) Note 1
- 2 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 cup icing sugar sifted
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 250 grams copha
- Line a 12 hole muffin tin with patty pan liners
- Add coco pops to large mixing bowl. Add desiccated coconut, sifted icing sugar and cocoa powder. Use a spatula to stir until dry ingredients are consistently combined.
- Add the copha to a heat proof jug and microwave for 4-5 minutes until melted. Note 2
- Remove melted copha from the microwave and pour over the dry mix. Stir until consistently combined.
- Use a dessert spoon and scoop the coco pop mixture into the patty pan liners.
- Place muffin tin into the fridge to and let the coco pop crackles set for a minimum of 1 hour.
- Note 1 Coco Pops are a chocolate version of rice krispies or rice bubbles. You don't need to use a premium brand of cereal for this recipe. Some major supermarkets have versions such as 'chocolate rice' or 'choco rice', home brand is also fine to use!
- Note 2 The jug will be VERY hot, so use an oven mit or tea towel when removing it from the oven. The glass will stay very hot for a little while also, so use caution, especially when working with children.
Tiffany Bennet says
We made these for my nephews party, they worked perfectly. Love using the microwave so we didn't have to turn the stove on. Great recipe. Thanks.
Thanks Tiffany!! I am glad that you enjoyed them. Appreciate your feedback.
Emily Brown says
Made these earlier in the day and just tried one after dinner. They are very crunchy with a good chocolate taste, yum.
Thanks Emily! It is great to get your feedback on the recipe.