Christmas Rocky Road is a fun festive recipe! With marshmallows, pistachio nuts, cherries and candy smothered in white chocolate, everyone will love this sweet treat. A no bake treat that everyone will love and devour in minutes!
"This recipe has been included by Twinkl among their top picks for Delicious Christmas Dessert Recipes".
🤍 Recipe Highlights
- This recipe uses simple ingredients that don't take too long to bring together!
- With pops of spearmint, glace cherries, pistachios and marshmallows, we simply combine and mix with melted chocolate.
- Christmas baking allows us to let our creative selves take centre stage, get the kids into the kitchen with you and indulge our sweet tooth a little more than usual.
- This easy Christmas rocky road recipe will be your favourite every year to come!
The ingredients needed for the recipe are shown in the photo below. I love the idea of using white chocolate for Christmas baking, if you like, you could also use the equivalent milk or dark.
As you can see, the recipe calls for:
- Marshmallows: you can use either large marshmallows cut into halves or mini marshmallows. I used to always use the large ones, but I find when using the small ones, you don't have to cut them so it saves a little time and effort!
- Pistachios: this is to add flecks of green in our rocky road. It is quite common to use peanuts in Rocky Road recipes, but when it comes to Christmas, we spice it up a little and use a premium nut for the festive occasion!
- Spearmint leaves: these bring both pops of colour and flavour to our Rocky Road. I use kitchen scissors and chop each leaf into 4 pieces. There is a delightful taste when biting into the rocky road with the spearmint flavour coming through!
- Glace cherries: again, this is an ingredient that is perfect for the festive season! They bring colour and a soft chewy texture to the rocky road
- Olive oil: this is an optional ingredient. I use it as it helps to ensure less cracking of the chocolate when cutting the rocky road into pieces.
- White chocolate: you can use chocolate melts, chocolate bits, chocolate pieces or a block of cooking chocolate broken into pieces.
Tasty Tips: I find it easiest to prep all of the ingredients, ie cut the spearmint leaves at the start as then all of the fillings can simply be stirred together. I recommend using the microwave to melt the chocolate in a heatproof jug. This is a fast and fool proof method and it doesn't take too long!
The photo below is to show you what you need to make the recipe. Please refer to the printable recipe card for exact measurements.
- Add the filling ingredients to a large bowl (Photo 1)
- Use a spoon and stir them together (Photo 2)
- Add white chocolate and olive oil to a heat proof jug (Photo 3)
- Microwave the chocolate to melt it and stir to combine (Photo 4)
👩🍳 How to Make Chocolate Christmas Rocky Road
To make the rocky road, we combine the fillings then cover them in melted white chocolate. This combination gets stirred together with a wooden spoon and transferred into a lined baking dish as shown in the photos below.
- Combine melted chocolate with fillings (Photo 5)
- Stir to combine (Photo 6)
- Transfer wet rocky road into lined tin (Photo 7)
- Place in the fridge for a minimum of 1 hr to set (Photo 8)
You will find that the rocky road will start to set straight away and be reasonably firm after 1 to 2 hours. You can also leave it overnight.
🍽 Serving Suggestions
Once it is set, remove it from the fridge, place it on the bench for 10-20 mins and then use a sharp knife to cut it into pieces.
When cutting rocky road, I usually aim for 36 mini pieces, but as Rocky road has a few more lumps and bumps, I aim for 16 square pieces.
You can do this by cutting the large square into 4 and then each of those squares into 4 pieces.
As you can see from the photo below, I allow a slight overhang to the baking paper so that the paper can be grabbed and pulled up and out of the tin.
This is such a fun recipe and you can get the kid's to help buy stirring the fillings and mixing the chocolate in!
👍 How to Guide
How to Store
Store the rocky road in the fridge in a sealed, air tight container. It will last for at least 10 days or more.
🧐 Frequently Asked Questions
Why do they call it Rocky Road?
Rocky Road was created to give people a fun recipe to turn their worries upside down.
The original recipe started with marshmallows, walnuts and chocolate ice cream.
How long will Rocky Road keep?
Rocky road can be kept in a sealed air tight container for 2-3 weeks.
This makes it the perfect gift giving idea as it can be made, sliced and packaged for sweet treats for the festive season.
Can I freeze homemade Rocky Road?
This homemade rocky road can be frozen and kept in the freezer for up to 1 month.
To defrost, simply remove from the freezer and allow to thaw either in the fridge or on the bench.
How do you melt chocolate for baking?
The 2 most common methods for melting chocolate for baking are either on the stove or in the microwave.
On the stove, you add the chocolate on top of a water filled saucepan and allow the steam to melt the chocolate.
In the microwave, you place the heatproof jug with chocolate inside and heat in 30 second bursts, stirring as you go. Or for a quicker version 1 to 2 mins till all of the chocolate is melted.
😍 More Easy Chocolate Recipes
If you love festive baking (don't we all) then you might like to try any or all of the following recipes:
- Rocky Road Chocolate
- Snickers Fudge
- Mint Aero Fudge
- Rocky Road Cakes
- Microwave Chocolate Fudge
- Gingerbread Fudge
- Slow Cooker Baileys Fudge
You can also find all of my Christmas recipes in the one spot! xx🎄xx.
Christmas Rocky Road
- Baking/parchment paper
- Slice tray/cake tin
- Large mixing bowl
- Large heatproof jug
- 600 grams white chocolate Note 1
- 2 cups mini marshmallows Note 2
- ½ cup pistachio nuts Note 3
- 1 cup glace cherries roughly chopped
- 1 cup spearmint leaves roughly chopped, Note 4
- Line a square slice or cake tin with greaseproof paper (Tray dimensions 24cm x 5cm, 9 inch x 2 inches). Leave an overhang on the sides.
- Add marshmallows, pistachio nuts, glace cherries and spearmint leaves to a large mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
- Pour melted chocolate over combined filling ingredients and stir till consistently mixed together.
- Transfer wet rocky road into lined cake tin and place in the fridge for 1 -2 hours to set.
- Once set, remove from fridge, allow to sit for 10 - 20 mins and then use a sharp knife to cut into pieces.
- Store in a sealed airt tight container in the fridge for 2 to 3 weeks.
- Note 1 You can use chocolate melts, bits, pieces or a block broken into pieces. Ensure you use the equivalent amount as per the recipe and that you use cooking chocolate, not regular chocolate.
- Note 2 Mini marshmallows are perfect as you don't need to chop them, making them both quick and easy. If you want to use regular size marshmallows, cut them in halves with kitchen scissors before combining them with the other filling ingredients.
- Note 4 This is a lolly/candy that is commonly sold in Australia. It is a green spearmint flavoured sugar coasted chewy candy. I use kitchen scissors and cut each leaf into 4 small pieces.