Chocolate Caramel Slice is a sweet treat dream come true! This quick and easy caramel slice uses simple ingredients topped with chocolate for a decadent treat. Also known as Millionaire's slice, it will melt like sweet butter in your mouth 😍. This caramel slice without coconut is going to be your go to favourite whenever you are craving something sweet, delicious and irresistible.
🤍 Recipe Highlights
- Easy recipe: his recipe is not only quick and easy. It uses the microwave not the stove top to make it fuss free and effortless!
- Classic bakery treat: with a biscuit base, smooth caramel filling and layer of milk chocolate on top this slice goes down a treat!
- Chocolate caramel bars: sometimes you need a recipe for a bake sale, work party, friends dropping over, afternoon tea or picnic. This recipe is versatile and ticks all of those on a needs basis!
- Loved by all and so popular: Often referred to as Millionaire's shortbread, caramel shortbread or caramel squares the common denominator is yum, yum and yummo!
The ingredients needed to make the recipe are shown in the photo below. Please refer to the printable recipe card for specific ingredient measurements.
- Milk chocolate: we use milk chocolate for the top layer of the slice. It seals the caramel in and creates a lovely contrast between the filling and crunchy biscuit base.
- Olive oil: we use a small amount of olive oil in with the chocolate when we are melting it. This is to ensure that the chocolate layer doesn't crack as we cut the slice into pieces.
- Butter: we use this in both the caramel filling of the slice and the base of the slice. Butter is one of the 3 ingredients needed to make the caramel.
- Sweetened condensed milk: this is the 2nd of our ingredients needed to make the caramel filling. We use 1 standard tin and you can pour straight from that tin and scrape any excess out as it tends to 'stick' a little to the inside of the tin.
- Brown sugar: this is the final of the 3 ingredients we need to make our caramel filling.
- Butter (slice base): this is the 2nd use of butter in the ingredients. This time we are using it to bring together the blitzed biscuits to form the base of the slice. We melt this in the microwave
- Shortbread biscuits: I love using biscuits when making slices for the base layer as it makes for effortless energy! I have used both shortbread and scotch finger biscuits at times when making this chocolate caramel slice. So you can substitute either, as long as you keep the same measurement.
Tasty tip: some recipes for caramel slice will indicate to use the stove top, but that can be time consuming and take a lot of effort! Using the microwave is the quickest way to make the caramel saving you energy with great results just the same 👍😉.
Here are the step by step instructions to make this chocolate caramel slice recipe. You will need a cake tin and food processor for the initial steps. Line a square pan tin (24cm x 5cm, 9" x 2") with baking/parchment paper, leaving a 1-2cm overhang on all 4 sides (to 'pull slice out').
- Add biscuits (cookies) to food processor (Photo 1)
- Blitz for 15 - 20 seconds till they are a fine crumb (Photo 2)
- Transfer blitzed biscuits to a mixing bowl (Photo 3)
- Add butter to heatproof glass jug (Photo 4)
👩🍳 How to Make Chocolate Caramel Slice
To make the chocolate caramel slice, start by adding the vanilla biscuits needed for the base to the food processor. Blitz these for about 15 to 20 seconds.
The texture we are looking for the biscuits to become is fine and powder like. When blitzing there should be no chunks or pieces of biscuits left. If there is any, use the pulse function on the food processor to blitz a little more till they are gone.
- Combine blitzed biscuits and melted butter in mixing bowl (Photo 5)
- Stir to combine (Photo 6)
- Transfer the base mix into the lined tray and press to flatten, oven bake for 10 mins (Photo 7)
- Combine sweetened condensed milk, brown sugar and butter in large heatproof jug (Photo 8)
The biscuits and butter will come together very easily. I stir with either a spatula or spoon till consistently mixed and then simply transfer into slice tray.
The use of a flat based glass pressing the slice base ingredients into the prepared tin is to flatten the layer to a consistent amount.
- Microwave the caramel ingredients, remove and stir, microwave again (Photo 9)
- Whisk the caramel vigorously for 2 mins to combine (Photo 10)
- Have the cooled biscuits base ready for caramel layer (Photo 11)
- Pour the caramel onto the golden brown biscuit base (Photo 12)
I recommend the use of a large microwave safe jug for the caramel. The one I am using is 8 litres.
We need a bit of space in there as we whisk to ensure the caramel comes together without any lumps of the brown sugar.
- Microwave chocolate and olive oil (Photo 13)
- Get the slice with caramel layer ready (Photo 14)
- Stir melted chocolate and olive oil till smooth (Photo 15)
- Pour melted chocolate over caramel filling (Photo 16)
🍜 Caramel Slice Recipe Steps
I find the easiest method to ensure that the chocolate layer is smooth is to pour the chocolate topping onto the caramel layer and then pick up the tin and move it around so that the chocolate flows out into a layer.
If you use a spatula for this step, the chocolate won't be smooth, rather it will have a textured top with little ripples.
If there are any excess bits of chocolate on the side from using this technique, you will find that they simply can be pushed off when cutting the slice into pieces.
The slice will set reasonable quickly in the fridge, however, you can also leave it overnight before cutting if you wish.
When ready to portion, simply remove from the fridge, place on bench for around 15 mins, then use a sharp knife to score the top layer and then cut the slice into neat slices.
👍 How to Guide
How to Store
You can store the cut slice in the fridge for up to a week in a sealed, airtight container. (But you may need a padlock and key as it is simply irresistible!).
😉 Substitutions and Variations
Here are my sub ins and outs that you might be thinking about as you read the post and I will tell you if I think they will work or why they won't:
- You can use milk chocolate, white chocolate, dark chocolate or caramilk chocolate for the slice topping if you wish.
- For a shortbread base, use the equivalent amount of shortbread biscuits in place of the Scotch finger biscuits.
- If you want to sprinkle some coconut on top of the slice, do this when the chocolate is still wet so it will stick.
- An alternative is to use some crushed nuts on top of the chocolate layer for a decorating idea.
- Or you can keep some of the biscuit crumb to the side and sprinkle this over the slice.
This is what I have learnt that will help you master the recipe from the 1st time and every following time:
- Use a little oil in the pan when placing the baking/parchment paper as this will ensure it stays in place.
- Leave a 1-2 cm over hang to allow you to 'pull the slice' out of the tin.
- Ensure your microwave safe jug is a decent size to allow for whisking (stirring vigorously) when needed.
- When pouring the chocolate layer onto the slice, move the slice pan around in your hands and don't use a spatula (for a smooth finish).
🤓 Frequently Asked Questions
Does this slice have a biscuit base?
Yes, this caramel slice has a biscuit base as opposed to a homemade flour and butter base.
How do you cut caramel slices without cracking chocolate?
The trick to cut caramel slices without the chocolate cracking is to add olive oil to the chocolate. Simply combine the oil and milk chocolate in a microwave safe jug and when melted, stir till consistent. The olive oil ensures that the slice can be cut without the chocolate layer cracking as you cut it.
How long does homemade caramel slice last?
Once you have cut your caramel slice into pieces, store it in a sealed air tight container. It will last for up to 1 week (7 days) in the fridge, if you can resist the temptation to eat it all!
😍 More Easy Baked Recipes
If you love baking recipes to whip up a storm, then you might like to check out the following recipes for inspiration:
- Chocolate Zucchini Brownies
- White Chocolate Oreo Balls
- Candy Pinwheels
- Kit Kat Biscuits
- Smarties Cookies
- Malteser Biscuits
- Cornflake Biscuits
- Milky Way Biscuits
- Oreo Balls
- Air Fryer Biscuits
You can also find all of my chocolate recipes in the one spot. It's caramel chocolate heaven divine time my friends, go slice it up!
Chocolate Caramel Slice
- 1 Slice tin Tray dimensions: 24cm x 5cm, 9 inch x 2 inches
- 1 Parchment paper to line the tin
- 1 Food processor to blitz the biscuits
- 1 Spatula
- 1 Large mixing bowl
- 1 Small glass with flat base to melt the chocolate
- 1 Chopsticks to stir the chocolate as it melts
- 400 grams/14 oz shortbread biscuits
- 150 grams/2 sticks of butter butter
- 397 grams/14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 80 grams/3 oz butter
- 220 grams/8 oz milk chocolate melts
- 1 tbs olive oil
- Preheat oven: to 180 degrees F 82.2 degrees C and line a square slice or cake tin with greaseproof paper (Tray dimensions 24cm x 5cm, 9 inch x 2 inches).
- Biscuit base: add shortbread biscuits to the bowl of the food processor and blitz for 15-20 seconds till they are a fine crumb. Transfer to mixing bowl.
- Combine: add butter to heatproof glass jug. Microwave butter for 1 min till melted. Pour melted butter over biscuit crumb and stir to combine. Transfer to lined slice tray and push to flatten using a glass.
- Oven bake: place slice tray into the middle shelf of the oven and bake for 15 mins, till light golden brown. Use oven mits to remove from oven when done and set on cooling rack.
- Caramel layer: add sweetened condensed milk, brown sugar and butter to large microwave safe jug. Microwave for 3 mins, then stir to combine. Microwave for a further 3 mins. Then remove jug from microwave, place on heatproof surface and whisk consistently for 2 mins. Pour caramel over cooked biscuit base. Place in the oven and cook for 10 mins.
- Remove from oven: use an oven mit to remove from the oven and allow to cool on wire rack.
- Chocolate layer: add chocolate melts and olive oil to heatproof jug, microwave in 30 seconds lots x 4, stir till all of the chocolate is melted. Pour melted chocolate over caramel base and then transfer to the fridge to set.
- Serve and enjoy: allow slice to set for an least 2 hours (or overnight), then remove from the fridge and use a sharp knife to cut into pieces. Store in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Recipe published October 2021, updated August 2023, original recipe, more tasty tips for you ❤🥰😘.