Chocolate Zucchini Brownies are moist, fudgy and delicious! This easy brownies recipe focuses on how to make zucchini brownies from scratch with a basic chocolate frosting that will take 1 minute to whip up!
Just like our Zucchini Spice Cake, these double chocolate zucchini brownies are melt in your mouth, yum!
How to make Zucchini Chocolate Brownies?
These chocolate chip zucchini brownies are easy to make!
We shred our zucchini in the food processor, combine our ingredients for the brownie batter. Mix the 2 together and then oven bake to perfection!
The chocolate chips go straight into the batter and the whole thing becomes a dreamy, chocolate with a healthy twist delight.
These brownies make your house smell like a home as the delicious aroma wafts through the air!
Zucchini Brownies ingredients
The ingredients for this recipe are simple and easy to get at the local store. If you want to make the frosting too, those ingredients are in this photo.
As you can see we need are:
- almond meal
- brown sugar
- cocoa powder
- chocolate chips
- vanilla essence
Chocolate Chip Zucchini Brownies step by step instructions
This recipe can be broken down into 16 easy steps. They are shown in the photos below.
- shred (or grate) the zucchini (photo 1)
- add almond meal to mixing bowl (photo 2)
- as well as brown sugar (photo 3)
- and cocoa powder (photo 4)
- stir thoroughly to combine, breaking up any lumps as you go (photo 5)
- use a small jug to whisk eggs ( photo 6)
- add the zucchini as is to the dry ingredients (photo 7)
- add whisked eggs to zucchini batter (photo 8)
- add the vanilla essence (photo 9)
- and the melted butter (photo 10)
- followed by the chocolate chips (photo 11)
- transfer into a lined slice tin (photo 12)
My slice tin measures 20cm x 20cm (7.8 inches) and is the PERFECT size for this recipe.
There is no self-raising flour in the brownies, so there is no risk of overflow from the tin.
- bake the zucchini brownies for approx 50 mins (photo 17)
- allow to cool on a baking rack (photo 18)
- use a knife to cut the brownies into squares (photo 19)
- choose to frost your brownies or serve as is (photo 20)
- Chocolate Covered Pears (with crunchy granola)
- Redskin Fudge (perfect for Valentines Day)
- Caramel Fudge
- No Bake Chocolate Cake
- Dark Chocolate Rocky Road
- Chocolate Granola Bark
- Dark Chocolate Bark
- Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- Triple Caramel Chocolate Brownies
These brownies are moist and melt in your mouth, heat them or eat them as they are!
Healthy Zucchini Brownies recipe quick info:
About the recipe:
- we use dark chocolate chips
- It is very quick to shred the zucchini in the food processor
- cut the brownies into littel square pieces
- almond meal or almond flour it doesn't matter for this recipe
FAQs about making Chocolate Chips Zucchini Brownies
- you can use milk chocolate chips if you like
- line your slice tray with baking paper so it is easy to pull out
- this is a family friendly recipe
- This is an EASY recipe
Chocolate Zucchini Brownies Pro tips:
These additional tips are so that you can master this recipe from the 1st time you make it:
- stir, stir, stir for the dry ingredients to break up any lumps
- use either a fork or a mini whisk to whisk the eggs
- use a food processor (shred blad, regular) to quickly prepare your zucchini
- spray oil in the slice tray to help still the baking paper
- the edge of the brownies will be firm and the centre will have a slight wobble when ready
- use a skewer, insert into the centre of the mix, if it comes out clean it is ready
- if the batter is still wet cook for a little longer
It is MUCH easier to cut brownies when they have cooled. I know you will want to dig in, but for straight edges let them cool and THEN cut.
To frost or not to frost, that is the question! Luckily I have a super easy 1 minute frosting you can use for this recipe.
So if you are looking to frost your brownies, this is your quick go to, Easy Chocolate Icing.
Chocolate Zucchini Brownies
- Slice tray
- Food processor
- Stirring spoon
Chocolate Zucchini Brownies
- 3 zucchini Note 1
- 1 cup almond meal Note 2
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 250 grams chocolate chips Note 3
- 250 grams butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence Note 4
Chocolate Zucchini Brownies
- Preheat your oven to 180°C / 350-375°F / Gas Mark 4-5
- Line a 20 cm x 20 cm square baking tray with grease proof paper Note 5 and 6
- Use a food processor to shred (or grate) your zucchini then set aside
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine almond meal, brown sugar, cocoa powder and use a spoon to combine Note 7
- Whisk eggs in a small jug
- Add shredded zucchini to dry ingredients
- Pour in whisked eggs
- Add vanilla essence
- Use a heatproof jug and melt the butter in a microwave, add to zucchini batter
- Add chocolate chips and stir to combine
- Transfer zucchini brownie batter to lined slice tray
- Bake for 50 mins Note 8
- Allow to cool, then use a knife to cut into squares.
- Frost brownies with easy chocolate frosting
- Note 1 Use either 4 small or 3 medium sized zucchini. Add them to the recipe once shredded and don't squeeze any excess water from them during that process.
- Note 2 You can use either almond meal or almond flour, both will work perfectly!
- Note 3 I use dark chocolate chips, you can use dark or light, whichever is your preference.
- Note 4 Use either vanilla essence or vanilla extract. The (mush) cheaper one if fine!
- Note 5 My slice tray is square and 20cm x 20 cm which is approx 7.8 inches.
- Note 6 Spray a little cooking oil into your slice tray, it ill help the baking paper stick.
- Note 7 Really get into this with a spoon and break up the lumps of any dry ingredient. (Elbow grease)
- Note 8 Test the brownies with a skewer after 50 mins. If the skewer comes out clean, they are ready. Otherwise continue cooking until it does.
Zucchini's are such a great vegetable to cook with!
You can use them in savory recipes, sweet recipes like this one or as a pasta replacement when you want a day off the carbs!
I love cooking with them as there is no limit to their versatility and you can spice them up or down, however you please.
Please give me a shout if you have questions or make the recipe and want to give feedback.
I wish you well, I've got you covered and your zucchini back (haha), get to it my friend (they are bloody good!)