No Bake Chocolate Cake is a quick biscuit cake recipe that is moist and chocolaty! This no bake chocolate biscuit cake only needs refrigeration!
Homemade Chocolate recipes are a fun way of producing sweet treats that allow creativity and originality. My favourite is the Chocolate Covered Strawberries and the Chocolate Ripple Wreath for festive occasions! Our Dark Chocolate Bark and Dark Chocolate Rocky Road recipes are right up there too! For the easiest recipe try our Slow Cooker Fudge. If you want a citrus treat, try either our Lemon Polenta Cake or Orange Polenta Cake.
This cake works as a no bake birthday cake, fudge cake, refrigerated flourless cake and biscuit cake all at the same time! The texture is similar to our Chocolate Zucchini Brownies.
How long will biscuit cake keep
You can keep your biscuit cake in the fridge for 3-4 days. I don't recommend any longer than that as we use fresh cream for the topping and the cake will dry out once cut making it less fresh.
You can make this cake in advance so you are organised and have less to do on the day you need it.
Once the cake is formed, it is fine to leave in the fridge. It is best left 3 hrs after decorating before serving. This allows the sherry and the cream to soak into the biscuits, making them soft, moist and delicious!
How do you make a no bake chocolate cake
Making a no bake chocolate cake is easy and I have step by step photos and instructions so that you can easily follow.
As you can see the ingredients we need are:
- chocolate biscuits
- vanilla essence
- icing sugar
- sprinkles (to decorate)
We can break our recipes into 15 easy steps. The photos below show you each step and all we need to do is take one step after the other.
- add cream, vanilla essence, icing sugar & cocoa powder to a bowl (shown in photos 1-4)
- use electric beaters to whip cream till semi-stiff peaks form (shown in photos 5)
- use a spatula to spread a layer of the cream on your platter (shown in photo 6)
- dip the biscuits into the sherry then spread with a layer of cream (shown in photo 7)
- stick the 1st biscuit then sandwich the other biscuits in a log shape (shown in photo 8)
- form a cake shape by rotating the biscuits & pushing them together (shown in photo 9)
- cover the side & top of the biscuits with chocolate cream (shown in photos 12-13)
- decorate your cake with mutli-coloured sprinkles (shown in photo 14)
- refrigerate your cake for a minimum of 3 hrs before serving (shown in photo 15)
No Bake Chocolate Fudge Cake
Of the 15 steps we take to make this recipe, there are 4 to pay particular attention to, these are below:
- start your cake with sticking the one biscuit upright on the cream layer (photo 1)
- sandwich the biscuits in one row and rotate some for an in between layer (photo 2)
- make a 2nd row, then rotato the biscuits to form the round cake shape (photo 3)
- refrigerate for a minimum of 3 hrs before serving (photo 4)
Decorate with your favourite sprinkles, which you can vary to suit the occasion. Multi coloured for birthdays, red and green for Christmas, chocolate sprinkles for a no bake chocolate fudge cake!
Once you try this Chocolate Biscuit Cake, you might not ever bake a cake again. It is perfect on hot days when you don't want to turn the oven on!
This cake is literally going to take you to chocolate heaven! It is rich, dense, chocolaty and is the best lazy cake recipe ever!!
- Chocolate Covered Pears (with crunchy granola)
- Dark Chocolate Rocky Road
- Chocolate Granola Bark
- Dark Chocolate Bark
- Chocolate Covered Strawberries
- Triple Caramel Chocolate Brownies
- Chocolate Ripple Wreath Cake (the perfect festive chocolate cake!)
The texture of the cake is fudgy, chocolaty, thick and moist!
Frequently asked questions
- this cake is a no bake cake
- we use chocolate biscuits sandwiched together with sherry and cream
- the biscuits get dunked into the sherry just briefly
- this is a flourless chocolate cake recipe
- use plain large chocolate biscuits
- you will need a platter or a large plate for serving
- the sherry makes a sweet taste, you can leave it out, but it is not overly strong
- this is a family friendly recipe
- This is an EASY recipe
No Bake Chocolate Cake Pro tips
These additional tips are so that you can master this recipe from the 1st time you make it:
- ensure a layer of chocolate cream goes onto the plate as this will help the biscuits stick
- dip the biscuits in sherry quickly and remove, don't soak
- be gentle & use a light touch with spreading the cream as the biscuits will be soft and smudge if you are heavy handed
- have the photos nearby so when you are making the 2 rows and round sides you can review and apply arrangement
PIN and save this recipe for later!
No Bake Chocolate Cake (Quick Biscuit Cake Recipe)
- Electric beaters
- Serving platter
- 500 grams chocolate biscuits Note 1
- 600 ml cream
- 1 ½ cups sherry Note 2
- ½ tablespoon icing sugar Note 3
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence Note 4
- multi coloured sprinkles to decorate
- Set your platter onto a clean working surface Note 5
- Add your cream, vanilla essence, icing sugar, cocoa powder to a medium size mixing bowl.
- Use electric beaters to whip cream until stick peaks form Note 6
- Use a spatula to spread a layer of the chocolate cream on the base of your platter. Note 7
- Pour sherry into a small bowl and set next to platter and whipped cream
- Working one by one dip each biscuit into the sherry then use a flat spatula to spread a layer of cream onto the biscuit. Press the biscuit onto the platter and repeat. Sandwich the biscuits together as you go.
- Start by making one row of sandwiched together biscuits, then another, then rotate the biscuits sideways to form a circle shape (exactly like a round cake would look). Repeat until cake is shaped.
- Use a spatula to spread chocolate cream all over the sides and top of your biscuits.
- Decorate with sprinkles and place in the refrigerator to set.
- Allow for a minimum of 3 hours before serving.
- Note 1 You can use your favourite chocolate biscuit. Choose one that is plain, has no sugar on it and is larger as opposed to smaller (don't use mini cookie sized biscuits)
- Note 2 The sherry is a Sweet Fortified Wine that brings a unique sweet taste to the cake. It is not overly strong. If you choose not to use it, allow an extra hour for the cream to moisten the biscuits.
- Note 3 The icing sugar and vanilla essence are to make the cream have a bit of sweetness to it. No need to use vanilla extract (which is more expensive), I always use vanilla essence and am totally happy with it.
- Note 4 An Australian tablespoon is 20ml, ½ tablespoon is 10ml.
- Note 5 Choice a plate bigger than you think you need to make slicing the cake easier.
- Note 6 You should be able to remove your beaters and have the cream be firm but not solid, if in doubt, under rather than over whip.
- Note 7 This will help you stick the biscuits to the plate
The 1st time you make this cake you will notice the difference in workload between a traditional oven baked cake and this one. There is much less cleaning up involved and if you need to make a cake for work on a week night, this is it!
It is rich, sweet and delicious, plus you till find it so easy to get the ingredients at your local store.
Have a little fun with it, bring as much colour to the plate as you like and decorate it with love straight from your heart.
Remember it is the best lazy cake recipe EVER, you will no even break a sweat!
As always give me a shout if you have any questions and I would love to know what you think in the comments below.
You are going to be all over this recipe and your chocolate biscuit cake is going to knock people's socks off!