Gluten Free Zucchini Slice which is healthy, easy to make and tastes delicious. This flourless zucchini slice is a simple recipe made with raw vegetables, bacon and eggs!
Our Zucchini Slice, Zucchini and Bacon Slice, Zucchini Slice muffins and Zucchini Frittata honor this fabulous healthy vegetable!
Healthy Gluten Free Zucchini Slice with 6 easy ingredients!
Everyone will have tried a zucchini slice in their day. Whether is is your mother's favourite that comes to mind or one with a modern low carb, keto or paleo twist, there is something about a zucchini slice that makes it loved by all.
This flourless gluten free zucchini slice recipe uses only 6 ingredients. It is the kind of recipe you can whip up in a flash and pop in the oven whilst the house is full of hustle and bustle.
The recipe has no flour and no pastry base, you could call it a flourless zucchini quiche or frittata if you wish!
Bacon, corn, zucchini, eggs, cream and cheese are all that it takes to make this quick and easy gluten free vegetable slice!
A good old fashion zucchini slice is versatile, great for kids, work, dinner or a gathering amongst friends. I think that is one of the reasons it is so popular.
How do you make Gluten Free Zucchini Slice?
It is very easy to make a gluten free zucchini slice.
We begin by preparing our zucchini (which is called a courgette in the UK) and shredding or grating it. These days with so many grocery stores catering to our busy lifestyles, you are able to purchase pre shredded zucchini quite commonly. So that is alway an option to consider if the thought of washing your food processor has you running for the hills!
Use can also use a box grater or hand held grater. The fact is we need 4 cups of grated zucchini and that will come from approximately 5 small zucchinis.
I go into more detail about this in the recipe, but whilst we are on the topic, I recommend more smaller zucchinis as opposed to fewer larger ones as they have the potential to be a very wet ingredient and no one wants mushy slice!
The Simple Steps to Make Zucchini Slice are:
- Preheat your oven (it will take a lot less time to cook if you do this)
- Spray a baking dish with cooking oil
- Top and tail your zucchinis
- Grate your zucchinis
- Crack your eggs
- Whisk your eggs and cream together
- Layer zucchini, corn, bacon and cheese into baking dish
- Pour in egg mix
- Bake in oven
I like to keep some of my quick and easy dinners basic and this is a classic easy peasy zucchini slice.
What ingredients are in a Zucchini Slice?
There are so many options to make zucchini slice particular to your taste preferences, but most recipes have some common ingredients.
More often than not, you will find recipes with eggs, milk or cream, vegetables, cheese and sometimes flour. Whilst you can make a gluten free zucchini slice by using gluten free flour, this recipe is a flourless zucchini slice.
If you have a look you can see the ingredients that we will be using to make our zucchini slice and you will probably be amazed that such a popular recipe can have such simple household ingredients!
The ingredients for our Gluten Free Zucchini Slice are:
- Bacon (diced)
- Eggs (free range)
- Mozarella cheese
- Zucchini (shredded)
You can add any vegetables you like if you love this recipe and want to make it often with some versatility.
What can I add to my Zucchini slice?
- Shallots (green onions)
- Or leave the bacon out for a vegetarian zucchini slice!
You might even want to make a gourmet zucchini slice and try a fancy cheese like feta, ricotta or goats cheese (they do sound fancy, don't they! Oh la la!)
How do I make my Zucchini Slice Gluten Free?
Whether not not you use an oven or thermomix to make your zucchini slice, the key to removing the gluten is to ensure all of our ingredients are gluten free.
Luckily, I can assure you that our combination of ingredients is suitable for those with celiac disease or those who wish to eat more gluten free foods.
If you want to get into the habit of eating more gluten free foods, you can start with this recipe and expand to cook your own gluten free vegetable slice on a regular basis.
How do I make the Best Zucchini Slice Recipe Ever?
There are bakery products that I am sure you have come across that are so bad that they are good. (Stick with me friends...)
n particular in Australia we have a product sold at the grocery store which is a bacon and cheese bread roll and they are extremely popular!
The bacon on top is hard and chewy. The bread is doughy and soft and has a mound of cheese on it. They are seriously not an every day food! So we take inspiration from them and we use that inspiration to make a healthy zucchini slice recipe.
Making the best zucchini slice ever involves a trick
I know some folks would think that in this recipe I am going to tell you to mix the zucchini, corn and bacon in a bowl and then pile it all into our baking dish. But you need to hold that thought my friend, as I am not!
There are 2 reasons for that and the 1st is because sometimes, most of the time, ok all of the time, I am not that into cleaning up. So I am not going to tell you to mix stuff together in a bowl, as if you are like me, I think you probably get a bit over it too at times. No sir, no mixing bowl my friends, we don't use one (reason 1).
Reason 2 takes us back to that bacon doughy bread roll I was on about. The reason why that works is because the bacon is on top of all of the other ingredients in there and hence cooks up nicely in the oven.
So, my friends to make the best ever zucchini slice with chewy bacon, we don't use a mixing bowl and we put our bacon on top so that you will stand at the bench like I did and eat the little crispy bacon bits that fall off as you slice and dice.
Bacon Zucchini Slice recipe is healthy, nutritious and delicious!
Adding the bacon to the top of the zucchini slice will ensure it cooks well and you have chewy bacon bits to chow down on!
As always, please check the nutritional information in my recipe card to gain an insight into the nitty gritty details of each of my recipes.
You may want to have 2 pieces of the slice for a meal depending on your portion size preference.
FAQs to cook your Bacon and Corn Zucchini Slice
- Use smaller zucchinis to ensure less water in the slice
- Don't cook the bacon, corn or zucchini before adding it to the slice
- The slice will take 45 mins to cook
- Mozarella or light grated cheese is perfect
- You can freeze and reheat this recipe
- The slice needs to cool down for a couple of minutes before being cut
Bacon Corn Zucchini Slice quick info:
About the recipe:
- Use salt and pepper to season before eating but not in the recipe
- If you have a lot of liquid in your zucchini use paper towel to squeeze some out
- The zucchini slice is perfect hot or cold
- This is a great way to get extra veggies into your or your kids diet
Your quick questions answered:
- Gluten Free Zucchini Slice has only 6 ingredients
- Check the baking dish dimensions in the recipe to ensure a thick slice
- The slice can be cut in small squares or rectangles
- This recipe has no flour
- This is an EASY recipe
Troubleshooting Zucchini Slice tips:
If you are new to cooking zucchini slice keep in mind:
- make sure there is no wet egg wobble in the centre of the dish (when cooked)
- leave the slice to cool before cutting it
If you love everything Zucchini, then check out my Top 10 Easy Zucchini recipes.
If you make this recipe and want to upload a photo (I would love to see) you can do that via the pin on my recipes board >> Sweet Caramel Sunday Recipes board >> Pinterest
Gluten Free Zucchini Slice
Gluten Free Zucchini Slice
- 4 cups shredded zucchini Note 2
- 400 grams corn kernels drain and rinsed
- 300 grams diced bacon
- ¾ cup mozzarella cheese
- ¾ cup cream
- 8 eggs Note 1
Gluten Free Zucchini Slice
- Preheat your oven to 180°C / 350-375°F / Gas Mark 4-5
- Spray a baking tray with cooking oil Note 3
- Cut the top and tail off the zucchini and use a food processor (shredder blade) to shred your zucchini Note 4
- Cover the base of the oiled baking tray with the grated zucchini (spread it out a bit)
- Sprinkle the corn over the zucchini layer
- Top the corn with the bacon pieces
- Sprinkle your mozzarella cheese over the bacon pieces
- Use a fork or hand held stick blender to whisk your eggs, add your cream to these and ensure consistency is smooth
- Pour egg mix over baking tray starting at one corner and moving around so that the liquid spreads out
- Place baking tray in the oven for 45 mins
- Leave to cool slightly before cutting Note 5
- Note 1 I always use free range eggs and recommend you do too. They are fresher, tastier and better for the chickens. For the little extra cost, I think you get much better bang for your buck with free range
- Note 2 For this recipe, I recommend using smaller zucchinis to avoid excess moisture in your slice. I used 5 small ones which made 4 cups grated zucchini. You are better off doing this than using 2 large ones
- Note 3 The size of your baking dish WILL make a difference for this recipe. I used a 31.5 x 26 x 5.5 cm (capacity 2.2L) porcelain roaster. The actual type of dish won't matter ie you could use a skillet, a baking tray, a slice tray. BUT, the recipe is designed so that you get a thickish piece of slice. If you use a bigger tray than the one I did, you will get a thinner slice. You can use a smaller one ( ie my skillet is 26cm, but when I use that I only do 6 eggs). I would recommend you use something similar to the measurements in either of these 2 dishes. Obviously don't run out and buy anything just for one recipe or because you worry it needs to be that size. There is flexibility in the recipe for different uses of dishes, but what would not be a good idea is for you to use a 35 cm casserole dish for example. It will be too large and your slice will be as thin as an omelette. If using a much smaller baking tray or slice tray, you can use 6 eggs and if you do this, I recommend using ½ cup cheese and ½ cup cream not the ¾ that we use when we have the 8 eggs.
- Note 4 Using the food processor to shred your zucchini is fast and your hands stay clean, but it adds to the washing up. You can use a hand held grater to avoid this and these days you can also buy pre shredded zucchini at most local grocers.
- Note 5 Your slice edges will be much straighter if you let the slice cool before cutting it. Use a sharp knife and rinse with hot water in between cuts.
Hola for a dollar!
This is my way of saying help out a friend in need. My way to do that for you my friend is to give you another suggestion that you can add to your cookbook! (Fist bump)
You might like this Pumpkin Frittata with Ricotta Cheese recipe. It is quite similar to this zucchini slice and you can see how I have used a different baking dish to give you the idea of a round skillet cooked egg dish versus a square baking dish version.
This looks so good...but I can't eat corn what do you suggest for a substitute.
Thanks Lisa. I would either omit it altogether or use 1/2 cup shredded carrot. Best wishes
I have made this yummy slice a few times now and even my husband loves it for snacking on, and he doesn’t even like zucchini, but it’s great change from protein bars or balls while on a healthy eating and exercise program
Thanks Ann! I really appreciate you taking the time to leave feedback and I am so happy that you and your husband enjoy the recipe, thank-you!