Zucchini Frittata is a cheesy delicious oven baked recipe. Using a different technique to our Gluten Free Zucchini Slice to slice not shred our zucchini creates a vegetarian zucchini frittata with delicious smoothness! Zucchini lovers, I've got you!
Zucchini Parmesan Muffins, Zucchini Parmesan Bread, Zucchini Slice Muffins, or Zucchini Mini Muffins which one of these recipes are going to become your favorite?
Or will our traditional Zucchini Slice tempt you? Perhaps the Zucchini and Ham Muffins catch your eye?
What is a Zucchini Frittata?
The stand out reason why this recipe is a frittata and not a quiche is that it has no crust. Frittatas simply get made with no pastry or crust underneath.
There is a lot of similar recipes that people get confused by. Quiches and frittatas are are almost identical, omelettes are aligned closely as well.
Another option when making frittata is to have an ingredient with texture on top for a bit of variety. You might remember we did that in our Tater Tot Breakfast Frittata. That recipe is here if you want to check it out!
Easy Zucchini Frittata, using 8 simple ingredients!
This Best Ever Zucchini Frittata is going to be your next all time favourite recipe. Frittatas are so easy to make and taste delicious. Oven baking them is a great way to cook them and the house will smell amazing as the eggs are bubbling away.
This vegetarian zucchini frittata recipe uses only 8 ingredients. You might already have most of them in your fridge and pantry already. It is a no fuss recipe to make when you don't have a lot of time and want to get dinner in the oven in a hurry.
Zucchini, fresh eggs, cream, parmesan and regular cheese, dried onion, powder, salt and pepper are all you need to make this delicious dish!
Our easy zucchini frittata recipe is similar to our Gluten Free Zucchini Slice with the main difference being that the zucchini is sliced for our frittata and not shredded.
You can serve this frittata for dinner, lunch and it even works as a great breakfast or lunch recipe! It is extremely versatile and that is just 1 of the many reasons to love it!
What can I add to my Zucchini Frittata?
- other veggies (especially if you are keen on the idea of a vegetarian zucchini slice!)
What ingredients are in Zucchini Frittata?
Zucchini frittata uses simple ingredients. Think fresh and basic. The photo below shows you exactly what ingredients you need to make this recipe.
The ingredients we need for our Zucchini Frittata are:
- zucchini (shredded)
- eggs (free range)
- parmesan cheese
- cheese (mozzarella is a good option)
- dried onion
- garlic Powder
- salt and pepper
It will blow your mind how easy zucchini frittata can be and also how good it tastes at the same time!
How do you make Zucchini Frittata
Making a zucchini frittata is easy!
The trick is using thin slices of zucchini.
I recommend using either your food processor or mandolin instead of a knife, as not only is it faster, is is also the easiest way of slicing zucchini thinly.
Most food processors have a 'slice' blade on them, often it is as simple as turning the blade from one side to the other to find it.
How to make easy Zucchini Frittata
Keeping the ingredients and method for this recipe as simple steps will allow us to make an incredibly easy zucchini frittata.
The thing about it being easy, doesn't mean it has to be boring though.
This recipe has 2 types of cheese and lots of flavour from the dried onion and garlic powder. The seasoning from the salt and pepper adds a nice little touch as well.
Step by step method to make Zucchini Frittata
The method to prepare our zucchini and egg mix for this recipe are very straightforward.
You might remember that when we did our Zucchini Parmesan Muffins we ensured we packed maximum flavour into the zucchini.
The reason why that is so important is because zucchini (also known as courgette) often has a reputation for being bland or watery.
We need to get some flavour into our zucchini as we are preparing it and it will fly off the table so quickly you will question whether you actually served it in the 1st place!
For our Zucchini Parmesan Muffins, we sliced and seasoned the zucchini in the same way we need to for this recipe.
In fact, we follow the exact same process to start with. Those steps are shown in the photo below:
The easy method to make zucchini frittata is:
- Preheat your oven (it will take a lot less time to cook if you do this)
- Line a slice tray with baking paper
- Slice your zucchini
- Season zucchini with dried onion, garlic power, salt, pepper and parmesan
- Crack your eggs
- Use a fork to lightly whisk
- Stir to combine your eggs and cream
- Add cheese to the mix
- Continue to stir to combine
- Transfer your zucchini parmesan mix into the slice tray
- Pour in egg mix
- Top with a little reserved seasoned zucchini parmesan
- Bake in oven
The perfect way to serve this frittata is with mustard yoghurt. Simply combine greek yoghurt and djion mustard for a sauce with zing!
Vegetarian Zucchini Frittata is all about the eggs!
Free range eggs are the best as they are fresh and so good to cook with.
We use 6 eggs, as we need the egg mix to allow our frittata to have a nice height to it for thick slices.
You can use a hand helder (immersion) beater to do these steps which will make for a very smooth egg mix. The steps are shown in the photos below.
To cook our zucchini frittata one option is to use a cast iron skillet. That is a popular choice as most skillets are round and you will end up with an easy frittata you can cut into wedges.
I like to use my slice tray for this recipe as I find I enjoy changing it up every now and again so whilst the recipe tastes the same, the shape and size of your portions can be different.
If you use a skillet, spray it with oil and if you use a slice tray, line it with baking paper. This will prevent the eggs from sticking.
FAQs to cook your Zucchini Frittata
- Choose small or medium zucchini as opposed to large ones (less water)
- When adding the seasoning to the zucchini stir well to mix it through
- The frittata will take between 40 - 45 mins to cook
- Parmesan is a key ingredient for flavouring the dish
- This frittata freezes and reheats very well
- Once it is cooked, leave it to cool for a couple of minutes to make slicing easier
Zucchini Frittata quick info:
About the recipe:
- Dried onion and garlic power save time and energy!
- If you find that your zucchini is very wet, shake or squeeze some out before seasoning
- Zucchini Frittata is best served hot!
- Throw it some extra veggies if you want it to be super healthy
Your quick questions answered:
- This recipe is vegetarian
- Use a smaller baking tray to ensure thick slice pieces
- If using a skillet you will get wedge type slices
- There is no flour or gluten in this recipe
- This is an EASY recipe
Easy Zucchini Frittata expert tips:
If this is your 1st time making zucchini frittata, these are handy pointers:
- spray cooking oil into your baking tray or use baking paper so it is easy to remove
- the zucchini slices need to be super thin, a food processor will do this job for you!
The mustard yoghurt makes this dish, it is easy to do, simply combine greek yoghurt with djion mustard!
😍 More Easy Zucchini Recipes
- Gluten Free Zucchini Slice (is also flourless)
- Zucchini Parmesan Muffins
- Zucchini Slice Muffins
- Zucchini Grilled Cheese
Hunger still got you? You can SUBSCRIBE to receive the latest recipes, follow me on Pinterest, Instagram or Facebook.
- Food processor
- 2 zucchini Note 1
- 6 eggs
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tssp dried onion Note 2
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup cream
- ⅓ cup cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ⅓ cup greek yoghurt
- 2 teaspoon djion mustard
- ½ teaspoon cracked pepper
Zucchini Frittata Method
- Preheat oven to 200°c/400°F, gas 6
- Cut of the top and bottom of your zucchini then use food processor to slice thinly Note 1
- Season the sliced zucchini with dried onion, salt, pepper, garlic powder and parmesan cheese Note 2
- Crack eggs into mixing jug, lightly whisk them, pour in your cream, stir together, add cheese and stir to mix together well
- Line your slice tray with baking paper
- Transfer the zucchini mix into your baking tray and reserve a little of it for the top of the frittata. Note 5
- Pour egg mix into the tray to cover the seasoned zucchini, move tray back and forth slightly with both hands to even out egg mix.
- Top egg mix with reserved zucchini and parmesan
- Oven bake for 40 mins. Ensure no wobble in centre. If frittata is wobbly, cook for another 5-10 mins until fully set.
- Allow to cool slightly before slicing
- Serve in slices with mustard yoghurt.
- Combine yoghurt and mustard in a small bowl and stir to combine
- Top with a little cracked pepper
- Note 1 go for small to medium zucchini as these have less water content than large. Plus large ones won't fit in the shoot of the food processor.
- Note 2 these will be in the herbs and spices aisle at the supermarket, in packets. I love using these as they are SO easy to cook with.
- Note 3 it doesn't really matter which order you season the zucchini, what is more important is that the seasoning and parmesan is really mixed well into the zucchini so it is thoroughly seasoned.
- Note 4 just the tip and base of it. Use either a food processor or mandolin to make really thin slices
- Note 5 it is easier to cut the slice when it is cooler as it is firmer. Otherwise it tends to slide everywhere if still hot. Allow to cool slightly and serve hot.
- Note 6 When you do this, layer the zucchini the way I have done in the photos.
Published 13th September 2019, updated 9th June 2020
Fantastic! As soon as my husband and I tried this frittata for breakfast this morning I made a second one! The mustard yogurt is a game changer as well! How come I never thought of this before?! Love how you seasoned the zucchini ahead of time too. Easy to make and easy clean up. It definitely would make a wonderful lunch or dinner too.
Ohhhh thanks Jeanine!! I really enjoyed reading your feedback. Eggs are so filling and yup the zucchini has flavour! Thank you.
What size baking dish is used for this recipe?
Hi Vickie! Terribly sorry for the delay in responding to your message, the slice tray I use is (28 cm x 17.5 cm x 5 cm) or(11 in x 7 in x 1.8 in). I hope you love the recipe and thanks for your patience! Best wishes.