Zucchini Spice Cake that will delight with every bite! This oven baked easy Zucchini Cake has texture, taste and cinnamon spice.
Everyone loves cake, right?
So is there anything better than taking your favorite cake and then serving it with a sweet and simple vanilla glaze?
Nope, I know you don't think so and I don't either!
This recipe works as it is dense, moist, healthy and a nice change from your regular chocolate or vanilla cake!
The ingredients you need are shown in the photo below, they are all simple and can be found at the local shop. Scroll to the printable recipe card for exact measurements and baking steps.
As you can see, the recipe calls for:
- zucchini (important, we measure this after we grate it)
- whole meal self raising flour
- brown sugar
- olive oil
- vanilla essence
- baking powder
The smell when this cake is baking is simply irresistible. It is like donuts are baking in the oven!
I will let you in on one of my baking secrets...I use vanilla essence (so much cheaper than vanilla extract!)
As you can see in the photos below, the whole recipe involves quick, easy steps (but bear in mind, the cake does have a long cook time!).
- Sift and combine dry ingredients (Photo 1)
- Add olive oil and vanilla essence (Photo 2)
- Use a spoon to stir till combined (Photo 3)
- Add whisked eggs and continue to stir (Photo 4)
I like to mix the ingredients of the cake together (stirring) along the way to ensure that the wet batter is consistent.
- Shred zucchini, blot to squeeze water and measure (Photo 5)
- Add 2 cups of shredded zucchini to the cake batter (Photo 6)
- Next add walnuts (Photo 7)
- Stir again till thoroughly combined (Photo 8)
I have tested this cake more than many of my recipes to get it absolutely perfect for you.
It is essential to follow the ingredient amounts, pan size, steps and cook time exactly as they are.
When you do, you will surely be delighted by your Zucchini Spice Cake!
Below are the before cooking and after cooking photos, so you can see what your cake will look like along the way.
It will suprise some readers (and me throughout testing) that the cake takes 1 ½ hours to cook (that is a long time!).
But committing to the process and recipe as set out, ensures a delicious, tender, moist cake that is worth every step along the way.
Your quick questions answered
- This is an easy recipe, but the long cook time is essential
- The cake is dense and moist but thoroughly cooked through
- Ensure the oven is preheated
- Line the cake tin with baking paper to start
This is what I have learnt that will help you master the recipe from the 1st time and every following time:
- Don't attempt to shorten the cook time by changing the recipe.
- I repeatedly tested this recipe till I nailed it and it is PERFECT
- That perfection however, takes 1 ½ hours in the oven, there are no shortcuts
- Keep the walnuts chunky
- Ensure you measure the grated zucchini and only add 2 cups
- You can use vanilla extract (but vanilla essence is cheaper)
- After 30 mins, loosely cover the cake with foil, then return to the oven
If you love cooking with zucchini or getting your bake on, try the following recipes:
- Chocolate Zucchini Brownies
- Zucchini Parmesan Muffins (these are savory)
- Mini Zucchini Muffins (also savory)
- Cinnamon Oatmeal Muffins
- Blueberry Banana Oatmeal Muffins
- Chocolate Chip Banana Oatmeal Muffins
- Oatmeal Strawberry Muffins
- Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Muffins
- Blackberry Oatmeal Muffins
Or read through all Zucchini Recipes on the blog.
The icing you see above is a simple vanilla glaze using 3 ingredients. You could also ice with my Easy Chocolate Icing.
To make the glaze, you will need these ingredients:
Simply combine the ingredients and stir till there are no lumps and texture is smooth.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why do people put Zucchini in cake?
People generally put zucchini in cake for 2 reasons.
The 1st reason is that it is a healthy alternative to a high sugar based bake.
The 2nd reason is that it adds a lovely depth of texture and moisture to cakes.
Zucchini is often disguised by people in baked goods, such as our Chocolate Zucchini Brownies, where it is near impossible to taste or tell that zucchini is in there!
Should you peel the zucchini?
No. For this recipe and a lot of recipes where zucchini is a key ingredient, there is no need to peel the zucchini.
We simply shred (or grate) the zucchini and (when measured), that zucchini with skin goes into the batter of the cake.
It is healthy and tastes delicious in the soft texture of the zucchini and walnut cake combo.
Zucchini Spice Cake
Zucchini Spice Cake
- 2 cups whole meal self-raising flour Note 1
- 1 cups olive oil
- 1 cup brown sugar firmly packed
- 2 zucchini Note 2
- 3 eggs whisked
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract Note 3
- 1 cup walnuts roughly chopped
Easy Vanilla Glaze
- 1 cup icing sugar sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 tablespoon almond milk
Zucchini Spice Cake
- Preheat oven to 180°C fan forced / 350-375°F / Gas Mark 4-5
- Sift flour, baking powder and cinnamon into mixing bowl
- Add brown sugar and stir to combine
- Pour in olive oil and vanilla essence, stir to combine
- Add in whisked eggs
- Use a food processor to shred zucchini and paper towel to remove moisture from zucchini. Measure 2 cups and add to cake batter, stir to combine
- Add chopped walnuts and stir again
- Transfer cake batter to lined cake tin and place in the oven
- Cook on the middle shelf for 30 mins, use oven mits to remove and loosely cover with foil, then return cake to the oven for a further 60 mins
- Test with a skewer and when it comes out clean with no wet batter, turn oven off and use oven mits to remove cake and place on cake stand to cool
- Frost with Vanilla Glaze and top with finely diced walnuts
- Note 1 Sift the flour, but add the 'whole meal bits' back into the mixing bowl from the shifter
- Note 2 I use 2 zucchini and grate/shred them. But once shredded, you need to measure 2 cups of zucchini and only use that amount (to ensure the cake will cook thoroughly).
- Note 3 For no specific reason, I have always used imitation vanilla, which is cheaper than vanilla essence! If you want to save yourself a couple of dollars, you can do the same.