Zucchini and Bacon Slice that is garlicky, cheesy and delicious! Calling everyone who loves a vegetable slice to the table!!
I won’t make you choose between our Gluten Free Zucchini Slice, our Zucchini Slice Muffins and our Zucchini Frittata, because you will LOVE them ALL!! This is seriously delicious and easy cooking coming at you!
This bacon and zucchini slice is healthy and works for breakfast, brunch and lunch.
Vegetable slice recipes are THE BEST. Easy to make, satisfying to eat, fill you up and gives you a non bread based lunch idea (there is no flour in the recipe either!)
What is a Zucchini and Bacon slice?
A Zucchini and Bacon Slice is an egg based recipe that is oven baked in a slice tray.
The ingredients we use for this recipe are simple. Think regular household staples.
It wouldn’t suprise me if you have most if not all, of these ingredients at home already as they are popular and versatile.
We need a good amount of eggs, a little bacon, some zucchini and cheese.
The slice has a thick and dense texture as the eggs cook and rises creating an egg and bacon slice using no pastry!
Zucchini and Bacon slice uses simple ingredients
I find it super helpful to ‘see’ what I need for a recipe before I make it.
It saves time whilst cooking to not have to pull open the spice cupboard, raise onto your tippy toes and look for what you need.
To help you achieve that also, I have taken a photo to show you everything you need.
Ingredients you will need are listed and shown below:
- garlic powder
- dried onion
- salt and pepper
If you want to use milk instead of cream, you can, just use 1/2 as much
How do you make Zucchini and Bacon Slice?
Making Zucchini and Bacon Slice is super easy. There is a little bit of prep work involved and then it is into the oven to cook.
The 1st thing we need to so is slice our zucchini. We use a different technique in this recipe as we do in our Gluten Free Zucchini Slice. For that recipe we shredded (or grated our zucchini). In our Bacon and Zucchini slice, we finely slice our zucchini instead.
Your food processor will have a ‘slice’ blade on the opposite side of the ‘shred’ blade.
The other point of difference between that recipe and this one is that we used corn in that recipe but we do not in this recipe.
The recipe can be broken down into 9 easy steps. They are shown in the photo below so you can follow easily.
Here is how to make Zucchini and Bacon Slice:
- Crack your eggs into a jug (shown in photo 1)
- Use a fork to whisk eggs (shown in photo 2)
- Combine bacon, zucchini and cheese (shown in photo 3)
- Stir to combine (shown in photo 4)
- Pour your zucchini bacon cheese mix into lined slice tray (shown in photo 5)
- Push the mix around in the tray so it is spread out (shown in photo 6)
- Pour egg mix into on top of zucchini (shown in photo 7)
- Swish the pan around to allow the egg mix to spread evenly (shown in photo 8)
- Sprinkle reserved zucchini bacon mix on top of slice (shown in photo 9)
- Oven bake for 50 mins – 1 hour.
*Note that when doing step 5 you need to keep a little of the zucchini bacon cheese and set aside for step 9.
This is such a tasty and delicious vegetable slice recipe.It is SO EASY to make!!
Of all of the steps we need to take, there are 4 which are the essential steps for flavour and texture.
Zucchini and Bacon recipe with 4 essential steps
If you look at the photo above with our 9 steps, you will see 4 of them have been highlighted in red font.
These steps are the ones singled out in the photo below to show you that you need to focus on these ones:
Here you can see me combining the zucchini, bacon and cheese (stir these together well). Then when you have transferred this mix into your slice try, you need to use the back of a spoon to push the mix around so that it covers the surface of the tray. Next you can see me pouring the egg mix into the tray (move the tray back and forward a little bit to level the egg mix out). Then top the slice with some reserved zucchini bacon cheese mix.
Can I freeze Zucchini and Bacon Slice?
Yes, you can!
Once the slice has cooked, allow it to cool then cut it into pieces.
Wrap the pieces in cling wrap and place in the freezer. They will keep for a couple of months.
To reheat, remove from freezer, allow to defrost and heat before serving.
Zucchini and Bacon Slice quick info:
About the recipe:
- this recipe has no flour
- you can make a mustard yoghurt spread to serve the vegetable slice
- the garlic powder and dried onion add taste and texture
- serve with cracked pepper
FAQs about Zucchini and Bacon Slice
- The zucchini is sliced not shredded
- Use your food processor for slicing or a mandolin
- Purchase diced bacon, it makes this recipe TOO EASY
- Mozzarella, cheddar, tasty, light are all good types of grated cheese to use
Your quick questions answered:
- The recipe has a cheesy delicious taste
- You can serve it hot or cold
- My slice tray is (28 cm x 17.5 cm x 5 cm)
- This is an EASY recipe
A little bit of experience shows that these tips help make this recipe shine:
- choose small or medium zucchini (large ones have too much water)
- spray a little cooking oil into slice tray to help baking paper stick
- place baking paper onto spray oil and push flat to line pan
- allow slice to cool slightly before slicing (you can reheat it later)
Zucchini recipes (that will make you want to grow your own!)
Zucchini is a fabulous vegetable to cook with. It is healthy and tastes delicious.
For inspiration to use zucchini more often in your kitchen, have a look at these recipes:
- Zucchini and Ham Muffins (can make 6 big or 12 regular)
- The BEST EVER Zucchini Parmesan Bread
- Zucchini Frittata (vegetarian recipe)
- Super delicious and easy Zucchini Parmesan Muffins
- Perfect for lunch boxes Zucchini Slice Muffins
The mustard yoghurt is my favourite way to serve this slice as you can either spread or dollop a little on your piece of slice to further enhance the deliciousness!
Zucchini and Bacon Slice
- Slice tray
Zucchini and Bacon Slice
- 2 zucchini (courgette) Note 1
- 300 grams bacon diced, Note 4
- 1/3 cup cheese Note 10
- 6 eggs free range
- 1/2 cup cream Note 2
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 dried onion
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup low fat greek yoghurt
- 2 tsp dijon mustard Note 6
Zucchini and Bacon Slice
- Preheat oven to 200°c/400°F, gas 6
- Spray a little cooking oil into a slice tray, then line with baking paper Note 3
- Slice your zucchini into thin pieces Note 4
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine sliced zucchini, bacon and cheese. Stir to mix together well.
- Transfer zucchini bacon cheese mix into lined slice tray, use the back of a spoon to push it out so it covers the base of the tray.
- Crack eggs one by one into a mixing jug. Add garlic powder, dried onion, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Pour egg mix into slice tray and move tray up and down slightly to ensure egg mix is evenly spread throughout tray.
- Bake for 50 mins. Note 7
- Allow to cool slightly then cut into slices. Note 8
- Serve with mustard yoghurt.
- Combine greek yoghurt and mustard in a small bowl and stir till thoroughly combined. Note 8
- Note 1 Use either 3 small or 2 medium sized zucchini
- Note 2 You can use milk instead - go for 1/2 the serving of cream, so it will be 1/6 cup. (4 x 15ml tablespoons)
- Note 3 My slice tray measures (28 x 17.5 x 5 cm)
- Note 4 Use either the 'slice' blade on your food processor or a mandolin to cut into thin pieces
- Note 5 Buy diced bacon, (not rashers) it will make the recipe SO easy!!
- Note 6 You can use Hot English Mustard or American mustard instead. Both will taste very similar but have a bit more tang to them!
- Note 7 There should be no wobble in the center. Test with a skewer to ensure it is cooked through. If not, cook for a further 10 mins until it is.
- Note 8 It is easiest to cut the slice (and all egg slices for that matter) when it is cool as you get cleaner edges.
- Note 9 Keep stirring and mixing together until the colours have become one (ie not seperate and white anymore, but a light yellow paste)
- Note 10 the cheese I used is grated tasty, light or mozzarella, you can use any type of shredded cheese
I find these recipes SO much easier to cut if they have cooled down a bit. If you cut them too soon the slice tends to pull apart in chunks rather that being cut when cool which will produce straight edges.
Zucchini and eggs is a winning combination! Cheese, garlic, bacon and zucchini gives us the bomb diggity of vegetable slices!
Don’t forget that I am in the kitchen with you. Maybe not physically but in spirit and advice. I think by now you know me well enough to know, I could talk about food and cooking forEVER!!
So let me know if something needs to be clarified so your Zucchini Bacon Slice can be THE BEST EVER!!