Havarti Grilled Cheese is a quick and easy cheese toastie recipe. With gooey cheese and crispy sourdough its a winning combo. The added bonus being that this effortless combination will take you only 10 minutes to make. Grilled cheese havarti will become your quick fix go-to meal anytime the craving hits!
🤍 Recipe Highlights
I have summarised everything that you will come to know and love (LOVE ❤) about the recipe in the points below:
- Simple ingredients: each of the ingredients you need to make the recipe can be sought from your local grocery store. They are year round easy to get your hands on ingredients. The cheese will be in the fridge or deli section of the supermarket.
- Back to basics: there is nothing simpler or easier to make than a grilled cheese sandwich. This havarti grilled cheese allows us to get back to the very basic cooking skills that all home chefs of all abilities can harness.
- Taste and texture: there is the robust white sourdough that crisps to perfection, the dripping melted havarti cheese and the crumbs flaking off with every bite. This combination ticks a lot of the taste and texture boxes and them some 😁👍.
- Family favorite: everyone of all ages will love switching up their sandwiches and having something different. This grilled cheese with havarti is a tasty combination that offers a quick lunch any day of the week.
- Versatile: whilst traditionally toasted sandwiches are lunch recipes if you want to make this ultimate comfort food for dinner or brunch on a day when you need a little kick starter, I will not try and stop you 😉👍.
The photo below is to show you everything you need to make the havarti cheese sandwich recipe. Please refer to the printable recipe card for specific ingredient measurements as well as detailed instructions.
As you can see the recipe calls for:
- Butter: your favorite spreadable butter will work well for this recipe. A soft butter that stretches well with a butter knife.
- Havarti cheese: this is a sweet tasting cheese with a creamy flavor made from cow's milk. Havarti cheese slices are a great melting cheese as they make it easy to slice and fill the sandwiches.
- Bread: I like to use sourdough when making grilled cheese as I think it is robust and holds its own very well. You can do the same or use your favourite bread.
Tasty Tip: I like to provide you with a number of substitutions and variations giving you an array of options when making my recipes. If in doubt of any of the above ingredients, or wanting alternatives, read this section (further below) before jumping into the instructions on how to make the recipe which are coming next 😉👌.
Here are the step by step instructions to make the recipe. We start by buttering the outside of the bread. You will need a butter knife and cutting board for this step.
- Butter the bread (Photo 1)
- Stick the bread sides together (Photo 2)
- Add the cheese (Photo 3)
- Close the sandwiches (Photo 4)
👩🍳 How to Make Havarti Grilled Cheese
To make the grilled cheese havarti start by laying the bread slices out onto a chopping board.
Then use a butter knife to spread a layer of butter onto 1 side of each of the 4 slices of bread.
Once done stick the 2 buttered sides of bread together for each sandwich.
Next place 3-4 cut slices of havarti into the middle of the sandwich for both.
Then unstick the 2 slices of bread to close the sandwiches off.
- Place the sandwiches into the pan and cook (Photo 5)
Next get ready to cook the grilled cheese sandwiches by placing a large skillet onto the stove top, turning the heat to high and placing each sandwich into the base of the hot pan.
Allow the butter to melt, the bread to toast and crisp up turning a lovely golden brown and the cheese to melt. After 2-3 minutes flip each sandwich to the other side and let this side cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
Once done, use a flat turner to remove the grilled cheese from the pan and place on a chopping board before using a serrated knife to slice them in halves.
🍽 Serving Suggestions
I like to sprinkle a little salt on the sandwich and garnish them with a little bit of freshly chopped parsley like you see in the photo below. It is simple and it works 😁👌.
👍 How to Guide
How to Store
Store leftovers of the grilled cheese in the fridge on a plate with cling wrap for 1-2 days. The leftovers are best reheated before being consumed.
How to Freeze
I don't recommend freezing the Havarti grilled cheese sandwich after making it. You can however, freeze a loaf of sourdough bread when you buy it then remove it from the freezer and thaw it when the time comes that you want to make the recipe.
How to Reheat
Place leftovers into a sandwich press and reheat until the cheese remelts and is heated through.
😉 Substitutions and Variations
Here are my sub ins and outs that you might be thinking about as you read the post and I will tell you if I think they will work or why they won't:
- If you want to add to the grilled cheese filling you can add some tomato slices, ham, turkey or a layer of pesto.
- For a fruit pairing add some thinly sliced pear or apple pieces.
- Add a layer of pepper jelly on the inside of the grilled cheese before adding the havarti cheese.
- Or use another spread like horseradish or dijon mustard.
- If you have leftover cranberry sauce that will work with some peppery arugula if you want a leafy green in the mix.
- Add some smoked salmon and dill for an alternative additional flavor pairing.
- Consider adding leftover cooked crispy bacon and or caramelized onions to the sandwich.
- For a double cheese grilled cheese also add some smoked gouda cheese, sharp cheddar, swiss cheese or your favorite cheese to the sandwiches.
💡 Tasty Tips
Here are my top tips and tricks that I want to share with you so that you master the recipe from the get go:
- Try and avoid using slices of bread with a lot of holes in them as the cheese will fall out (oh no!! 😭).
- When buttering the bread, spread the butter all the way to the very edges of 1 slice of each piece of bread.
- The buttered sides go on the outside (not inside) of the grilled cheese.
- If using a non stick frying pan you won't need cooking oil as the butter till melt and ensure that the grilled cheese don't stick to the pan.
- If you have leftover turkey and ham and are wondering what to do with it, add them to the grilled cheese as an extra filling!
- If cheese is your thing and you are looking for more recipes to get creative with it try the Baked Brie With Pepper Jelly, the Brie Bread Bowl, Spinach Cob Loaf Dip or the Bacon And Cheese Cob Loaf.
- Or if you love the taste of havarti cheese and want to use it more often try it on the Grazing Platter or Olive Platter.
🤓 Frequently Asked Questions
Is Havarti a good cheese for grilled cheese?
Yes! Havarti is a great cheese to use for grilled cheese.
What are the top 3 cheeses for grilled cheese?
Swiss, provolone and havarti are 3 of the top most popular cheeses to use when making grilled cheese.
Can you eat Havarti cheese by itself?
Yes havarti cheese can be eaten on its own.
😍 More Easy Lunch Recipes
If you are looking for more ideas to switch it up and make your lunches never boring or 'same, same' then I have some more ideas to share with you. I hope you love these recipes:
- Mini Croissant Sandwiches
- Roast Beef Sliders
- Brie Croissant
- Air Fryer Cheese on Toast
- Chicken Sausage Rolls
- Mini Sausage Rolls
- Roast Beef Roll Ups
- Ham Cream Cheese Roll Ups
- Wagyu Burger
Havarti Grilled Cheese
- 4 slices sourdough bread Note 1
- 6 slices havarti cheese cut in halves, Note 2
- 1 tablespoon butter Note 3
- parsley stems discarded, leaves finely chopped
- Butter bread: lay the 4 slices of sourdough bread onto a chopping board in a flat layer. Then use a butter knife to butter 1 side of each bread slice. Next stack the buttered sides together for each 2 pieces of bread.
- Havarti cheese: place 3 cut slices of the havarti cheese on top of the non buttered side of bread for each sandwich.
- Close: unstick each of the buttered sides of bread for the sandwiches and place the top buttered side facing out.
- Cook: place a large frying pan onto the stove top, turn the heat to high and add the toasties. Cook them for 2-3 minutes on the 1st side, then use a flat turner to flip them to the other side. Cook the 2nd side for 2-3 minutes.
- To serve: once the grilled cheese are cooked, use the flat turner to transfer them to a chopping board. Then use a serrated knife to cut them in half. Sprinkle with chopped parsley, a little salt and plate.
- Note 1 - Sourdough bread: you can use your favorite type of bread for the recipe. My advice is to go for one that is robust, the slices don't have holes and it holds up well (doesn't flatten too much) when being toasted.
- Note 2 - Havarti cheese: this is a soft, salty cheese made from cow's milk. You will be able to get it either in the deli section or fridge section of the supermarket. It is pale yellow in color and has small holes in it.
- Note 3 - Butter: regular spreadable butter that you would use for toast is ideal. It is soft and spreads well.