Slow Mushroom Soup is the perfect winter mushroom soup recipe. It is a creamy, vegetarian, easy to make slow cooker recipe and it is flavour packed to delight!
Soup recipes like our Slow Cooker Pumpkin Soup are SO easy as you literally throw everything in there are let it cook. The Slow Cooker also makes a mean Spinach and Ricotta Lasagne or Spaghetti Bolognese to make cooking dinner at home SO CONVENIENT!!
Learn how to make Mushroom Soup in your Slow Cooker from scratch!
This soup recipe is perfect for dipping toasted bread into. The soup soaks into the bread making each mouthful a flavour packed delight.
How do you make Mushroom Soup in your Slow Cooker from scratch?
To make mushroom soup in your Slow Cooker we add all of our ingredients, then set and forget!
You can use fresh button mushrooms in the soup. If so, you are going to need to slice them 1st.
Slow Cooking soup gives you your time back, set and forget whilst your dinner cooks itself.
Once our soup is cooked, we blitz it slightly to combine but also leave great texture, then add the cream in.
Slow Cooker Mushroom Soup ingredients
The ingredients you need for this recipe are all easy to find at the local store. They are set out in the photo below:
As you can see we need:
- mushrooms (I use pre sliced mushrooms)
- vegetable stock
- bay leaves
- dried onion (saves time peeling one!)
- salt and pepper
Thick soup or thin soup? I will go into it in a bit more detail below, but if you want super thick soup, you will also need 2 tbs of corn flour.
This easy mushroom soup recipe is vegetarian, healthy and smells amazing as it pretty much cooks itself!
Healthy Mushroom Soup recipe
This soup is LOADED with mushrooms and it has a ton of garlic in it to!
We add a little cream at the end to make it a a creamy, herby, garlicky, delicious flavoured soup and options to add parmesan cheese, cracked pepper and parsley to garnish!
Our handy Slow Cooker let's us do 'hands free' cooking and we grab our immersion blender to half blitz it at the end to combine.
Step by Step Slow Cooker Musroom Soup
The steps we need to take are shown in the photos below. They are all super easy!
- add mushrooms to the bowl of the slow cooker (photo 1)
- pour in vegetable stock (photo 2)
- add garlic cloves (photo 3)
- as well as dried thyme (photo 4)
Next we need to:
- add dried onion (shown in photo 5)
- salt and pepper (shown in photo 6)
- as well as bay leaves (shown in photo 7)
- cook on high for 2 hours (shown in photo 8)
One of the best things about Slow Cooker's is that you can cook on low or high. If you want to cook this soup on low, it will take 4 hrs.
- Once the soup is cooked, use an immersion blender to blitz ½ of it (shown in photo 9)
- pour the cream into the cooked soup (shown in photo 10)
- stir to combine(shown in photo 11)
- simmer in the Slow Cooker until the soup is once again hot and simmer till ready to serve (shown in photo 12)
One the soup is cooked (2 hours high), you can remove the lid and let it cool down a little.
The next step we are taking is to blend some of the ingredients and this is easier when they have cooled a little.
Blending only half of the ingredients leave us with a soup that has great texture from the remaining unblitxed ingredients!
BEST EVER Mushroom Soup
Is soup really soup if there is no bread to dunk in it? Nah, I don't think so either.
My favourite for this soup is toasting Turkish bread in the oven (with a little spray oil) till golden. I find it makes the perfect soup dunking bread.
Once the soup is cooked, you have a few serving options. Try a sprinkle of cracked pepper, some freshly chopped parsley and toasted bread for dunking and a little parmesan cheese!
If Slow Cooking is your favourite way to spend time in (or out) of the kitchen, you might like:
- Slow Cooker Lemon Garlic Chicken
- Slow Cooker Mushroom Chicken
- Honey Mustard Chicken Wings
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Soup
- Spinach and Ricotta Lasange
Or just love mushies? Try the Air Fryer Portobello Mushroom Pizzas!
Serve your soup in bowls with bread on the side, a little parmesan cheese, cracked pepper and parsley on top!
Slow Cooker Mushroom Soup quick info:
About the recipe:
- this is a vegetarian recipe
- we use 500 grams sliced mushrooms
- you can make the stock from stock cubes and water
- my Slow Cooker is 5 litres (shown in the photos)
FAQs about cooking Mushroom Soup in the Slow Cooker
- you don't need to spray the Slow Cooker bowl
- the herbs, salt, pepper and vegetable stock adds great flavour to the mushroom soup
- this is a freezer friendly recipe
- also a family friendly recipe
- this is an EASY recipe
Slow Cooker Pro tips:
These additional tips are so that you can master Pumpkin Soup in your Slow Cooker from scratch:
- buy sliced mushrooms as then there is no 'hard-work' required at all
- don't take the lid off the Slow Cooker for at least 2 hrs (high), 4 hrs (low)
- allow the soup to cool down a little or somewhat before blending
- the ingredients will sit just above the level of stock. They will shrink down into it when cooking, however
Can I freeze Mushroom Soup?
Yes! This is a perfect recipe to freeze.
Allow the soup to cool and then portion it out into zip lock bags. Seal, then lay flat in the freezer. To defrost simply remove from the freeze, allow to naturally defrost and reheat for 3-4 mins until fully warmed through.
Toasted turkish bread is my favourite for dunking in soups! Spray a little with cooking oil and toast in the oven for dunking into your soup!
The texture of the soup is made through not blitzing the entire batch. We keep some of the ingredients combined but still unblitzed to create a texture sensation when eating!
Slow Cooker Mushroom Soup
- Slow Cooker
Slow Cooker Mushroom Soup
- 500 grams mushrooms Note 1
- 1 litre vegetable stock Note 2
- 10 cloves garlic cloves
- ½ tablespoon dried thyme Note 4
- 2 tbs dried onion Note 3
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 bay leaves
- 300 ml cream
- 2 tbs corn flour Note 5
- parmesan cheese to garnish
- cracked pepper to garnish
Slow Cooker Mushroom Soup
- Add sliced mushrooms, vegetable stock, garlic, thyme, dried onion, salt and pepper, followed by bay leaves to Slow Cooker Bowl.
- Cook for 2 hours on high or 4 hours on low
- Once cooked, remove lid and reduce temperature to low.
- Use an immersion (stick blender to roughly blitz ½ of the soup.
- Pour the cream in and stir to combine.
- For thicker soup, remove ½ cup of the liquid, stir in 1 - 2 tbs of cornflour to make a slurry, then pour this back into the Slow Cooker.
- Serve with toasted bread, parmesan cheese, parsley and cracker pepper.
- Note 1 I use sliced mushrooms as it makes it so convenient and quick to prepare the soup. You can use sliced or purchase button mushrooms and slice them with a knife or mandolin.
- Note 2 Homemade stock, packaged stock or stock cubes mixed with water are all fine for this recipe.
- Note 3 I love using dried onion! It is a total time saver and saves having to peel and slice an onion. The flavour is exactly the same and the flakes re hydrate to give texture. This product can be found with the spices at the supermarket
- Note 4 Can use fresh or dried for the thyme.
- Note 5 For some people, this soup will be the perfect texture as it is. Some other people will want their soup to be a bit thicker. To thicken this soup, after half blitzing, remove ½ cup of the liquid. Add 1 - 2 tablespoons cornflour to that liquid and stir to combine. Once combine pour this ('slurry') back into the slow cooker and stir through. Leave on low for 15 mins then stir again.
During winter your Slow Cooker is your best friend!
They are simple to use, take the hard work out of the kitchen and allow for winter comfort food delights.
Make dinner EASY and CONVENIENT.
This recipe is also perfect for lunches, if meat at dinner time is more your thing.
Please give me a shout if you have questions or make the recipe as I would love to hear your feedback.
Delicious mushroom soup, that is dunk worthy, slurp worthy and herby full of flavour, you are sorted!