Taco Soup with black beans is a simple soup recipe done in 20 minutes on the stove top. This freezer friendly quick and easy recipe is perfect for weeknights, healthy with the addition of the black beans and tastes delicious!
If Mexican recipes are your thing, you might also like the Mexican Lime Chicken Thighs!
They are the products you see in the photos throughout the post and are of such a high quality it is a joy to cook and create with them.
Have a little fun with the garnish for this recipe. Try coriander, avocado, even jalapenos!
How to make Taco Soup?
To make Taco Soup with Black Beans, we need to start by getting all of our ingredients ready as we are going to add the to the mix one by one.
This is a stove top recipe where we start browning off the beef mince which we then add all of the other ingredients to.
Try and use a lid on cooking pot. This will help to retain the heat in the final stages of the recipe, when we put the lid on and let the dish simmer for a few minutes.
Black Bean Taco Soup ingredients
Homemade Taco Seasoning for Ground Beef
The dried spices that you seen in the photo above are used to make our taco seasoning. We simply stir these together and pour over the meat once it is cooked!
What do you eat with Taco Soup?
This is a recipe where there is countless serving options.
Some ideas that you could try are:
- sour cream
- low fat greek yoghurt
- fresh lime wedges
- fresh green chilli
Taco Soup step by step instructions
The steps to make this recipe are outlined in the photos below.
We start by combining our spices to make our taco seasoning. If you prefer to use a store bought 'taco seasoning' mix, that is fine, it will save a little bit of time. But making your own is also great as it allows you to see exactly what goes into it.
- combine dried onion, oregano, paprika, cumin in a small glass or jar (photos 1-4)
- add the garlic powder and stir to combine (shown in photos 5-6)
- add olive oil to your pan, then add beef mince (shown in photos 7-8)
Stove Top Taco Soup
The temperature for browning the mince beef is medium. It will only take 3 - 5 mins. The goal being to cook it until all of the pink mince has changed colour as it will then be cooked through.
- season the mince by adding salt, pepper, dried onion and garlic (shown in photos 9-12)
- once the mince is browned, add the taco seasoning (shown in photos 13-14)
- then pour in the tomatoes and passata (shown in photos 15-16)
We are putting lots of flavour into our mince and then we start to add our textures. If you like you can substitute beef stock for the water as it will create a further depth of flavour in the recipe.
- add the water (shown in photo 17)
- then black beans and 4 bean mix (shown in photo 18)
- add the corn and stir to combine (shown in photo 19)
- place the lid on and allow the dish to simmer for 5 mins (shown in photo 20)
- remove the lid and stir your soup (shown in photo 21)
- spoon in cherry tomatoes that are cut in 2 (shown in photos 22)
- sprinkle the coriander on top (shown in photo 23)
- grab out your dinner set and get ready to serve your soup (shown in photo 24)
Spicy Taco Soup
If you want to add an extra kick of chilli to your soup, you can do that by slicing some jalapenos and sprinkling them on top of the coriander. Alternatively add 1 tsp chilli flakes to your homemade taco seasoning.
What’s for dinner? How about juicy succulent chicken recipes with winning sides?
- Honey Mustard Chicken Thighs, with a side of Skin on Roast Potatoes?
- Blue Cheese Mac and Cheese
- Turkey Chilli Con Carne
- Moroccan Lamb Couscous
- Chicken Noodle Stir Fry
- Garlic Lamb Chops will tick all of your boxes!
The soup has great texture from the black beans and corn and a rich tomato based sauce.
Black Bean Taco Soup recipe quick info:
About the recipe:
- we use 2 x tins of black beans, drained and rinsed.
- also rinse the 4 beans and the corn
- go for crushed tomatoes with no additional herbs (plenty in the recipe)
- fresh coriander brings a zesty delicious taste, don't go without it!
FAQs about taco soup with black beans
- we add our olive oil before the mince to ensure no sticking
- if you can't find crushed tomatoes, choose diced tomatoes
- the cut cherry tomatoes bring the element of eating fresh tacos to the soup
- chilli flakes are optional
- this is a family friendly recipe
- This is an EASY recipe
Stove Top Taco Soup Pro tips:
These additional tips are so that you can master this recipe from the 1st time you make it:
- use a wooden spoon to stir as it won't scratch your cast iron pot
- the mince will brown very quickly, stir it as you go to break into small pieces
- ½ of the dried onion in the recipe is for the taco seasoning and ½ to season the mince
- for an extra depth of flavour use beef stock instead of the water
- rinse your beans and corn at the start, so you can simply add them in
- if the dinner is ready but the family is not, replace the lid and leave the stove on a low heat
- serve with lime wedges, jalapenos and avocado!
This Taco Soup is so simple and easy and you can't go wrong with the recipe! Toast some tortillas with a little salt for dipping and crunch!
To freeze this recipe, you can portion it out into zip lock bags and lay then flat in your freezer! This will save a lot of room and they defrost very easily in the fridge!
Taco Soup with Black Beans
- Cast iron pot (Staub Cocotte) Shown in photo is 28cm, 6.7l
- Wooden spoon
Taco Soup with Black Beans
- 500 grams beef mince Note 1
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 800 grams black beans drained and rinsed
- 400 grams 4 bean mix drained and rinsed
- 400 grams corn kernels drained and rinsed
- 400 grams crushed tomatoes Note 2
- 700 grams passata
- 250 grams cherry tomatoes Note 3
- 2 cups water
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbs cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp dried onion for beef mince Note 4
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp dried onion for taco seasoning
- 1 tsp oregano
- ½ tbsp garlic powder Note 5
- avocado to serve
- coriander to serve
Taco Soup with Black Beans
- Turn the stove on to a medium heat.
- Add olive oil, beef mince, crushed garlic, dried onion, salt and pepper to your cast iron pot. (Staub cocotte)
- Brown off the beef mince which will take 3-4 mins
- Pour taco seasoning mix over browned beef mince
- Pour in crushed tomatoes, passata, water, black beans and 4 bean mix and once soup starts bubbling on the outside edge, place lid on and simmer (low heat for 10 mins)
- Remove lid, use a spoon to transfer cherry tomatoes to the top of the soup, stir 1-2 time with a wooden spoon and then turn off the heat.
- Serve with coriander, avocado, fresh limes and toasted tortilla wedges
- Note 1 In Australia we call this beef mince, in the USA it is known as ground beef. It is the same thing. You can use pork, chicken or turkey mince if you prefer.
- Note 2 If you can't find crushed tomatoes, go for the diced version instead. Try to get a plain tin though with no additional herbs. That way you know exactly what is going into your dish.
- Note 3 I love adding these to this recipe as they are fresh and bring that quality to the recipe. The texture, taste and freshness is reminiscent of traditional 'tacos!'.
- Note 4 we use some of our dried onion for seasoning the beef mince and some in the taco seasoning. There is 2 shown in the ingredients pic and that is for their 2 uses.
- Note 5 If you want to make this recipe even more easy than it is, you can use a packet of taco seasoning. Whatever suits you. It is easy to combine the spices for the homemade taco seasoning but you might be tired/lack energy and want to grab that so you don't have to think about which spices you need, that is totally fine!!
Quick and Easy recipes are perfect for week nights as there is less time, energy and space to cook slowly like we can on the weekends.
Ground meat recipes work for these nights. They don't take long to cook, they can be done and will wait patiently on the stove for you and there is a wide variety of options to ensure you don't get bored!
Please give me a shout if you have questions or make the recipe and want to give feedback.
I've got you sorted for dinner, for flavour, on time and you have got this taco soup SORTED and on your table!