Taco Soup with black beans is a simple soup recipe done in 20 minutes on the stove top. This freezer friendly quick and easy recipe is perfect for weeknights, healthy with the addition of the black beans and tastes delicious!
If Mexican recipes are your thing, you might also like the Mexican Lime Chicken Thighs or Mexican Fries recipes.
Or go for similar texture with different flavours in my Chipolatas with Baked Beans or Easy Chunky Beef Stew.
I have worked with my friends over at Everten to share this recipe with you. You can purchase both the Staub Round Cocotte and the beautiful Ecology Ottawa Lichen Dinner Set from their site.
🤍 Recipe Highlights
The things that you will come to know and love about this recipe as summarised in the points below:
- Fully packed with flavour: this recipe has texture, flavour and taste. It is a fully loaded soup that will tick all of you boxes.
- Winter comfort food: belly warming, heart warming and tasty, you will be licking your lips whilst devouring a bowl of this soup.
- Have a little fun with the garnish for this recipe. Try coriander, avocado, even jalapenos!
The ingredients that you need to make this recipe as set out and labelled in the photo below. Find the exact measurements in the printable recipe card.
As you can see, the recipe calls for:
- Beef mince: this is the same thing as ground beef. It is freezer friendly, budget friendly and highly versatile.
- Black beans: commonly found in Mexican recipes, these are also budget friendly, add protein and can be stored in the pantry for grabbing as needed.
- Corn: another tinned ingredient in the recipe that can be kept in the pantry till needed. Corn is inexpensive and has great texture.
- 4 Bean Mix: these beans add loads of texture and variety to the dish. We drain and rinse them prior to using.
- Passata: a thick tomato sauce ingredient, commonly found in Italian dishes. It has a smooth texture and thickish consistency.
- Crushed tomatoes: grab the plain, unseasoned variety.
- Minced garlic: from a jar is fine and makes life easy for this ingredient. You could also use freshly chopped garlic cloves.
- Dried onion: save time and your tears by using this instead of fresh onion. The taste is the same and the time involved is much less than peeling and slicing an onion.
- Oregano: we add a touch of this dried herb for flavour in the recipe.
Homemade Taco Seasoning for Ground Beef
The dried spices that you seen in the photo above are used to make our taco seasoning. We simply stir these together and pour over the meat once it is cooked!
This soup recipe has lots of colour texture and taste, the best thing though is how easy it is to make!
The steps to make this recipe are outlined in the photos below. We start by combining the seasoning.
We start by combining our spices to make our taco seasoning. If you prefer to use a store bought 'taco seasoning' mix, that is fine, it will save a little bit of time. But making your own is also great as it allows you to see exactly what goes into it.
- Combine dried onion, oregano, paprika, cumin in a small glass or jar (Photos 1-4)
- Add the garlic powder and stir to combine (Photos 5-6)
- Add olive oil to your pan, then add beef mince (Photos 7-8)
Taco Soup with Black Beans
The temperature for browning the mince beef is medium. It will only take 3 - 5 mins. The goal being to cook it until all of the pink mince has changed colour as it will then be cooked through.
- Season the mince by adding salt, pepper, dried onion and garlic (Photos 9-12)
- Once the mince is browned, add the taco seasoning (Photos 13-14)
- Then pour in the tomatoes and passata (Photos 15-16)
We are putting lots of flavour into our mince and then we start to add our textures. If you like you can substitute beef stock for the water as it will create a further depth of flavour in the recipe.
- Add the water (Photo 17)
- Then black beans and 4 bean mix (Photo 18)
- Add the corn and stir to combine (Photo 19)
- Place the lid on and allow the dish to simmer (Photo 20)
- Remove the lid and stir your soup (Photo 21)
- Spoon in cherry tomatoes that are cut in 2 (Photo 22)
- Sprinkle the coriander on top (Photo 23)
- Get ready to serve your soup (Photo 24)
Spicy Taco Soup
If you want to add an extra kick of chilli to your soup, you can do that by slicing some jalapenos and sprinkling them on top of the coriander. Alternatively add 1 teaspoon chilli flakes to your homemade taco seasoning.
💡 Tasty Tips
These additional tips are so that you can master this recipe from the 1st time you make it:
- Use a wooden spoon to stir as it won't scratch your cast iron pot
- The mince will brown very quickly, stir it as you go to break into small pieces
- ½ of the dried onion in the recipe is for the taco seasoning and ½ to season the mince
- For an extra depth of flavour use beef stock instead of the water
- Rinse your beans and corn at the start, so you can simply add them in
- If the dinner is ready but the family is not, replace the lid and leave the stove on a low heat
- Serve with lime wedges, jalapenos and avocado!
This Taco Soup is so simple and easy and you can't go wrong with the recipe! Toast some tortillas with a little salt for dipping and crunch!
🤓 Frequently Asked Questions
What do you eat with Taco Soup?
There are so many delicious pairings that work well with Taco Soup. Some ideas that you might like to try are:
- Sour cream
- Low fat Greek yoghurt
- Fresh lime wedges
- Fresh green chilli
To freeze this recipe, you can portion it out into zip lock bags and lay then flat in your freezer! This will save a lot of room and they defrost very easily in the fridge!
😍 More Easy Dinner Recipes
What’s for dinner? How about juicy succulent chicken recipes with winning sides?
- Honey Mustard Chicken Thighs, with a side of Skin on Roast Potatoes.
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Soup
- Lamb Osso Bucco
- Slow Cooker Lamb Stew
- Blue Cheese Mac and Cheese
- Slow Cooker Mushroom Soup
- Turkey Chilli Con Carne
- Tomato Mac and Cheese
- Moroccan Lamb Couscous
- Chicken Noodle Stir Fry
Find all of my dinner recipes in the one spot.
I've got you sorted for dinner, for flavour, on time and you have got this taco soup SORTED and on your table!
Taco Soup with Black Beans
- 1 Cast iron pot (Staub Cocotte) Shown in photo is 28cm, 6.7l
- 1 Wooden spoon
- 500 grams beef mince Note 1
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 800 grams black beans drained and rinsed
- 400 grams 4 bean mix drained and rinsed
- 400 grams corn kernels drained and rinsed
- 400 grams crushed tomatoes Note 2
- 700 grams passata
- 250 grams cherry tomatoes Note 3
- 2 cups water
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbs cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried onion for beef mince Note 4
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried onion for taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ tablespoon garlic powder Note 5
- avocado to serve
- coriander to serve
- Turn the stove on to a medium heat.
- Add olive oil, beef mince, crushed garlic, dried onion, salt and pepper to your cast iron pot. (Staub cocotte)
- Brown off the beef mince which will take 3-4 mins
- Pour taco seasoning mix over browned beef mince
- Pour in crushed tomatoes, passata, water, black beans and 4 bean mix and once soup starts bubbling on the outside edge, place lid on and simmer (low heat for 10 mins)
- Remove lid, use a spoon to transfer cherry tomatoes to the top of the soup, stir 1-2 time with a wooden spoon and then turn off the heat.
- Serve with coriander, avocado, fresh limes and toasted tortilla wedges
- Note 1 In Australia we call this beef mince, in the USA it is known as ground beef. It is the same thing. You can use pork, chicken or turkey mince if you prefer.
- Note 2 If you can't find crushed tomatoes, go for the diced version instead. Try to get a plain tin though with no additional herbs. That way you know exactly what is going into your dish.
- Note 3 I love adding these to this recipe as they are fresh and bring that quality to the recipe. The texture, taste and freshness is reminiscent of traditional 'tacos!'.
- Note 4 we use some of our dried onion for seasoning the beef mince and some in the taco seasoning. There is 2 shown in the ingredients pic and that is for their 2 uses.
- Note 5 If you want to make this recipe even more easy than it is, you can use a packet of taco seasoning. Whatever suits you. It is easy to combine the spices for the homemade taco seasoning but you might be tired/lack energy and want to grab that so you don't have to think about which spices you need, that is totally fine!!
Made it for the family and it was a hit!
That is great to hear, thanks Katie!
mimi rippee says
Taco Soup! Some of my most favorite flavors. I really like this idea. And, I love the toppings. Those are so much fun!
Thanks Mimi! Yes, loaded taco toppings are the best, cheers for your feedback.