Easy Butter Chicken, Creamy Garlic Chicken Thighs, Blue Cheese Mac and Cheese, Moroccan Lamb Couscous, Turkey Chilli Con Carne, Ground Beef Casserole, are all delicious dinner recipes you can serve or pair with a side dish like our skin on roast potatoes, Creamy Garlic Potatoes or horseradish mashed potatoes for a complete meal! Or try our Taco Soup with Black Beans for something completely different!
Do you love tender, juicy chicken with a luscious gravy sauce being dripped all over it? Then, this dinner is for you!
If mushrooms and chicken are not a match made in heaven, I don’t know what is!
This is THE BEST yellow mustard marinade for chicken you will ever have.
Skillet Honey Mustard Chicken thighs are easy!
Chicken thighs are such a great option. Different to other cuts of meat like chicken breast, drumsticks or wings. If you don’t want to roast a whole chicken like our Slow Cooker Lemon Garlic Chicken, you will enjoy cooking chicken thighs for a change.
They are easy to prepare and the flavour combinations are endless.
With this recipe we are going for a lip smacking creamy, rich combination which is honey and mustard.
If you are wondering why to put mustard on chicken, it is because it TASTES AMAZING when you do.
The pungent strong aromatic paste makes for seriously DELICIOUS chicken thighs!
Hot English Mustard, honey, garlic, onion, mustard seeds, salt and pepper work their magic to create a thick marinade that can be cooked right away.
This is such a great dinner recipe as it is tasty and doesn’t involve hours of cooking.
I like using skinless, boneless chicken thighs, but you can also use bone in chicken thighs.
What ingredients are used for Honey Mustard Chicken Thighs ?
You guess it that the top 2 ingredients for making these chicken thighs is honey and mustard.
Hot english mustard delivers incredible flavour for our chicken and doesn’t have a ‘too hot’ sting in it when mixed with the other ingredients.
If you are after a milder taste, you can substitue dijion mustard or American mustard.
I find whole grain mustard tricky at times to cook with as it is such a paste, it is hard to use it to create a consistent flavour to dishes. Instead, I incorporate mustard seeds as that gives the texture and they are easily distributed throughout the recipe.
The ingredients for honey mustard chicken thighs are:
- chicken thighs
- mustard seeds
- lemon juice
- garlic powder
- dried onion
- olive oil
The ingredients are set out in the photo below. You can see exactly what you need for this recipe.
Both boneless and bone in chicken thighs will work, bone in chicken thighs will take a slightly longer time to cook, otherwise the process is the same!
How do you make honey mustard chicken thighs
To make honey mustard chicken thighs I use a skillet (or griddle), I start the cooking on the stove top and finish it in the oven.
Skillet cooking is easy and the pan can move between stove and oven with no dramas
We make our honey mustard chicken marinade then use it to coat the chicken, before cooking. The benefit of this marinade is there is no actual marinade period. Once the chicken is coated, we can simply season our pan and start cooking.
There is essentially 24 steps from start to finish for this recipe. I have taken photos of these below, so you can follow easily.
This is the breakdown of steps:
- make honey mustard marinade (shown in photos 1-10)
- coat both sides of chicken thighs in marinade (shown in photos 11 and 12)
- cook one side of the chicken (shown in photo 13)
- flip and cook other side (shown in photo 14 )
- add cream to remaining marinade (shown in photos 15 and 16)
- prepare our veggies (show in photos 17-19)
- remove cooked chicken from pan (shown in photo 20)
- add sliced mushrooms to skillet (shown in photo 21)
- place cooked chicken on top (shown in photo 22)
- pour sauce in to cover (shown in photo 23)
- place in oven to cook (shown in photo 24)
The texture of the honey mustard chicken marinade is thick and paste like. The honey mustard sauce is creamy and dream like. It is ok if you lick your lips and mouth waters when you are making this one!
Talk about an easy honey mustard baked chicken dinner. This recipe will hearts and you may be asked to make it every night of the week, it is just SO GOOD!
Creamy Honey Mustard Sauce
You will find that when you are doing steps 11 and 12, you will have leftover marinade in your bowl. That also forms the basis for our honey mustard sauce. So, set it aside once the chicken is coated and bring it back to mix with the cream (shown in photos 15 – 16 above)
This is seriously one of the BEST EVER combinations of sauce for baked chicken thighs.
There are 2 essential steps highlighted in the process shots above. These are the ones that bring maximum bomb diggity flavour to our chicken.
These 2 steps are shown in the photo below. How good does that creamy honey mustard sauce look!!
How to make honey mustard chicken thighs, the 2 essential steps
What you can see is:
- marinading our chicken thighs (I use a pastry brush)
- pouring the sauce into the skillet (it is all thick and creamy delicious with a colour that scream MUST-ard!)
In a nutshell this IS our recipe. It is about using flavour and texture to create simply delicious chicken!
How to serve honey mustard chicken thighs
Serving honey mustard chicken thighs is easy. Pop the skillet right in the middle of your dinner table if you like!
I liked for each plate to have a bed of beans as they replace the need for rice, making this a low carb dinner!! (Winner, winner chicken dinner! )
Simply boil some water, add a pinch of salt, throw some green beans in there, turn the heat off, let sit, drain and then plate.
You will find that you have leftover sauce in your skillet, which is perfect, use this for serving. It is a thick, gravy like sauce which is lip smackingly delicious.
Boneless skinless chicken thighs in the oven
The reason why we start this recipe in the skillet on the stove is to sear the chicken thighs. They cook very quickly and end up with lovely grill marks on them. We use just a little touch of oil oil to achieve this.
Adding the mushrooms and honey mustard sauce is the start of serving a meal and not just a cut of meat.
Once the sauce has been poured into the skillet, we can easily place the whole thing into the oven and cook the honey mustard sauce which will take less than 10 mins.
FAQs to cook your chicken thighs
- this recipe is for 5 chicken thighs
- use the cooked honey mustard sauce as gravy
- this will keep in the fridge for a few days when cooked
- however they can be battered the day before
Honey Mustard Chicken Thighs quick info:
About the recipe:
- boneless chicken thighs (but can use bone in)
- chicken thighs are skinless
- marinade both sides with a pastry brush
- use remaining marinade combined with creamy
- thick and creamy honey mustard sauce
Your quick questions answered:
- these cook quickly!
- this recipe is for 500 grams of chicken thighs
- I used yellow mustard seeds
- the Hot English Mustard has great flavour
- This is an EASY recipe
Troubleshooting chicken thighs tips:
If you are new to cooking chicken thighs keep in mind:
- they will cook quicker than drumsticks
- cook for 4-5 mins on one side, flip then 4-5 mins on other side
Pile your plates high with green beans, pop your honey mustard chicken thighs on top, drizzle with honey mustard sauce and EAT!
Expert tips for success:
- use either Hot English Mustard, Dijon mustard or America mustard
- add mustard seeds for both flavour and texture
- you can test a bit of the chicken to ensure it is cooked through (white)
- use kitchen tongs to easily flip between each side
If you can’t find black mustard seeds, they look very effective, but if you can’t simply chose yellow ones and cracked pepper (colours will be same)
Chicken recipes to inspire you!
- Creamy Garlic Chicken Thighs
- Slow Cooker Mushroom Chicken Thighs
- Chicken Cacciatore (uses thighs and drumsticks)
- Slow Cooker Lemon Garlic Chicken
All of these can be served with a side of the crispiest ever Duck Fat Roast Potatoes!
Honey Mustard Chicken Thighs
- Skillet or griddle
Honey Mustard Chicken Thighs
- 500 grams chicken thighs Note 1
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/3 cup hot english mustard Note 2
- 1/2 tbsp mustard seeds Note 3
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tbsp dried onion
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup cream
- 500 grams mushrooms
- cracked pepper and chopped parsley to garnish
Honey Mustard Chicken Thighs
- In a small bowl combine honey, mustard, lemon juice, garlic powder, dried onion, mustard seeds, salt and pepper. Stir to mix together.
- Use a pastry brush to coat both sides of chicken thighs with honey mustard marinade. Set aside remaining marinade.
- Add olive oil to skillet and turn to a medium heat. Use tongs to transfer chicken thighs into pan.
- Cook chicken thighs for 4 - 5 mins each side. Use tongs to flip.
- When meat is fully cooked (no pink), turn off and remove from heat Note 4
- Momentarily transfer cooked chicken thighs to a side plate
- Stir cream into remaining honey mustard sauce and mix together well
- Slice mushrooms finely
- Add mushrooms to skillet, place cooked chicken thighs on top, pour over creamy honey mustard sauce
- Place in oven and cook for 10 mins
- Serve with boiled green beans and remaining honey mustard sauce from skillet Note 5
- Note 1 I like to use skinless and boneless chicken thighs for this recipe. But you can use bone in, skin on chicken thighs if you prefer
- Note 2 you can use Dijon mustard if the thought of Hot English Mustard scares you off. In reality the heat of the mustard dissipates when being cooked, but I understand that people have milder tastes, so this is a good substitute.
- Note 3 yellow mustard seeds are notoriously easier to find than black ones. Either will work well. I use yellow and cracked pepper so you end up with the 2 colour contrast which looks nice on the plate
- Note 4 you can cut into the back of one of the thighs with a knife and fork to ensure they are cooked before removing from the stove. There should be only white meat, no pink (raw chicken).
- Note 5 when cooking the green beans for this recipe, I boil a pot of water, add a pinch of salt, add the beans and turn the heat off. Then after 2 -3 mins I drain the beans. This keeps them crunchy so they don't turn to mush. Mushy peas = yes, mushy beans = no.
Published 25th September 2019, updated 18th April 2020, with extra cooking tips!
If you haven’t cooked with chicken thighs yet, I am here to tell you to try them STAT! You don’t realise the succulent juicy chicken delight that you are missing out on until you do!
Start with the boneless ones as they will be easier to cook with then move on to the bone in chicken thighs once you have made a recipe or 2.
The creamy honey mustard sauce is SO GOOD!!
If anything springs to mind that I haven’t mentioned here, shout out as I am here to help.