Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole is crunchy, cheesy and delicious! Simply make your breakfast frittata lay each tater tot on top and oven bake!
I have a confession to make: Ermagawd, this recipe is seriously delicious!
This recipe is a good example of using our skillet to make oven baked frittatas. You can also use a slice tray like we do in our Zucchini Frittata recipe.
Crispy Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole you will jump out of bed for!
Crunchy Tater Tots on top of a delicious bacon and egg frittata
OMG guys!! This recipe is literally going to knock your socks off! I am so happy to share with you my Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole recipe and I know you are going to absolutely love it!
This recipe is so easy but the taste is amazing and it will fast become your favourite breakfast.
I mean what could seriously be better than a bacon and egg frittata topped with tater tots? Nope, I can’t think of anything either!
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole fresh from the oven
Tater Tots are delicious on their own, we all know that. The crunchy, crispy outside, the soft potato centre. But topping a frittata with tater tots is next level AMAZING!
Tater Tot Breakfast Frittata is crunchy, cheesy and delicious! Simply make your breakfast frittata lay each tater tot on top and oven bake!
In Australia we call Tater Tots, Potato gems. They are the same thing. So to my Aussie friends this is a Potato Gem Breakfast Frittata (it doesn’t sound half as cool as tater tot bake though does it!). Often used as a side dish for chicken, steak or on their own. They are delicious and I know you will have tried them. I think we all have (possibly many, many times!)
We take the traditional bacon and egg breakfast and turn it into a breakfast frittata packed with delicious ingredients. We then top that with Tator Tots and oven bake it in a skillet till they are cooked to crunchy perfection!
Can I make Tater Tot Casserole the night before?
You can absolutely make this recipe the night before! It is one pot recipe and you can literally put that pot into the refrigerator overnight and have it hot and on the table after reheating the next day.
A bonus in doing that is it is actually easier to cut up when it is cool.
I recommend reheating in the oven as we want our tater tot topping (trying saying that 10 times quickly!) to be crunchy and delicious and for a couple extra minutes the oven will do the trick (microwave, so much).
For perfectly straight edges to your slices, wait for the frittata to cool down, then cut it!
What is in a Breakfast Casserole?
The short answer to this question is all of the good stuff!
- BBQ Sauce
- Rocket (arugula)
- Cherry tomatoes
- Shallots (green onions)
I love the combination of bacon, eggs and bbq sauce for breakfast. So adding all of those ingredients into a frittata was the most fun cooking ever!
How do you make a Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole?
You make this recipe starting with spraying your oven proof skillet with cooking oil. Don’t worry too much if you don’t have a round skillet, you can use a casserole dish, a baking dish or any deep heatproof oven tray.
I know it can be confusing with all of the terms for bakeware. You might have a perfectly good casserole dish in your cupboard but be unsure if that is the right vessel for a frittata. I totally understand this 🙂
A casserole dish is another name for a baking dish that can sustain high heat and is deep allowing you to fill with loads of ingredients.
This Tater Tot Breakfast Frittata could also be called a Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole. I say that to reassure you that you don’t need to sweat the small stuff in the kitchen. Not knowing who is who and what is what for every cooking term should not stop you from cooking your heart out.
If you told a friend you were making them a breakfast casserole they might be expecting a dish that is more hearty with chunks of meat and vegetables. Casseroles do have that connotation. But don’t let that fool you. If it looks like a Tater Tot Breakfast Frittata and tastes like a breakfast frittata, calling it a Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole won’t loose you any friends!
I cannot stop testing out my American accent in my head as I repeat ‘Tater Tots’ as I type, haha!!
To make our Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole we follow some simple steps:
- Preheat your oven
- Spray your chosen dish with cooking spray (I chose my white kitchen skillet)
- Start adding your dry frittata ingredients to your skillet (dish, tray, french pan, etc)
- Create layers of all of the dry ingredients
- Whisk your eggs ever so slightly and add the cream
- Pour your egg mix over your dry frittata ingredients (I took lots of pics of this to show you the steps)
- Top your frittata with tater tots
- Oven bake till crispy and delicious
What to serve with Tater Tot Breakfast Bake
- My suggestion is green leafy vegetables
- So whilst you have some rocket (arugula) in the frittata, a few more greens on the side completes the meal
- This breakfast frittata covers a craving for bacon and eggs, hash browns and a bbq sauce burger all in one!
- Keep the sides simple as the frittata is ticking a lot of food group boxes
- OJ, a hot coffee, chai latte (in my case) and you are set
We pop this one pot meal into the oven, then we sit back and wait. Or you can do what I do occasionally and I kid you not, sit on the floor in front of the oven watching the dish bake. I know, it’s totally nerdy!! But I love it! It brings me great satisfaction to sit there and watch my recipes bubbling away.
How to make Frittata in an ovenproof skillet
Adding a touch of bbq sauce to the frittata before cooking gives it that bbq bacon egg hash brown type combination of foods that you might be craving if you had a few knock off drinks the night before. (Us Aussies call after work drinks, ‘knock off drinks’ or sometimes ‘bevvies’).
I really enjoy the process of layering ingredients for frittata as I find it an easy way to get everything into the dish without forgetting anything!
The bacon gets cooked in the egg mix as the frittata is in the oven. Some recipes may call for bacon being cooked before putting it the oven, but for this one, it tastes better if we don’t. Besides we have so much crunch coming at us from our tater tots, we don’t need any crispy bacon!
It is starting to look all cheesy, bacon-y now!!
How pretty do those tomatoes look for breakfast!
All of the dry ingredients are packed into our skillet to ensure our breakfast frittata is loaded!
The BBQ sauce goes on top of the ingredients and you will taste it when you are devouring the dish (yummo, good stuff).
No questions about the most fun step of the recipe. The layering of tater tots!! (I feel this needs to be accompanied with ‘dun, dun, darrr! Haha!)
Simply start on the outside and place each tater tot onto the frittata mix and continue going around until the top is covered.
Can I freeze my Tater Tot Frittata?
The thing with the tater tots is that they come from a frozen state. We cook them like that till they are thoroughly crispy and delicious. For that reason, I do not suggest freezing this breakfast frittata.
I do, however, want to make a distinction here. If this was a regular frittata (using the exact same ingredients), you could freeze and reheat it.
The biggest point of difference is that it is generally not wise to refreeze foods that have been frozen to begin with.
Never fear though my friends as this breakfast frittata is so dang good, there won’t be any leftovers to freeze!
How long to bake breakfast frittata for ?
This is one step in the recipe where you really have to be patient. The dish will take 45 minutes to cook. But it will be worth every minute of that time when you are biting into the crunchy deliciousness of it, don’t you worry!
As the tater tots are layered over the egg and cheese mix (so they become cheesy and delicious), when the frittata cooks, the cheese works as the glue to stick them to the top of the frittata. (I know right, did you just drool a little thinking about how good that is!!)
When this was done I had to stop myself from pulling the center tater tot up and into my mouth from the middle of the skillet (it involved a lot of self restraint trust me!).
FAQs to cook your Tater Tot Frittata
- The tater tots will take longer to cook that you think
- You will know it is ready then there is no wobble in the very centre of the skillet
- The tater tots will change colour and turn a nice golden colour
- You will see the cheese work as glue to stick the potato gems to the top of the frittata
Tater Tot Breakfast Frittata quick info:
About the recipe:
- The tater tots will stick to the top of the frittata as the cheese melts
- Wait for the frittata to cool down before cutting it to ensure slices with smooth edges
- You can refrigerate overnight and reheat the next day
- Omit the bacon for a vegetarian breakfast frittata (optional)
Your quick questions answered:
- Tater Tot Breakfast Frittata is crunchy, cheesy and delicious!
- The dish will take 45 minutes to cook to ensure tater tots are crispy
- The recipe will serve 6 people
- Reheat leftovers the next day
- This is an EASY breakfast recipe
Troubleshooting frittata tips
If you are new to cooking frittata’s keep in mind:
- The frittata needs to be fully cooked with no wobble
- Thin frittata will occur if your skillet or casserole dish is too wide, smaller is better as thicker is better
- Cut with a sharp knife directly through the tater tots.
- Zucchini Frittata
- ;Pumpkin Frittata with ricotta cheese
- Broccoli, Bacon and Cream Cheese Frittata
- Broccoli Bacon Frittata
- Tomato and Feta Frittatas
- Mini Mushrooms Frittatas
Tater Tot Breakfast Frittata
Tator Tot Breakfast Frittata
- cooking oil Note 1
- 2 cups rocket leaves
- 300 grams diced bacon
- 1/4 cup mozzarella grated, Note 6
- 1 bunch shallots thinly slices, green onions if in the USA, Canada
- 250 grams cherry tomatoes cut into halves
- 1 tbs bbq sauce Note 2
- 6 eggs free range
- 1/2 cup cream
- 500 grams tater tots Note 3, 4
Tater Tot Breakfast Frittata
- Preheat oven to 200°c /400°F, gas 6
- Spray 26cm skillet with cooking oil (Note 5)
- Layer your dry ingredients into your skillet starting with rocket, bacon, cheese, cherry tomatoes, shallots and bbq sauce
- Very slightly whisk eggs add cream to eggs, and slightly whisk to combine (Note 6)
- Pour egg mix into skillet in a clockwise fashion
- Starting on the outside and working in, top frittata ingredients with tater tots.
- Oven bake for 45 minutes (Note 6)
- Garnish with shallots and cherry tomatoes
- Note 1 a thin even layer of cooking spray oil will do the trick!
- Note 2 Don't worry about accurately measuring the sauce out, just squirt a bit over the ingredients and that will be perfect.
- Note 3 just grab a 1kg bag of tator tots and you will end up using about 1/2 of them (save for another recipe!)
- Note 4 you can use salt/pepper on top but I find there are so many delicious flavours, it isn't necessary
- Note 5 my skillet is 26 cm. I recommend that size or smaller. If using a bigger dish, add another 2 eggs (so 8 in total) to the recipe, but keep remaining ingredients the same. You will need more tator tots as well though if your dish is bigger. We want a thick slice of frittata not a thin omelette height one
- Note 6 think about this step as whisking to smooth and combine but not actual whisk anything
- Note 7 if your skillet or dish is very wide or deep put the cheese layer on last before the tator tots so they stick
- Note 8 the cooking is the most important step of this recipe. It will take 45 minutes even if your bag of tator tots say they will cook in 15 minutes. They won't due to the fact that are sitting on a wet egg mix not a flat baking tray. Ensure no wobble in centre of frittata to ensure it is cooked before removing from oven.
Tater Tot Topping
Disclaimer: No Tater Tots were hurt in the making of this recipe, but many were consumed, haha! They are soooo good if you are patient and wait till they cook properly. Under cooked they will not crisp as well as they need the heat for a long time to work. Be patient and trust me x
If you give this Tater Tot Breakfast Frittata (I know, I know, we talked about it, yours might be a Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole, it’s all good) a go, I would love to see and hear what you think about it.
P.S. Go on say ‘Tater Tot’ to yourself in an American accent and then say ‘tater tot topping’ 10 times in a row, or an Aussie Accent for my American friends, I double dare you, haah!