Hash Brown Grilled Cheese is on the breakfast menu. This epic grilled cheese will have you looking forward to Sundays with cheesy anticipation!
You may as well call this a hash brown burger. It is seriously one of the best hash brown breakfast combinations to satisfy your hunger.
Fun Fact: This is a vegetarian recipe!
A crispy Hash Brown Grilled Cheese that is cheesy, easy and ridiculously delicious.
This is a ridiculously tasty toasted sandwich or toastie as we say in Australia. How does a Hash Brown Grilled Cheese sound for breakfast, delicious right!! We cook the hash brown till crispy, butter some rye sourdough, add mozzarella cheese, rocket (arugula), bbq sauce, our hash brown and pop it in a skillet until the cheese melts and the bread becomes golden and crunchy.
If there is anything that will get you out of bed on a day when you don’t have to do anything other than relax, it is a hash brown burger, am I right?
Best Ever Hash Brown Grilled Cheese!
Oh yummmm. This is the best grilled cheese recipe! You will be looking forward to the weekend, with this on your breakfast table!
How about a hashbrown breakfast that is also comes with bbq sauce. It is a winning combination, do you agree?
Is there anything better than cheese oozing from the sides of sourdough, bbq sauce dripping down the edges and a hash brown right in the middle of 2 pieces of buttery bread, nope, I don’t think there is!
You won’t need to drive to the local burger joint to wrap your chops around this hash brown grilled cheeseburger, you will just need to jump out of bed and head to your kitchen!
How to make a Hash Brown Burger aka Grilled Cheese
Hash Browns are a breakfast favourite loved by everyone. Whether or not a drive through trip to McDonalds or Burger King is on your road trip for the day, there is something so appealing about potato in a crispy coating. Your greasy salty finger tips are the true testament to a hash brown that has been gobbled up within seconds and I know they taste particularly good if you have had a few vinos the night before!
Call it a grilled cheese, a toastie, cheese melt, melted cheese, jaffle, sando or toasted sandwich, everyone loves cheese oozying out the sides of some crusty bread!
To make hash brown grilled cheese, we follow some simple basic steps:
- Cook the hash browns
- Butter the bread
- Lay bread flat on skillet or fry pan
- Spread bbq sauce on other side of buttered bread
- Top with rocket leaves
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese
- Add hash brown
- Drizzle bbq sauce
- Top with remaining bread
- Cook until cheese melts
- Flip, cook other side
This vegetarian grilled cheese is a crowd pleaser for everyone. There is so much going on with the crunch and texture that we keep the recipe to 6 simple ingredients. You might already have most of the ingredients in your fridge already!
What can I add to my grilled cheese?
This recipe is simple and easy. It provides great flavour and texture and is a nice change from the traditional bacon and egg breakfast.
Our key ingredients are:
- rye sourdough
- bbq sauce
- mozarella cheese
- hash browns
- rocket (arugula)
You could also add:
There are so many varieties of grilled cheese, you will have fun being creative and thinking about additional ingredients!
What do people dip grilled cheese in?
The best answer to this is any sauce you like!
You can try:
- tomato sauce
- balsamic vinegar
- sweet chill sauce
- ranch dressing
- marinara sauce
BBQ sauce is my favourite and it tastes AMAZING with the hash brown and melted cheese. Fill yourself a small bowl to dip the grilled cheese into.
How do you make a Grilled Cheese on the stove?
Making a grilled cheese on the stove top is really easy.
You are best to use a skillet or fry pan. Placing the buttered side of each sandwich onto the flat plate, you use a medium heat and wait till the cheese melts before flipping. This ensures that both sides of the bread are crispy and toasted to perfection.
You can use a sandwich press but it will squash your sandwich together so it is thin whereas a grilled cheese from the stove has all of the ingredients melted together but it stays thicker like a regular sandwich width.
You will need to cook your hash browns in the oven or on a sandwich press before adding them to your sandwich. This is because they will be frozen to begin with and would not cook as fast as the cheese melts if we didn’t cook them.
Using a sandwich press is a fast way to cook hash browns. They usually take only 3-4 minutes and that is when they are straight from the freezer.
This is my preferred method and I recommend you try it out!
I try to pile all of my ingredients into the sandwich and as much as I hate to say it, it is easier to cook them if you don’t over fill them!
A hashbrown burger needs to be one which you want to wrap your mouth around. The bread plus the hashbrown, cheese and rocket result in quite a thick sandwich, so you will definately need both hands for this one!
Best bread for Hash Brown Grilled Cheese?
I like using rye sourdough when I make my grilled cheese.
You case use any bread you like though, multi grain, wholemeal, pumkpin are all good choices.
The best tip I have is don’t use the pieces that have holes in them as all of the ingredients will drip out!
It amazes me sometimes a loaf will look perfect from the outside but when you open it up, a few pieces in the middle will have great whopping holes! They are definitely not toastie approved. I usually freeze them and use for breadcrumbs instead.
Over the years, I have tried cooking spray and butter for my grilled cheese. I found the butter does the better job of toasting the bread.
FAQs to cook your Hash Brown Grilled Cheese
- Cook the hash browns 1st.
- The cook time will be longer than you think, so be patient
- Mozzarella is the best cheese for grilled cheese (in my opinion)
- The cheese will stick all of the inside of the grilled cheese together (yes please!)
Hashbrown Burger quick info:
About the recipe:
- Use the BBQ sauce both as a spread on one slice of bread and on top of the hash brown
- To ensure it doesn’t go soggy, wait for the butter to melt and bread to toast before flipping
- The toastie is best served at the time of cooking
- Add bacon for a non vegetarian breakfast grilled cheese (optional)
Your quick questions answered:
- Hash Brown Grilled Cheese is crispy, cheesy and delicious!
- The grilled cheese will take about 4 mins each side
- The recipe will make 2 grilled cheese
- You can use any bread you like
- This is an EASY recipe
Troubleshooting grilled cheese tips
If you are new to cooking grilled cheese on the stove keep in mind:
- It will take a few mins to start cooking (cheese melting)
- It will burn if you over cook it, so keep an eye on it (yes, it is suprisingly easy to burn a toastie!)
- Leave grilled cheese for 2 mins after cooking before cutting (easier and everything won’t squash)
WINTER BLUES RECIPES
- Meatball Tomato Soup
- Chicken Thighs in Creamy Garlic Wine Sauce
- Blue Cheese Mac and Cheese
- Beef Bean Pasta Bake
- Minestrone Soup
This recipe was inspired by a toastie feature in the Woolworths Fresh Magazine, they had a jaffle (also known as toasted sandwich) special and I was drooling all over those pages! Check them out here > Jaffle Ideas
Hash Brown Grilled Cheese
Hash Brown Grilled Cheese
- 4 slices rye sourdough
- 40 grams butter Note 1
- 2 hash browns
- 1 cup rocket leaves arugula in USA
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup bbq sauce Note 2
Hash Brown Grilled Cheese
- Cook hash browns for 3 minutes in a sandwich press
- Butter 4 slices of bread on one side only
- Place buttered side of bread onto skillet or fry pan
- Spread bbq sauce on non buttered side of bread
- Add rocket leaves and mozarella cheese
- Top with hash brown
- Drizzle bbq sauce over hash brown
- Place remaining bread slices on top
- Cook at medium heat for 4 mins until cheese melts before flipping and cooking other side
- Wait for 1-2 minutes to cut using a sharp knife Note 3
- Serve with dipping bowl of bbq sauce
- Note 1 spreadable butter is best as it spreads over the bread without tearing holes in it
- Note 2 I know BBQ sauce is not as popular in USA as it is in Australia. Although I don't know why as it is delicious! American friends, you might want to try this with Ketchup!
- Note 3 it is much easier to cut the grilled cheese after they have sat for 1 - 2 mins after cooking
- Note 4 see post contents for further dipping sauce suggestions for hash brown grilled cheese
How bad is a grilled cheese sandwich for you?
Well, my friends, it won’t kill you! All food in moderation I say.
For all of my recipes, please check out the nutrional information in the recipe card.
This grilled cheese is not bad for you, but it is a food that you shouldn’t eat every single day. I know you will want to do that, but it will taste better if is is a every now and then food.
If you after some tips to reduce the calories and saturated fat, you could use light cooking spray instead of the butter, share your grilled cheese with a friend (you won’t want to do that, trust me!) or use a lighter cheese variety.
For ALL of the Breakfast Recipes on Sweet Caramel Sunday click here >>> Breakfast Recipes
Another delicious Breakfast recipe that I think you will love is:
If you make this recipe and want to upload a photo (I would love to see) you can do that via the pin on my recipes board >> Sweet Caramel Sunday Recipes board >> Pinterest Sweet Caramel Sunday Recipes
P.S. You may have guessed that it is coming in to winter in Australia at the moment, hence my comfort food recipes coming at you!