Zucchini grilled cheese is going to be one of your all time favourite grilled cheese sandwich combinations. This raw zucchini sandwich is served with balsamic vinegar and is one of the most popular of our Zucchini recipes.
Gluten Free Zucchini Slice, Zucchini Parmesan Muffins, Zucchini Mini Muffins, Zucchini and Bacon Slice which of these zucchini recipes will be your favourite? Or try our Cheese and Onion Sandwich for a grilled cheese packed with flavour!
Calling all Zucchini Grilled Cheese lovers, you need to try this STAT! Like today, stop at the shops, grab the ingredients and make it tonight, it is THAT good.
I have to tell you I honestly never need to know where the best grilled cheese near me is ever again as I found it in my own kitchen!
What is a zucchini grilled cheese?
A grilled cheese with zucchini is the new kind of sandwich that you are going to love. I understand some skepticism here but you need to place your trust in me.
Some people call zucchini, courgettes and assimilate them with squash. They so do have a similar taste, which can be boring if you don't work some magic.
We do work our magic with this recipe as we turn bland into cheesy zucchini sensation, heck I even think we might need to open a grilled cheese restaurant!
Everyone loves a delicious cheesy, crispy toasted sandwich. For good reason. They are one of the most comfort based, homely, familiar foods that we can eat. Did you ever have a bad day and blame it on the grilled cheese? Nope, it would be the grilled cheese we need to turn our frown upside down. Add zucchini to that mix and season it right and you are onto a good thing.
You will be thinking about healthy grilled cheese no doubt when you hear the ingredients for this one. Have a look in the recipe card to find the zucchini grilled cheese nutrition facts, they will fill you in on these details.
How to make a zucchini grilled cheese:
To make a raw zucchini sandwich, you need to set out your ingredients, prep the vegetable and then put it all together.
The photo below shows you exactly what we will be putting into this vegetarian grilled cheese.
- dried onion
I think the best bread to use for grilled cheese is:
You can try any bread and it will work obviously but I like sourdough as it toasts very well and you can't go past the rounded oval shape. A regular wholemeal bread is nice too, but look for the bread that has seeds and nuts. This is for next level grill cheese.
This delish zucchini grilled cheese is easy and has so much going for it, you will want to make it every week!
One of the reasons why I love this recipe is that it uses one of my all time favourite ingredients - zucchini and places a modern spin on it using it in a grilled cheese sandwich!
When using raw zucchini in a sandwich
The most important thing when using raw zucchini in a sandwich is to season it well. Doing that right will ensure you are eating the bomb diggity of sandwiches and not a bland boring one.
By using the dried onion, salt and pepper, the zucchini really gets to shine. Every mouthful of your grilled cheese sandwich will be relished with delight, of that I can assure you!
Grilled cheese with a twist involves some lateral thinking. Sure, we could just plop the zucchini on the bread and toast it, but it won't have any flavour. The dried onion, salt and pepper are a winning combination to ultimate grilled cheese satisfaction.
When the zucchini is seasoned, you are ready to make your grilled cheese. Literally sprinkle the dried onion, salt and pepper onto the zucchini flesh, and toss slightly.
The photo below shows you how to make your grilled cheese zucchini sandwich.
The buttered sides of bread go face down into the pan, then simply add your cheese and zucchini. I love to fold the zucchini up into ribbons and pop a little bit more of the dried onion on top. You can see that in the photo. These ingredients work together so well.
If you were to stop at this stage, you would have delicious zucchini toast but trust me and keep going and your bomb diggity of sandwiches will emerge.
- this is a grilled cheese that won't go soggy!
- there is no mayo on these grilled cheese sandwiches
- you can freeze raw and toast to eat
- for a twist try yellow zucchini
How to cook grilled cheese zucchini sandwiches?
To cook these grilled cheese, we use the same method we did in our Hashbrown Grilled Cheese. This results in a quick and easy meal that could be eaten any time of the day.
We use a pan on the stove and turn the heat on so that the butter bubbles, the bread toasts and the cheese melts into utter deliciousness!
How to serve zucchini grilled cheese
To serve zucchini grilled cheese you need a secret ingredient that will knock the socks off anyone who tries it. That ingredient is balsamic vinegar. Dip the toasted edges of your grilled sandwich into the balsamic and the sourdough will absorb it. The flavour is intense and refined and so very good!
Grilled Cheese recipes
If you love grilled cheese as much as I do, you will probably want to make as many varieties and different flavour combinations as you can.
Here are a few ideas to wet your whistle:
Zucchini is such a versatile ingredient! Sometimes overlooked as being bland, it tastes like squash and has a high water content.
If this post is making you want to run out and buy some zucchini you will likely want to check out these recipes for further inspiration:
- Salmon Zucchini Salad (using the same technique to grate the zucchini)
- Gluten Free Zucchini Slice (perfectly reheats for lunches)
- Mushroom Zucchini Spaghetti (for those days when you don't want to carb overload)
Is there anything better than a stack of zucchini grilled cheese? With melted cheese oozing out calling your name, me thinks not!
Although, a little bowl of balsamic vinegar served with it to dip your crusts into might just top that!
Zucchini Grilled Cheese questions answered:
About the recipe:
- This recipe quick and easy
- This grilled cheese is vegetarian
- Season the zucchini with dried onion, salt and pepper
- The grilled cheese sandwich will be cooked in less than 10 mins
- These are raw zucchini sandwiches toasted to perfection
Your quick questions answered:
- You can use normal grated cheese
- Go for smaller zucchini (not big ones)
- Salt and pepper is key to seasoning before grilling
- Serve grilled cheese with balsamic vinegar for dipping
- This is an EASY recipe
Zucchini recipes from friends
If this recipe inspires you and I hope it does, you might want to cook with zucchini or make grilled cheese sandwiches more often.
Alex and Faye over at It's Not Complicated Recipes have done a healthy Char-Grilled Zucchini recipe using only 4 ingredients and a fabulous tasting greek yoghurt dressing. You can find it here:
- Chargrilled Zucchini Salad (what a great side dish!)
Cassie my fellow Brissie based blogger over at Cook It Real Good uses zucchini for making her tasty fritters. Not only are they quick and easy she says, but they help to pack some extra veggies in! Check them out here:
- Zucchini and Halloumi Fritters (how good do these look!!)
- Zucchini Fritters with Feta and Dill (feta and dill = yes please)
Sylvie bakes over at A Baking Journey, she loves zucchini recipes in both their sweet and savoury varieties. For some decadent indulgence you should have a look at these drool worthy recipes:
- Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins (chocolate and zucchini, omg yes!)
- Healthy Zucchini Muffins (who loves goats cheese!)
If winter is giving you the blues then cheer up with some recipes that are sure to stoke the fire and the belly!
- Slow Cooker Mushroom Chicken (easy slow cooker recipe)
- Chicken Thighs in Creamy Garlic Wine Sauce (one pot recipe)
- Blue Cheese Mac and Cheese (also a vegetarian recipe)
- Beef Bean Pasta Bake (family favourite)
- Minestrone Soup (packed with veggies)
- Meatball Tomato Soup (one of my favourites)
- Slow Cooker Lemon Garlic Chicken (use left over chicken in grilled cheese)
If you make this recipe and want to upload a photo (I would love to see) you can do that via the pin on my recipes board >> Sweet Caramel Sunday Recipes board >> Pinterest
Zucchini Grilled Cheese
Zucchini Grilled Cheese
- 2 zucchini Note 2
- ¾ cup grated mozzarella cheese Note 4
- 4 slices sourdough bread Note 1
- 1 tsp dried onion Note 3
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 20 grams butter spreadable
- 30 ml balsamic vinegar
Zucchini Grilled Cheese
- Cut either end of and grate the zucchini into long thin strips Note 5
- Season the zucchini strips with the dried onion, salt and pepper and lightly toss on plate
- Butter 1 side of all 4 slices of the sourdough
- Place one buttered side of bread down on a non stick cooking pan, repeat for the second sandwich
- Split the mozzarella cheese between the 2 sandwiches and top with seasoned zucchini
- Place the other remaining 2 slices of bread onto the zucchini
- Cook on the stove for 3-4 mins each side Note 6
- Serve with small dipping bowls of balsamic vinegar Note 7
- Note 1, try and get a sourdough that has some texture and variety. Rye is great, but doesn't have a lot of bite to it. The one I used for this is multigrain with nuts in it. It is not essential as regardless of the bread it is a taste sensation, however, it takes it to that next level.
- Note 2 Small to medium size are best. Large Zucchini have a higher water content and for this we need the outside grated strips of the zucchini and the small or medium ones are best for that.
- Note 3 the dried onion, sometimes referred to as onion flakes will be in the cooking area of the shops. It is an essential ingredient to the flavour of this grilled cheese, so trust me and don't skip it. It is not powder, it is small dried flakes of onion.
- Note 4 any type of grated cheese will be ok. The mozzarella will make it a bit more cheesy and stringy, but light or tasty are good too.
- Note 5 The technique to use when grating the zucchini is to rotate the vegetable around in your hand. Think of it like having 4 sides and do 1, followed by the next etc. Stop when you get to the core of the zucchini (the seeds etc), this bit doesn't get grated or added in as it is the wettest part of the vegetable.
- Note 6 keep an eye on the bread as you will see the butter start to bubble and melt. It needs to cook till it becomes toasty but will overcook quickly, so don't leave the kitchen.
- Note 7 Balsamic vinegar has an acidic taste and is often used to dip toasted breads with olive oil as an entree. The flavour really gives a kick to the zucchini grilled cheese. It is not spicy.
What goes good with grilled cheese?
If you are wondering if any zucchinis were hurt in the making of this grilled cheese then you will be relieved to know, nope, they all made it through safety.
One does have to make a recipe several times in the development of it, so yes, many grilled cheese sandwiches met their end!!
I did all of the above as I wanted you guys to have the recipe for the best zucchini grilled cheese on the block. Leave me a comment when you make it to tell me you agree 🙂
Who would have ever thought a raw zucchini sandwich would turn out the bomb diggity of zucchini grilled cheese, but seriously, IT IS!
If you have any questions, drop me a line, here and happy to help!
[penci_index title="Zucchini Recipes" cat="zucchini" numbers_posts="4" columns="4" display_title="yes" display_cat="no" display_date="yes" display_image="yes" image_size="square" cat_link="yes" cat_link_text="View All" /]