Cottage Cheese Dip is easy and healthy! Having tasty appetizer recipes up your sleeve so you can whip them out when you need is life changing. A cottage cheese with onion dip is one of those loved by all without hard work recipes!!
Guests will love appetizer recipes that they are served as soon as they arrive at your door. A few popular options are Caprese Bites, Melon and Prosciutto Skewers, Baked Brie with Garlic and our Spinach Cob Loaf. For festive occasions our cranberry brie ticks a lot of boxes. If olives are right up your alley try the Artichoke Olive Tapenade, Olive Tapenade or Sun-dried Tomato Tapenade.
What can I do with cottage cheese
Cottage cheese has a wide variety of uses and you will find it a versatile ingredient to cook with.
You can serve it with bread, fruit and veggie sticks or go to a little bit more effort and create a dip with it.
Pop it in a bowl and serve as a savory dip like we have done with basil on our grazing platter.
What can you dip in cottage cheese
Here are some options that work really well to dip in cottage cheese:
- carrot sticks
- cucumber slices
- cherry tomatoes
- mini bell peppers
You will see most of these on our platter with this recipe as healthy serving suggestions.
Can you blend cottage cheese to make it smooth
The texture of cottage cheese is chunky lumps. A lot of people prefer a smooth texture especially when using as a dip.
It is super easy to change this texture though and the best way to do that is using your food processor.
As part of the process, we put the cottage cheese, dried onion, garlic, horseradish, salt and pepper into the food processor. This creates a lovely, smooth texture.
We then add some diced cucumber back to the cheese for texture. It creates a smooth and chunky texture, with a lovely diversity.
So that you can see the difference between the lumpy texture and the smooth texture in this dip, I have covered this in our process shots (see below).
Ingredients for Cottage Cheese Dip
The photo below shows you the simple, easy to find ingredients you will need for your dip:
As you can see we have:
- cottage cheese
- dried onion
- pepper (optional, can be a little coarse)
How to make cottage cheese onion dip
The deliciousness of this dip is found by seasoning our cheese and packing lots of flavour into the dip. Cottage cheese has a bland taste, so we need to work with it to achieve a great tasting dip.
Onion is a great way to add flavour and as we use dried onion we can maintain that smooth cream like consistency.
The step by step photos below show you this process:
- dice your cucumber into small pieces (shown in photo 1)
- add your cheese, salt, pepper, onion, garlic and horseradish to a bowl (shown in photos 2-7)
- mix together (shown in photo 8)
- blitz to a smooth consistency in the food processor (shown in photos 9 and 10)
- add cucumber and stir to combine (shown in photos 11-12)
You will find that this is a simple recipe to follow. Focus on the 4 steps below which have a detailed explanation underneath to create your easy cold dip recipe:
Cottage Cheese Chives Dip
- the dried onion is a herb that is easy to cook with and provides an authentic onion flavour (photo 1)
- using your blender is a super fast way of combining your ingredients (photo 2)
- as well as creating a smooth texture which is perfect for cold dips! (photo 3)
- the diced cucumber gets added and stirred through the dip, providing diversity in textures and taste (photo 4)
Healthy cold cheese dip
You will find that people gravitate to the table as the healthy dip beckons them. The veggies create visual appeal that people will enjoy as the hard work (cutting them) is already done for them.
It is great to serve a variety of dipping sticks, like cucumber, carrot, cherry tomatoes as well as some hard crackers, people will enjoy a little bit of this and that.
This recipe is spot on when it comes to crowd pleasing. You can increase the amount of veggies depending on how many hungry mouths to feed and vary the type of veggies you use, as everyone will have their favourites!
Onion, garlic and cheese in a dip - yes please!!
Frequently asked questions
- we need 500 grams of cottage cheese
- the flavours are onion, garlic and horseradish
- this is a cold cheese dip
- the salt and pepper is optional
Quick questions answered
- you can serve the dip with a chunky texture but smooth is a more popular choice
- the dried onion gives great flavour and is so easy
- the garlic and horseradish are quite subtle in the dish as then blend very well
- this dip is best made on the day of serving (a couple of hrs ahead is ok)
- this recipe is not suitable for freezing
- This is an EASY recipe
Easy cold dip recipe pro tips
These additional tips are so that you can master this recipe from the 1st time you make it:
- remove from fridge and leave for approx 15 mins before serving (so not too cold)
- use ground pepper for an even smoother consistency above cracked pepper
- use a spatula to push the cheese down into the blade area of the food processor from the sides (power should be off)
- provide lots of choices when it comes to dipping sticks eg veggies (healthy), crackers (less so)
Dips are perfect appetizers, but you might need some more recipes to rock your table, like these ones:
- Grazing Platter (perfect for a crowd)
- Baked Brie with garlic (how good is garlic!!)
- Spinach Cob Loaf (dip in a bread bowl)
- Melon and Prosciutto Skewers (no bake appetizer)
- Cranberry Brie (a very festive option!!)
- Coconut Prawns (shrimp for my American friends)
- Mini Quiches 12 ways (both vego and non vego options)
- Chili Lime Chicken Wings (oven baked recipe)
- Baked Chicken Meatballs (with homemade satay sauce)
- Easy Crab Cakes (with dipping sauce)
It will be a hard choice on on what you grab 1st to dip into your cottage cheese, but with lots of options, you will have plenty of choice!
PIN and save the recipe for later!
Cottage Cheese Dip
- Medium sized dip bowl
- Large Platter
- Cheese knife
- 500 grams cottage cheese
- 1 tbsp dried onion Note 1
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic Note 2
- 1 tablespoon horseradish Note 3
- ½ cup cucumber
- ¼ cup chives
- salt and pepper to taste Note 4
- carrots Note 5
- cherry tomatoes
- Cut your cucumber into slices, then dice to create small pieces
- Combine cottage cheese, salt, pepper, onion, garlic, horseradish and stir to combine. Note 6
- Transfer cheese mixture to the bowl of a food processor and blitz to combine, scraping down the sides with a spatula as you go.
- Add diced cucumber and stir through.
- Transfer dip to a medium sized bowl.
- Serve with vegetable sticks and crackers.
- Note 1 this is 20 ml. As an Australian tablespoon is a bit bigger than an American one.
- Note 2 the texture of minced garlic is spot on for this recipe. I use garlic powder in cooking for recipes all the time, but not for this one.
- Note 3 this is the horseradish paste, usually found in the condiments section. It has a strong flavour especially noted when you smell it, however, it really mellows down with the cheese, so I encourage you to try it if you are in 2 minds.
- Note 4 you might prefer to use ground pepper as the texture of the cracked adds a little bit of crumb to the smooth cheese. You could also leave it out altogether. I prefer to add it and use cracked as I find the slight bumpyness with added flavour still quite enjoyable
- Note 5 our carrots, cucumber, cherry tomatoes and crackers are my favourite way to serve this dip. They add great colour and are so healthy they will fly off the plate. If you do the 'hard work' ie cutting and preparing them, the guests will find them so easy to put away.
- Note 6 this is the dip done as a chunky thick version, stop here if that is your preference or continue if you want a smooth texture.
I hope you have fun with this recipe and add as much colour to your platter as you like! It will definitely appeal to people if there is variety and that is SO easy to do with vegetable sticks.
This is a recipe that you will make again and again, it is super handy and doesn't take long to bring together!
If you are scratching your head about something, drop me a line below. Let's make your dip rock your table!
I've got you, you've got this cottage cheese dip and please let me know what you think in the comments below if you give it a go!