Chili Lime Chicken Wings with easy ingredients! The lime chicken wings marinade can be whipped up in a large jar and shaken to mix all of the ingredients together. These wings are perfect for bbqs or as appetizers when entertaining.
Simply pop the wings into a zip lock bag, pour in marinade, place in the fridge for 30 mins or overnight and then transfer to a baking dish.
Lime, chili, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, salt, pepper and chicken wings is all you need for the recipe. With fresh chili, sesame seeds and shallots to garnish
For a delicious and zesty combination why not serve these wings with our Watermelon Cucumber Feta Salad.
Whether you want to marinate these chicken wings overnight or serve them for an easy dinner this recipe results in delicious bake chicken wings.
What ingredients are in Chili Lime Chicken Wings?
The ingredients for this recipe are straightforward. For a reliable heat to your chili we use chili flakes. These means the wings are perfect each and every time you cook them.
If you have a look in the photo below, you will see the ingredients set out in preparation.
Our ingredients are:
- chicken wings
- chili flakes
- soy sauce
- chili (to serve)
- sesame seeds
Garnishing the wings when you are ready to serve them is a great way to add colour and texture!
How do you make Chili Lime Chicken Wings?
Making chili lime chicken wings is easy!
The 1st steps we take are to juice our lime and make our marinade. You might remember that for our Honey Soy Chicken Wings we did this in a large jar making the process super easy.
All you need to do is transfer each ingredient for the marinade into the jar, seal it and shake. I use a large jar so there is room to move.
If you have a look at the photo below, you will see the steps to get you started.
- juice the limes
- combine 7 ingredients for marinade
As we are using freshly squeezed lime juice for this recipe, we will get a fresh zesty taste to our wings!
Here is how to cook marinated chicken wings:
- Make your marinade
- Place your chicken wings in a zip lock bag
- Pour marinade over chicken wings
- Place sealed bag in fridge to marinade (30 mins)
- Preheat your oven (to make the cook time faster)
- Line a baking tray with non stick paper
- Transfer marinated wings into baking tray
- Pour remaining marinade over wings
- Bake in oven
- Grill under the broiler
For a chicken wings recipe for dinner that you can’t go wrong with whip these up and use the leftover cooked marinade as a chili lime sauce for the chicken!
This method is one that you can stick with when marinating different types of chicken. A great example is our Pimped Chicken Drumsticks. In that recipe we also marinate our Honey Soy Chicken Drumsticks in the same way with the zip lock bag method. It is such an easy, no mess technique!
Oven baked chicken wings
If you have a look in the photos below the steps we take to get these bad boys into the oven and sooner in our bellies are shown.
As you can see we:
- marinate chicken wings
- marinade chicken in the fridge
- oven bake
- grill to brown the skill
Oven baking the wings cooks them and then placing them under the grill or broiler dries and browns the skin for possibly the best chicken wing recipe in the world.
You can repeat these same steps for each different flavour combination of wings you come across. I love making Honey Garlic Chicken Wings as I am pretty sure the recipe came straight from heaven above. They are sticky, they are juicy and the chicken is tender and moist (ermagawd yum, why eat any other food ever again!!)
Lime Chicken Wings Marinade
For a super easy way to add extra deliciousness to our plate of wings, we keep the marinade from our baking tray and use it to drizzle over our wings. It is like an amazing chili lime sauce that you can measure the heat of! Talk about the best wing sauce in the world, yum! You can see it in the pics below.
Many times I have drizzled the chili lime sauce over wings and once you eat one of them, you will have to lick the sweet juices from each finger clean! Talk about finger licking good chicken!
These wings are perfect for entertaining. Throw them all on a plate with some fresh lime wedges and watch them fly off in no time. Talk about zesty freshness!
We have a totally different taste and texture to these wings than our Honey Mustard Chicken Wings, why not make a plate of each!
Freshly sliced chili on your plate will show guests what your wings are all about so chili fans can dive right in! The lime juice will mellow the heat so those not so sure, can get real sure, real quick!
What to cook with wings
Serve these wings with traditional chicken sides, think potatoes, greens, salad
If you want to turn these wings into a meal then here is some inspiration for how to do that.
Whether you serve them with a side or a salad, they will taste delicious. Why not do both and have chicken wings with salad and a side of potatoes (I am thinking yum to that idea!).
Recipes to serve with chicken wings
- Crispy Smashed Potatoes
- Potato Salad
- Oven Roasted Brussel Sprouts
- Shredded Brussel Sprouts Salad (everyone loves this one!)
- Garlic, lemon and roasted brussels sprouts like in our Slow Cooker Lemon Garlic Chicken
- Edamame Quinoa Salad
FAQs to cook your Chili Lime Wings
- Purchase whole wings and cut into 3 or purchase pre-cut wings
- The chili in the recipe has a little heat and spice but is not overpowering
- The wings will take 40 -45 mins to cook
- Then broil for between 10 – 15 mins
- You can freeze the marinated wings before serving
- The baking paper will make cleaning easier as the marinade is sticky and juicy!
Lime Chili Wings quick info:
About the recipe:
- the marinade uses the 7 ingredients shown around the jar in the photo above
- Place wings in zip lock bag when marinading
- The wings are best served hot
- The marinade will stretch to cover 1 kg of wings
- 800 grams is approximately 13 chicken wing pieces (not whole wings)
Your quick questions answered:
- Chili Lime chicken wings taste zesty and spicy
- The size of your baking dish won’t matter too much
- Serve the wings with left over marinade for a chili lime sauce
- This is a reasonably EASY recipe
Expert chili chicken wing cooking tips:
These are handy pointers to have in mind:
- lay all of the wings flat in the baking tray not on top of each other
- test the chicken is cooked with a skewer in the thickest part of one wing and see that the juices run clear, if still pink, continue to cook until clear
- place them spaced out, on a rack above a tray when grilling
- stay near the oven when broiling, this happens super fast!
I don’t think there has been or will be a day in my life when I didn’t love chicken wings! How about you?
They are sticky, juicy, tender and finger licking good. If you love this recipe, then check these chicken wings recipes for dinner and entertaining will be a hit:
- Honey Soy Chicken Wings
- Honey Garlic Chicken Wings
- Hot Wings with Blue Cheese dipping sauce
- Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken Wings
- Honey Mustard Chicken Wings (Slow Cooker)
- BBQ Chicken Wings
- Buffalo Chicken Wings
Sweet Chili Chicken Wings
- Baking dish
- 800 grams chicken wings Note 1
- 2 limes
- 1 tbsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1 tbs garlic minced
- 1 tbs ginger minced
- 3 limes for serving
- sesame seeds to garnish
- red chilli to garnish
- shallots to garnish
Chili Lime Chicken Wings
- Juice 2 limes
- In a large jar combine lime juice, chili, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, salt and pepper. Seal and shake to mix together Note 2
- Place your chicken wings in a large zip lock bag. Pour the marinade over the wings, seal and refrigerate for 30 mins Note 3
- Line a baking dish with grease proof paper, use tongs to transfer your wings into the base of the baking dish arranging so they each sit flat. Pour marinade over top
- Bake in oven for 40 mins. Test with skewer, continue to cook if the juice from near the bone is not clear (further 5 - 10 mins)
- Place cooked wings onto a baking rack above a lined baking tray. Broil for 10 mins for colour and to dry the skin out
- Serve with fresh lime wedges and garnish with chili, sesame seeds and shallots
- Note 1 800 grams is 13 chicken wings (different sizes will vary slightly)
- Note 2 if you don't have a large enough jar, you can use a jug and a fork, (stir vigorously).
- Note 3 think about it like this: 1) if starving, cook without marinating 2) if having a glass of wine 1st, marinade for 30 mins, 3) if have time, you can marinade overnight
- Note 4 the chilli flakes are a great way to add chili flavour in a reliable way. Fresh chili can sometimes be mild and sometimes be HOT, HOT, HOT. For that reason, over time this recipe works as it delivers taste and texture each time. There is no unexpected chili heat to catch you off guard. Using the freshly sliced chili as garnish helps to add the colour and texture with thin slices which deliver the chili factor in a non in your face way.
Seriously how good are chicken wings! Give me a plate of them any day over fried chicken. I will be sure to lick it clean before giving it back (my mum would be horrified at the thought of that, so let’s just go the analogy, not the visualisation!)
I kid you not when I say that many times I have stood at my kitchen bench having consumed a slice of a chili that was a little heated. There was one occasion that I didn’t have cows milk to dull the raging fire in my mouth, so I drank about a litre of almond milk instead. There I stood with my little sippy cup of milk, tears running down my face, with my taste buds literally on fire.
These chili lime wings won’t give you that unexpected harsh chili experience as they are reliable in their taste and intensity. I should warn you though you are going to want to eat them ALL!!!
P.S. C’mon baby light my chili chicken wings on fire, haha, but save your mouth from the raging fire with this repeat satisfaction recipe!