Watermelon Cucumber Feta Salad is a bright and colourful salad, perfect for summer days! Using everyday ingredients, this salad takes only minutes to prepare and works well at BBQs picnics and lunches.
If watermelon is your fav, try making the Fruit Platter which is easy to serve with Greek Yogurt.
Of the many things that you will come to know and love about this recipe, these points are the ones I think will appeal to you the most.
- Fresh vibrant ingredients: the combination of watermelon and feta is simply blissful. The cucumber adds another delicious texture.
- Balsamic is my go to when making watermelon salads. The juicy fresh watermelon pairs very well with the vinegar for a great taste sensation!
- Perfect pairings: this salad works so well as a side to chicken and grilled meats.
The photo below is to show you everything you need to make the recipe. For exact measurements scroll to the printable recipe card.
As you can see we have:
- Watermelon: fresh and juicy this is the perfect summer fruit. I recommend getting the seedless variety so no one has to stop and spit the seeds out as they go.
- Cucumber: my preference is to use Lebanese cucumbers. They grate very well and have a high water content, making their texture, slippery and delightful.
- Feta cheese: firm and tangy feta is such a great (and easy) salad ingredient which also requires minimal preparation. Simply chop and throw the pieces onto the plate.
- Balsamic vinegar: we use this as a very simple salad dressing. No need to combine a million difference ingredients. The balsamic brings its punchy best and will tick all of your boxes.
- mustard seeds
Top Tip: The mustard seeds are a fun and quick way to pop a bit of texture on the salad, making for a great tasty, visually appealing salad!
Here are the step by step photos and instructions to make the salad. Start by preparing your watermelon, you will need a melon baller (unless you want to slice/cub your melon).
- Make your melon balls (Photo 1)
- Grate to cucumber ribbons (Photo 2)
- Cut the leftover cucumbers into small slices (Photo 3)
- Use a knife to cut the feta cheese into small cube pieces or a fork to crumble it (Photo 4)
How to make Watermelon Cucumber Salad
To make the salad, spoon the watermelon into balls, grate the cucumber into ribbons and cut the feta cheese into small cubes.
Once you have prepared your salad, all we need to do is bring it together. A large platter is a good way to do this as it looks impressive, but is actually very easy to do.
Let's have a look at those steps below, we start by plating a small bowl of balsamic vinegar.
- Place our cucumber ribbons onto the serving platter (Photo 5)
- Top with your sliced cucumber pieces (Photo 6)
- Add your watermelon balls (Photo 7)
- Top with your cubed feta pieces (Photo 8)
- Sprinkle some toasted black mustard seeds on top (optional)
Frequently Asked Questions
Does watermelon taste like cucumber?
Watermelon, cucumber, feta cheese and balsamic. This recipe is that simple.
Some people think watermelon is similar to cucumber, but they taste very different to each other! The most common similarity is that they have both got a wet, soft texture.
Watermelon is so versatile, cut it into chunks, slices or have a little fun and make melon balls out of it.
What goes well with watermelon salad?
Feta cheese and watermelon go together like cheese and a cracker.
They compliment each other and are flavours and that are simple and tasty.
Substitutions and Variations
As you know, I like to give you a couple of options so that there is room to switch things up a little according to your personal preferences. Try any of the following ideas.
- Substitute haloumi or goats cheese for the feta.
- Add lemon juice, salt, sugar, honey, coconut, spice it up and let it rock your table!!
There a few things that will make this salad even easier:
- after you have prepped all of your ingredients, you can cover them and place them in the fridge until you are ready to serve
- some recipes for melon balls will recommend using a teaspoon, I disagree! Even the melon baller takes a few goes to get the hang off. Either make balls or slices.
- microwave the mustard seeds for 20 seconds before sprinkling on top
- crumble your feta cheese with a fork for a super quick technique or cut for cube pieces
- save dressing the salad will you are eating it
Keep your salad super simple and serve it like these photos. Everyone will get a delicious combination of sweet and savory, juicy and delicious. Talk about THE BEST WATERMELON SALAD EVER!!
You can mix the balsamic with honey for a slightly thicker sweeter dressing!
There literally is a salad for every occasion, here are some salad recipes for further inspiration:
This watermelon cucumber feta salad can be front and centre on your table. It will attract people because of its colour and simplicity. Throw some black mustard seeds on top and you have got yourself a show stopper!
All of my salad recipes are in the one location. This one is all about summer colour my friends!
PIN and save this recipe for later!
Watermelon Cucumber Feta Salad
- Vegetable peeler
- Melon Baller
- ¼ watermelon
- 3 lebanese cucumbers
- 250 grams feta cheese
- ⅓ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup black mustard seeds
- Use a vegetable peeler to make ribbons of cucumber, rotating it around to use all sides of it Note 1
- The use a knife to finely slice the rest of the cucumber into thin pieces, set aside Note 2
- Use a melon baller to make balls out of the watermelon, set aside when done
- Use a knife to cut the feta cheese into small cubes
- Place the mustard seeds in a small heat proof bowl and heat in the microwave for 30 seconds
- Begin plating by adding a small serving bowl of balsamic vinegar to a platter Note 4
- Add cucumber ribbons and slices
- Pop watermelon pieces on top of cucumber, followed by cubes of feta.
- Sprinkle black mustard seeds over salad to serve
- Note 1 Think about the cucumber being a rectangle in shape having 4 long sides. You want to rotate the cucumber as you grate it into longs strips rotating to all 4 sides of the rectangle as you go. Stop on each side when you get to the core.
- Note 2 the cucumber will be quite wet. You can use paper towel to absorb some of this, or just shake the cucumber ribbons over the sink when ready to plate.
- Note 3 it is better to let people dress their own salad using a spoon as they go. The balsamic is a strong flavour and this allows them to suit their particular taste. The other thing is that it won't stay fresh with the vinegar over it in a nice visual way and too much of it will pool in the bottom of the salad dish making everything soggy. So save the dressing till serving time.
Please note recipe published 31st October 2019, updated July 2022