Using a similar technique to prep our veggies as we did in both our Cucumber Salad recipe and our Salmon Zucchini Salad we whip up a fresh and zesty delicious salad. Or for a more hearty festive salad, try our Christmas Salad recipe.
DOES WATERMELON TASTE LIKE CUCUMBER?
Watermelon, cucumber, feta cheese and balsamic. This recipe is that simple.
Some people think watermelon is similar to cucumber, but they taste very different to each other! The most common similarity is that they have both got a wet, soft texture.
Perfect for summer, entertaining, BBQ’s, dinner on a hot night, the flavour is fresh and the salad bright just like our Melon and Prosciutto Skewers.
Watermelon is so versatile, cut it into chunks, slices or have a little fun and make melon balls out of it.
This is a vegetarian recipe that you can prepare ahead of time and dress as you eat.
BEST WATERMELON SALAD
For the best watermelon salad you need to be thinking fresh and served with crumbed feta cheese or cubed feta cheese. These 2 ingredients just work together, SO well.
Watermelon salad, balsamic dressing is heaven sent!
You can make it zesty with mint, healthy adding other fruits, savoury with a balsamic dressing and add a dairy component with cheese.
WATERMELON CUCUMBER FETA SALAD INGREDIENTS
I have kept the ingredients simple for this salad. Think super quick and easy recipe that can literally be thrown together!
Everything you need is set out and labelled below, so you can easily follow.
We make cucumber ribbons, use the leftovers to finely slice the cucumber, make watermelon balls and cube our feta. You can crumble your feta if you like also, you don’t have to stick exactly to script for this recipe to work.
As you can see we have:
- feta cheese
- balsamic vinegar
- mustard seeds
Balsamic is my go to when making watermelon salads. The juicy fresh watermelon pairs very well with the vinegar for a great taste sensation!
The mustard seeds are a fun and quick way to pop a bit of texture on the salad, making for a great tasty, visually appealing salad!
WHAT GOES WELL WITH WATERMELON SALAD
Feta cheese and watermelon go together like cheese and a cracker.
They compliment each other and are flavours and that are simple and tasty.
You have the option of substituting haloumi or goats cheese for the feta, add lemon juice, salt, sugar, honey, coconut, spice it up and let it rock your table!!
HOW DO YOU MAKE WATERMELON SALAD?
Making a Watermelon Salad is easy!
There are 4 steps to preparing your salad and 4 steps to plating you salad
Here are the steps and photos on how to do it.
Start by preparing your watermelon, you will need a melon baller (unless you want to slice/cub your melon).
- make your melon balls (shown in photo 1)
- use a grater to create cucumber ribbons (shown in photo 2)
- cut the leftover cucumbers into small slices (shown in photo 3)
- use a knife to cut the feta cheese into small cube pieces or a fork to crumble it (shown in photo 4)
Once you have prepared your salad, all we need to do is bring it together.
A large platter is a good way to do this as it looks impressive, but is actually very easy to do.
Let’s have a look at those steps below, we start by plating a small bowl of balsamic vinegar:
- place our cucumber ribbons both flat on the plate and in twirls (shown in photo 5)
- top with your sliced cucumber pieces (shown in photo 6)
- add your watermelon balls (shown in photo 7)
- top with your cubed feta pieces (shown in photo 8)
- sprinkle some toasted black mustard seeds on top (optional)
Watermelon Salad quick info:
About the recipe:
- a melon baller is needed for perfect round melon balls
- crumble or cue your feta
- this is a vegetarian recipe
- balsamic should be on the plate but let people serve themselves, it is s strong flavour
FAQs about Watermelon Salad
- we need 1/4 cut of watermelon
- the whole cucumber is used, through 2 different techniques
- blaack mustard seeds are in the spices section of the store
- the salad is best made and eaten on the same day
Your quick questions answered:
- prep the fruit and veggies 1 by 1
- use a grate that allows you to grate long ribbons
- you don’t need to rinse the brine off the feta cheese
- plate the salad with tongs for easy serving
- This is an EASY recipe
There a few things that will make this salad even easier:
- after you have prepped all of your ingredients, you can cover them and place them in the fridge until you are ready to serve
- some recipes for melon balls will recommend using a teaspoon, I disagree! Even the melon baller takes a few goes to get the hang off. Either make balls or slices.
- microwave the mustard seeds for 20 seconds before sprinkling on top
- crumble your feta cheese with a fork for a super quick technique or cut for cube pieces
- save dressing the salad will you are eating it
There literally is a salad for every occasion, here are some salad recipes for further inspiration:
- Thanksgiving Salad (goes very well with turkey)
- Christmas Salad (perfect on the table with your ham)
- Crispy Chicken BLT Salad (this is a meal in one!)
- Sweet Potato Quinoa Salad
- Bacon and Egg Quinoa Salad (perfect for a Sunday brunch!)
This watermelon cucumber feta salad can be front and centre on your table. It will attract people because of its colour and simplicity. Throw some black mustard seeds on top and you have got yourself a show stopper!
Keep your salad super simple and serve it like these photos. Everyone will get a delicious combination of sweet and savory, juicy and delicious. Talk about THE BEST WATERMELON SALAD EVER!!
You can mix the balsamic with honey for a slightly thicker sweeter dressing!
Watermelon Cucumber Feta Salad
- Vegetable peeler
- Melon Baller
Watermelon Cucumber Feta Salad
- 1/4 watermelon
- 3 lebanese cucumbers
- 250 grams feta cheese
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup black mustard seeds
Watermelon Cucumber Feta Salad
- Use a vegetable peeler to make ribbons of cucumber, rotating it around to use all sides of it Note 1
- The use a knife to finely slice the rest of the cucumber into thin pieces, set aside Note 2
- Use a melon baller to make balls out of the watermelon, set aside when done
- Use a knife to cut the feta cheese into small cubes
- Place the mustard seeds in a small heat proof bowl and heat in the microwave for 30 seconds
- Begin plating by adding a small serving bowl of balsamic vinegar to a platter Note 4
- Add cucumber ribbons and slices
- Pop watermelon pieces on top of cucumber, followed by cubes of feta.
- Sprinkle black mustard seeds over salad to serve
- Note 1 Think about the cucumber being a rectangle in shape having 4 long sides. You want to rotate the cucumber as you grate it into longs strips rotating to all 4 sides of the rectangle as you go. Stop on each side when you get to the core.
- Note 2 the cucumber will be quite wet. You can use paper towel to absorb some of this, or just shake the cucumber ribbons over the sink when ready to plate.
- Note 3 it is better to let people dress their own salad using a spoon as they go. The balsamic is a strong flavour and this allows them to suit their particular taste. The other thing is that it won't stay fresh with the vinegar over it in a nice visual way and too much of it will pool in the bottom of the salad dish making everything soggy. So save the dressing till serving time.
Please note this recipe was published on 31st October 2019
I want you to be able to make this salad and LOVE IT! If you have any questions, don’t be afraid to shout out to me. Your watermelon cucumber feta salad will rock and if you take it as your plate for a gathering, I am sure it will be the bomb diggity BEST EVER watermelon salad.
Fresh, zesty, lively and juicy, what more could you want in a salad!
P.S. You are going to want to use your melon baller to make balls of everything now (sorry!) Haha but it is fun so you can forgive me!
If healthy salad recipes are your thing, then here are some more to float your boat: