Boiled Egg Salad with greens is the most versatile salad recipe ever! A unique egg salad, you can bulk it up or trim it down. Take it to a picnic, make it ahead of time and serve it to a crowd!
Make this salad vegetarian by omiting the speck or add extra protein like chicken or tuna!
Quinoa Salads are my usual favourites as they have a bit of bulk to them. A warm salad like the Bacon and Egg Quinoa Salad can be just what the belly rumbles for! Other times a hearty Crispy Chicken BLT Salad does the trick!
- What does egg salad go with
- Hard Boiled Eggs for Salad
- How to cook Hard Boiled Eggs
- Ingredients needed
- Step by step method for Salad with Egg on top
- Best Green Salad for Potluck
- Can this salad be made ahead of time?
- Unique Egg Salad recipe
- Frequently asked questions
- Unique Egg Salad pro tips
- 📖 Recipe
What does egg salad go with
A boiled egg salad goes with everything! From chicken to fish, brunch on a Sunday or packed for lunch, here are some ways to serve your egg salad:
- as a meal in one with the creamy Mustard Yoghurt drizzle
- at at picnic (can make it ahead and serve it cold)
- with pork
- as a side dish
- pot lucks
- work conferences
- lunch boxes
Hard Boiled Eggs for Salad
Hard Boiled Eggs are THE BEST as they are so HEALTHY, easy to cook and keep well in the fridge for a few days!
How to cook Hard Boiled Eggs
There are a couple of different ways to cook your eggs for this salad. and you can choose whichever method suits you best.
On the stove top eggs usually take 6 mins to cook once the water is boiling.
We can also cook them In the Instant Pot like we did for our Instant Pot Deviled Eggs.
Mayonaise is traditionally used in egg salad, but we use Greek Yoghurt as a healthy alternative!
For this recipe, I boiled the eggs in my Instant Pot but I have written the recipe for both methods as once they are cooked, all of the steps are exactly the same!
In case you are a soft boiled egg fan, then cook your eggs for 3 mins, ie half the cook time of hard boiled eggs!
The ingredients that you need to make this recipe are set out and labelled in the photo below. They are easy to find and all available at your local store!
As you can see we need:
- green beans
- spinach leaves
- cherry tomatoes
- salt (used when boiling the beans)
- pepper (to top our drizzle)
- Greek Yoghurt (for the salad dressing)
- mustard (also for the salad dressing)
- olive oil (to lightly fry the speck)
Step by step method for Salad with Egg on top
The steps you need to follow are shown in the photos below. They are all easy to do!
- prep the beans by cutting the ends off and slicing them in halves (photo 1)
- add the beans to a heatproof bowl (photo 2)
- sprinkle your salt over the beans (photo 3)
- pour boiling water over the beans and let sit for 3-4 mins (photo 4)
When boiling green beans I always use the above method. I tried it years ago when boiling water in a saucepan on the stove seemed too much of an effort and the best thing is the beans taste amazing. Crunchy and bite - able, not soggy!
- use a knife to cut the cucumber into thin slices (shown in photo 5)
- remove the rind and cut the speck into chunky pieces shown in photo 6)
- slice the cherry tomatotes in half (shown in photo 7)
- boil eggs for 6 mins and then immediately place in a cold water bath (shown in photo 8)
This recipe uses 8 eggs, when cut in halve, it makes 16 halves for the salad. You can make more or less if you wish!
- use the oil to pan fry the speck for 4-5 mins, the drain to absorb the excess oil (shown in photo 9)
- combine Greek Yoghurt (shown in photo 10)
- Djion mustard (shown in photo 11)
- in a small bowl and stir together till consistently mixed (shown in photo 12)
- top your Mustard Yoghurt drizzle with a little cracked pepper (shown in photo 13)
- peel your eggs then cut in half for serving (shown in photo 14)
Best Green Salad for Potluck
Now that our salad ingredients are prepped and ready, let's look at how we present our salad with eggs on top!
- use a platter to serve and start with a layer of spinach leaves (shown in photo 15)
- place the boiled green beans on top (shown in photo 16)
- add a layer of cooked speck and tomatoes (shown in photo 17)
- place the boiled eggs on top of the salad (shown in photo 18)
Can this salad be made ahead of time?
Yes! This salad can be made ahead off time and will keep in the fridge for at least 3 days.
Keep the dressing in a seperate bowl and use when serving to avoid any soggy spinach leaves!
Unique Egg Salad recipe
This salad is extremely versatile.
If you want to make it vegetarian, you can remove the speck.
If you want to bulk it up you can add quinoa or rice.
Add rocket and spinch leaves for extra leafy greens.
Use mini roma, cherry or on the vine tomatoes!
The dressing for our salad is made from a combination of Greek Yoghurt and Mustard. It is the same one we use for our Oven Roasted Potatoes.
The salad dressing is thick and good for spooning onto our eggs.
If you want you can also use the food processor to blend the yoghurt and mustard resulting in a thinner texture like in our Edamame Quinoa Salad.
Frequently asked questions
- we use 8 eggs and get 16 boiled egg halves
- pressure cook the eggs for 6 mins with quick release (Instant Pot)
- boiled the eggs in a saucepan for 6 mins (stove top)
- Djion mustard is used with the yoghurt for the dressing
- use the stove to boil the eggs if you don't have an Instant Pot (then follow as normal)
- my Instant Pot is a 8 litre (8 quart)
- 2 cups of water are poured into the pot to start (1 cup if using smaller Instant Pot)
- we use the trivet and sit the eggs on top
- there is no need to add salt to the water when boiling the eggs
- bulk up the salad with chicken, fish or another protein
- make this a vegetarian recipe by omiting the speck
- This is an EASY recipe
Unique Egg Salad pro tips
These additional tips are so that you can master this recipe from the 1st time you make it:
- this salad will stay fresh in the fridge for days (keep the dressing seperate)
- Instant Pot hard boiled eggs: the quick release of pressure is essential to stop the eggs from over cooking
- For both cooking methods, the cold water bath stops the eggs from cooking, you can run under the tap also
- you can make the eggs in advance and store them in the fridge a couple of hours ahead
- you can use the saute mode on the Instant Pot to fry the speck, or the Stove Top
Hard boiled eggs, are healthy, easy to make and delicious! This is a salad that will be loved by all!
This recipe will stay FRESH in the fridge, but is not suitable for freezing. The speck can be cooked from frozen, thawed or fresh!
There literally is a salad for every occasion, here are some recipes for further inspiration:
- Watermelon Cucumber Feta Salad
- Thanksgiving Salad (goes very well with turkey)
- Christmas Salad (perfect on the table with your ham)
- Crispy Chicken BLT Salad (this is a meal in one!)
- Sweet Potato Quinoa Salad
- Bacon and Egg Quinoa Salad (perfect for a Sunday brunch!)
- Sardine Salad
Use your Instant Pot to make these recipes:
- Instant Pot Penne Pasta
- Instant Pot Spaghetti Bolognese
- Pressure Cooker Bacon
- Instant Pot Fudge
- Instant Pot Deviled Eggs
Pin and save this recipe for later!
Boiled Egg Salad
- Serving platter
- Instant Pot (or saucepan)
- Saucepan (or Instant pot)
Boiled Egg Salad
- 8 eggs free range
- 2 cups spinach leaves
- 500 grams green beans Note 1
- 1 continental cucumber
- 250 grams cherry tomatoes
- 350 grams speck Note 2
Mustard Yoghurt Drizzle
- ½ cup Greek Yoghurt Note 3
- 2 tbs Djion Mustard
- 1 tsp cracked pepper
Boiled Egg Salad
- Prepare your green beans by using a knife to cut each end off then cut each bean in half.
- Add your beans to a heat proof bowl, sprinkle with the salt, then pour boiling water over to cover them. Allow to sit like this for 3 -4 mins then drain and set aside.
- Use a knife to slice the cucumber into thin pieces
- Remove the rind from the speck and cut into chunky pieces
- USe a knife to cut the tomatoes in half
- Boil your eggs for 6 mins (either in the Instant Pot or the Stove top). Use kitchen tongs to transfer to a cold water bath immediately after cooking.
- Add the oil to a fry plan and cook speck for 4-5 mins at a medium-low heat until crispy. Transfer to a bowl and use paper towel to absorb any excess oil
- Combine Greek Yoghurt and Mustard in a small bowl and stir to mix together, season with cracked black pepper
- Peel eggs and cut in half
- Start to layer your ingredients on a serving platter, starting with the spinach, then beans, followed by tomatoes and cooked speck.
- Top the salad with the hard boiled egg halves
- Serve with Mustard Yoghurt drizzle
Mustard Yoghurt Drizzle
- Combine low fat Greek Yoghurt and Djion mustard in a small bowl and use a spoon to stir until consistently mixed together.
- Top with cracked pepper
- Note 1 Cooking the green beans by pouring boiling water over them and letting them sit is SO EASY. A tiny bit of salt and you are good to go. The beans stay nice and crunchy this way.
- Note 2 Speck is a smoked pork product and is very similar to bacon but a little bit chunkier and chewier. You can find it in the deli section or in some cold meat sections of the supermarket. You can use bacon also if you prefer.
- Note 3 Using Greek Yoghurt is my all time favourite way to make a dressing for salad. It gives you a thick and creamy dressing without using cream or mayo! If you want the dressing to be thick and dollop like, simply stir together. If you want it to be thinner and drizzle like use a blender or food processor to combine.
Salad for today and tomorrow!
Salads can be as simple or as complex as you like. This one is simple and goes with everything!
If you are going to a pot luck, you are in luck as this is the perfect salad to take (haha!). It stays fresh and healthy and there is no wilting.
I've got you covered for a unique egg salad, one that you can throw your boiled eggs directly on top.
You are sorted for picnics and I am sure you will add or subtract from this to suit the occassion.
I would love to hear your feedback in the comments below.