Instant Pot Spaghetti Bolognese is an all in one spaghetti bolognese that is easy to make! Meaty and saucy with rich tomato, this bolognese pasta recipe is next level DELICIOUS!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases (Disclosure)
Pasta recipes make the world a better place sometimes! Our Slow Cooker Spaghetti Bolognese is deliciously easy. Pasta bake recipes like our Ground Beef Casserole, make for a hearty dinner whereas our Blue Cheese Mac and Cheese is a creamy dreamy pasta that is vegetarian like our Tomato Mac and Cheese. Add a little bacon tonight with the Bacon Pesto Pasta!
Instant pot recipes reduce traditional cooking time so we can take our favourite recipes and speed up the cooking process!
Pressure cooking pasta takes minutes to do, allowing for easy one pot pasta dishes!
How do you cook Spaghetti Bolognese in the Instant Pot?
To cook Spaghetti Bolognese in the Instant Pot, we brown the mince for our beef sauce and then pressure cook the rest of the ingredients all at the same time.
Cooking pasta in the Instant pot is a breeze once you know how!
Can I cook Spaghetti in my Pressure Cooker?
And you are going to want to.
As it tastes SERIOUSLY AMAZING!!!
The Instant pot pasta water ratio is always so that the pasta is fully submerged in liquid
Instant Pot Spaghetti Bolognese ingredients
The ingredients for this recipe are shown in the photo below, you can refer to this on your phone at the shops, so you get everything you need in 1 go!
As you can see we need:
- dried spaghetti
- beef mince (ground beef)
- tomato passtata
- diced tomatoes
- tomato paste
- condensed tomato soup
- diced carrot
- sliced mushrooms
- beef stock
- dried onion
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
I love using minced garlic and dried onion as they save so much time! The only 'hard work' step above is dicing your carrots and even that only takes seconds to do! You can purchase sliced mushrooms to save time too!
Pressure Cooker Spaghetti Bolognese
Instant Pot recipes like this are SO EASY as it let's us make dinner in one pot. Cooking Spaghetti Bolognese is a breeze in the Instant Pot once you know how.
As we pressure cook the recipe it tastes a lot less time than if we were cooking it traditionally on the stove top.
Step by Step Instant Pot Spaghetti Bolognese
- add olive oil (photo 1)
- beef mince (ground beef) (photo 2)
- garlic (photo 3)
- dried onion (photo 4)
- add Italian herbs, salt and pepper (shown in photos 5-6)
- cook the beef mince till it is brown (shown in photo 7)
- then use a non stratch utensil to deglaze the pot (shown in photo 8)
The beef stock helps in the deglazing process. We want all bits of meat gently scrapped off the pot base to avoid a burn error as we are pressure cooking the dish.
- add beef stock (shown in photo 9)
- tomato passata (shown in photo 10)
- tomato soup (shown in photo 11)
- diced carrot (shown in photo 12)
Your home will be smelling AMAZING right about now!!
- add mushrooms (photo 13)
- break dried spaghetti in half and place on top (photo 14)
- if the pasta is not submerged, use the passata bottle to add a little water until it is covered (photo 15)
- pour diced tomatoes on top (photo 16)
It is important to note that we are not stirring during the above steps as we need the layering to assist in the pressure cooking process.
- add tomato paste (photo 17)
- pressure cook for 8 mins (photo 18)
- quick release to depressurize pot (photo 19)
- spaghetti bolognese is cooked (photo 20)
Almost there, but we are not quite finished yet as we have a couple more step to ensuring the deliciousness of the dish!!
Just like in our Instant Pot Penne Pasta recipe, we now have some stirring to do!
- start stirring (photo 21)
- stir, stir, stir (photo 22)*sometimes at this point, it is spot on perfect OR do the next 2 steps:
- press saute mode on pot (photo 23)
- allow sauce to reduce and thicken (photo 24)
Mamma mia! Are you starving now? All we need is garlic bread (or not) and we are GOOD TO EAT!!
I love topping the pasta with fresh parsley, cracked pepper and a wee bit of cheese (jeans need to still fit, so just a little!)
If pasta is your favourite thing, then here is some recipes you need to get cooking:
- Ground Beef Casserole
- Tomato Mac and Cheese
- Blue Cheese Mac and Cheese
- Tuna Spaghetti
- Tomato Spaghetti
- Smoked Salmon Spaghetti
I LOVE sharing BEFORE and AFTER the Instant Pot has done its thing as I think it helps to 'get it!'
Instant Pot Spaghetti Bolognese quick info:
About the recipe:
- this is a beef mince based bolognese (ground beef)
- we use 500 grams uncooked dried spaghetti
- sliced mushrooms are easy or buy cup mushrooms and slice
- this is an easy recipe!
FAQs about cooking Spaghetti Bolognese in the Instant Pot
- we only use a teaspoon of oil to cook the beef mince
- the layering of ingredients is IMPORTANT to ensure no BURN ERROR
- don't stir the ingredients after you have deglazed your pot till it is all COOKED
- it takes 8 mins of pressure cooking to make this recipe
- the Instant pot will automatically heat before it starts to pressure cook (approx 10 mins)
- the saute mode allows the sauce to thicken and keep the dish warm
- this is a freezer friendly recipe
- also a family friendly recipe
- this is an EASY recipe
Instant Pot Spaghetti Bolognese Pro tips:
These additional tips are so that you can master pasta in your instant pot from the 1st time you cook it:
- it is really important to deglaze the pot as this will reduce the chance of a burn error
- Follow the instructions closely to ensure a good distribution of ingredients in layers
- ensure that the spaghetti is not sticking up above the liquid level (poke it down gently)
- once the pot has cooked the recipe and you remove the lid, stir, stir, stir!
- press the saute function and allow the dish to sit at a stable heat
- the sauce will thicken after you have finished cooking, wait patiently as it is magical!
To freeze this recipe, simply wait until it is cool, then portion out into zip lock bags. To reheat simply defrost and then microwave for 3-5 mins or until warmed through!
Serve your Spag Bol with fresh parsley, cracked pepper, parmesan cheese and a sneaky glass of red! I am not one to put the wine into the sauce (never been my thing), but if you want to pop a bit in there go for it (at the water step make it water and wine).
Use your Instant Pot to make these recipes:
Purchase your own instant pot right here:
Instant Pot Spaghetti Bolognese
- Instant Pot (Note 1)
Instant Pot Spaghetti Bolognese
- 1 tsp olive oil Note 2
- 500 grams beef mince Note 3
- 1 tbsp garlic minced Note 4
- 1 tbsp dried onion Note 5
- 1 tbs Italian herbs Note 6
- salt and pepper to taste
- 500 grams dried spaghetti
- 700 grams tomato passata Note 7
- 400 grams condensed tomato soup
- 140 grams tomato paste Note 8
- 400 grams diced tomatoes Note 9
- 1 litre beef stock
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- parsley to garnish
- parmesan cheese to serve
Instant Pot Spaghetti Bolognese
- Press the saute mode on your Instant Pot (medium).
- Add olive oil, beef mince, garlic, dried onion, Italian herbs, salt and pepper, cook until the mince is browned.
- Use the beef stock to deglaze the bottom of the pot, with a wooden spoon scraping off any stuck beef mince. Note 10
- Then pour the rest of the stock into the pot (don't stir, rather, start layering)
- For the next few ingredients, add these one by one and don't stir them. The passata, the condensed tomato soup, the carrots, mushrooms and spaghetti. Break this in half and layer as you go.
- Pour the diced tomatoes on top of the dried spaghetti. Spoon the tomato paste on top.
- If there is any pasta sticking up or not covered liquid fill the passata bottle with water and pour this in until the pasta is covered. If 1 or 2 pieces stick up, gently push them into the pot.
- Set the Instant Pot to pressure cook for 8 mins and allow it to pressurize automatically.
- Once the timer goes off quick release to reduce the pressure (you can natural release at this point too if you want). Note 11
- Use your spoon to stir the Spaghetti Bolognese, stir, stir and stir. It will thicken as you go. Finish here if thick enough or follow next step to reduce and thicken the sauce.
- Set the Instant Pot to saute and continue to stir occasionally until the sauce reduces and thickens Note 12
- Garnish with fresh parsley, cracked pepper and parmesan cheese.
- Note 1 My Instant Pot is the 8 litre (8 quart) Duo Novo
- Note 2 You will be surprised how little oil you need, just a touch (teaspoon) is plenty!
- Note 3 Beef mince and ground beef are the same thing, just called different names depending on where you are
- Note 4 I always have minced garlic in a jar in the fridge. I find it so much easier and faster to use than peeling and slicing garlic (time and place for it, but not necessary for this dish).
- Note 5 Spices aisle of supermarket and life changing!!
- Note 6 If you don't have this, you can use Oregano (dried) instead. No need to rush out and buy this one ingredient. If you want to you can pop a couple of bay leaves in at this point too.
- Note 7 Hang onto the empty bottle of passata as we will need a little water, so pour it in here and then into pot so we also get any leftover passata in the bottle.
- Note 8 This is simply 1 x small tub you get in the 2 pack of tomato paste
- Note 9 Don't stir, I know you want to, but we need them to not go down the bottom and stick!! They need to stay up the top for now.
- Note 10 This means, flick off all of the stuff that may have got stuck when you were cooking the beef mince and use the stock to help you do that. Otherwise a burn error can occur and you want to avoid that.
- Note 11 if you opt for natural release (automatic slow release of pressure by pot), that is fine as we have enough liquid for the dish to bubble away at this point.
- Note 12 You won't be able to stir only occasionally as you will be hovering face first staring at your spaghetti thinking 'omg this is the best thing since sliced bread I can't believe how quick and easy this is as well as how amazing your Instant Pot is!!'
This spag bowl is your new best friend. Comforting, full of flavour, easy and all done in the one pot!
Take comfort food to next level AMAZING and give this a go.
I wanted this recipe to give you home, comfort, friendship and cheesey deliciousness, you will have to let me know if works for you.
Please give me a shout if you have questions or make the recipe as I would love to hear your feedback.
Spag bowl - you, me, we got this x