Easy Instant Pot Spaghetti with Jar Sauce is fuss free and gets dinner on the table in record speed! Grab your favorite spaghetti sauce and let's get to it!
When you 1st get an Instant Pot, you will want to start with the basics and I show you how in my Instant Pot Spaghetti Noodles recipe.
To cook simple spaghetti in an Instant Pot we add the dried spaghetti to the inner pot, pour water over to cover, add a pinch of salt and seal the lid.
Why does Spaghetti Sauce burn in Instant Pot?
The reason why spaghetti sauce (and other sauces) can burn in the Instant Pot is due to the manner in which the ingredients are added to the pot.
The burn error is something every Instant Pot Cook will come across at times, so I am going to take you back to basics to begin with.
This recipe is about pressure cooking dried spaghetti and then adding your favourite pasta sauce to it, simply by using the Instant Pot the same way we would the stove top.
We cook and drain the spaghetti, add our sauce, press the saute mode and stir till hot and cooked through.
You won't get a burn error using this method.
The burn error occurs most often during the pot pressuring stage OR once it starts cooking when there is a lot of thick dense liquid especially sitting at the base of the pot.
The Instant Pot will determine an issues that will cause the ingredients to burn, (burn notice) and change the display to reflect that.
It is something you will experience as you learn to master cooking in your Instant Pot, however, to begin I want to teach you the basics (so you get the hang of things 1st).
Instant Pot Spaghetti with Jar Sauce (no meat)
I recommend you start with a no meat based pasta sauce (you can use your favourite).
This is because I want to show you how to use both the pressure cooker mode and the saute mode and we want to keep everything really simple to execute those steps perfectly.
Ingredients for Simple Spaghetti and sauce
The ingredients you will need for this recipe are set out in the photo below. You might find you already have most of them at home!
This recipe calls for:
- dried spaghetti (can use whole meal or regular)
- pasta sauce (use your favourite)
- Parmesan cheese
- cracked pepper
- water (to cook the spaghetti)
- salt (same as traditionally cooking in boiling salted water)
I talk all about techniques and adding the pasta to the pot in a matter that won't make it overly mushy in my Instant Pot Spaghetti Noodles post. Check it out for tips, tricks and need to know info).
Easy jar sauce with Spaghetti in Instant Pot
We are going to cook our spaghetti as the 1st step in this recipe.
- Break the spaghetti in half, spread and place in pot (Photo 1)
- Pour in enough water to cover, I use 2 ½ cups in my 8 litre (8-quart pot) (Photo 2)
- Add a pinch of salt (Photo 3)
- Seal the lid and press the pressure cook mode (Photo 4)
Your Instant Pot will made a few sounds as you push buttons and seal the lid, this is normal!
- Ensure 'high pressure' is selected (Photo 5)
- Use the up and down buttons to set the timer (Photo 6)
Once the timer is set, the pot will self heat, it is fine to leave it at this point as it will also beep when finished so you know it is ready.
- Press the quick release button (Photo 7)
- Then remove lid and use heatproof mits to pull inner pot out (Photo 8)
Drain the cooked spaghetti over the sink and discard the water.
- Add your drained cooked spaghetti and pasta sauce to the pot and press the saute mode (Photo 9)
As the pot is already hot from when the spaghetti is cooked, it will heat very quickly.
- Stir the spaghetti sauce through the cooked spaghetti till consistently combined (Photo 10)
Much like cooking on the stove, there will be a little bit of sizzling going on and if you keep it moving, nothing will still to the pot.
Stir the sauce through the spaghetti and once hot (cooked through), plate and top with your favourites!
Try some parmesan cheese, cracked pepper and parsley!
Instant Pot Spaghetti with Jar Sauce Quick info
- This is a simple recipe to get you started with your Instant Pot
- We use both the pressure cook and saute modes
- This is a vegetarian recipe
- It will take less than 15 mins to cook
- It is normal for the post to heat once it is set, this takes approx 5 mins
FAQs about cooking Spaghetti with jar sauce in the Instant Pot
- You do need to break the spaghetti as you add it to the pot
- Push any pieces of pasta that are sticking up down into the water
- The pinch of salt is to season the spaghetti
- Use the basic formula of cooking pasta in the Instant Pot, which is referring to the packet instructions, diviing that by 2 and subtracting 1.
- It is normal you might hear some sounds as the pot pressurizes
- Simple press the saute button as you add the dried spaghetti back to the pot
- This is a freezer friendly recipe
- This is a family friendly recipe
I recommend using a no meat based sauce for the 1st time you cook this. There is so much excitement to cooking in an Instant Pot, you want to nail the basics firstly.
Instant Pot Spaghetti with easy sauce Pro tips:
- The 1st time you cook pasta in your Instant Pot choose a standard basic spaghetti
- Don't pour in too much water, it only needs to just cover the pasta
- The salt is optional
- If your packet instructions indicate a 12 min cook time, the Instant Pot cook time will be 5 mins.
- I find most spaghetti cooks perfectly in 4 mins (with a quick release at the end)
Pasta on your mind?
If the thought of carbs doesn't scare you then you will love to try a few of these recipes:
- Instant Pot Penne Pasta
- Instant Pot Spaghetti Bolognese
- Garlic Spaghetti
- Instant Pot Garlic Pasta
- Burst Cherry Tomato Pasta
- Ground Beef Casserole
- Tomato Mac and Cheese
- Blue Cheese Mac and Cheese
- Instant Pot Pasta Primavera
- Tuna Spaghetti
- Smoked Salmon Spaghetti
Once you have got the hang of things, you may like to try more advanced recipes. Find all levels of pasta cooking and recipes, here > Pasta recipes.
If you find a sauce that you love, you can use that and know that your 'too tired to cook' nights are sorted with this simple easy recipe.
The simplest of Spaghetti recipes
Spaghetti was the 1st thing we learnt to cook growing up and it is a handy one to master.
With an unlimited variety of endless possibilities, you don't have to go to Italy to feel that there is an Italian in your kitchen.
This one takes it back to the A-B-C of Instant Pot Spaghetti, or the 1-2 given there is really on the pressure cook and saute steps involved, the rest will happen naturally me.
If you make this recipe, I would love to hear your feedback in the comments below.
Spaghetti, sauce, a fork, what else do we need my friend.
- Instant Pot
- Wooden spoon
Instant Pot Spaghetti with Jar Sauce
- 500 grams dried spaghetti Note 1
- 400 grams spaghetti sauce
- 2 ½ cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Parmesan cheese to garnish
- Cracked pepper to garnish
- Parsley to garnish
Instant Pot Spaghetti with Jar Sauce
- Break spaghetti in half and add to the Instant Pot (stainless steel bowl).
- Pour in water to just cover and add salt.
- Put the lid on, turn to seal and press the pressure cook button, adjust the timer to 4 minutes (Note 2)
- Once the Instant Pot beeps to indicate the spaghetti is cooked, press the quick release button. Once the pot has depressurized, turn the lid and place in holder.
- Use oven mits to remove the inner pot and drain spaghetti into a colander
- Place the stainless steel pot back into the Instant Pot, press the saute mode and add drained spaghetti.
- Pour in spaghetti sauce and stir to combine till heated through
- Top with Parmesan cheese, cracked pepper and parsley
- Note 1 Spaghetti, Angel Hair Pasta, Fettucine and Linguine are all good choices for this recipe!
- Note 2 Refer to the packet instructions for the spaghetti cook time. Take the cook time, divide by 2 and subtract 1. Eg 10 mins, divided by 2 is 5, subtract 1 is 4 as in 4 mins cook time.