It is super quick to make Instant Pot Spaghetti noodles and I am going to show you exactly how to do it! No more standing at the stove waiting for water to boil, throw it all in, press a button and put your feet up!
This recipe is perfect for beginners as we take it back to (Instant Pot) Basics!
How do you cook Spaghetti Noodles in the Instant Pot?
To cook spaghetti noodles in the Instant Pot, you add the dried spaghetti (broken in half) to the inner pot, slightly separated.
Then your pour over enough water to just cover the spaghetti and add a pinch of salt. Next we seal the lid, press the pressure cook mode, set the level to high, indicate the cook time and the Instant Pot will easily cook the Spaghetti Noodles.
How long does it take to cook Spaghetti Noodles in an Instant Pot?
To cook Spaghetti Noodles in an Instant Pot, refer to the packet instructions of the spaghetti, divide that by 2 and subtract 1.
Pasta cooks a lot quicker in the Instant Pot to the stove, so it needs less cook time.
For example my dried Spaghetti packet indicated the cook time is 10 mins. Divided by 2 is 5, then I subtract 1 and get 4 mins.
It takes 4 mins to cook the spaghetti noodles at high pressure mode, using the pressure cooker function, followed by a quick release of pressure.
Can you cook dried pasta in an Instant Pot?
You can cook dried pasta in an Instant Pot and it is very easy to do so. We follow the packet instructions modify the time slightly for the Instant Pot and the pasta will cook easily.
What is the best way to cook Spaghetti Noodles?
The best way to cook Spaghetti Noodles is in a pot of boiling salted water.
The Instant Pot will do the boiling, we need to only add the dried spaghetti noodles, water and salt to the inner pot.
Ingredients to cook Spaghetti Noodles in an Instant Pot
The ingredients for this recipe are shown in the photo below, we use very simple basic ingredients for this recipe.
As you can see the recipe calls for:
- dried spaghetti noodles
- water (to cook the spaghetti)
- Parmesan cheese
- cracked pepper
This is the basics for what you will need to learn, understand, and master for Instant Pot Spaghetti recipes.
Method to Cook Spaghetti an Instant Pot
Start with your Instant Pot on a flat dry surface.
Take the Spaghetti, break it in ½ and use your fingers to slip it into the inner pot, separating the strands slightly as you go.
- Add broken in half spaghetti to inner pot (Photo 1)
- Pour in enough water to just cover the spaghetti (Photo 2)
- Add a pinch of salt (Photo 3)
- Press the Pressure Cook button (Photo 4)
One of the things I love about the Instant Pot is that it will make a few noises as you use it as it does the things to 'ask' it to do.
- Set the pressure to high pressure (Photo 5)
- Then set timer by using the up and down arrows (Photo 6)
Let the Instant Pot build to the right pressure, cook the pasta and then it will beep to let you know it is done (you can gently tap it and say thank-you if you want, I sometimes do, haha!)
- Press the quick release button and let the safety value deflate (Photo 7)
- Turn and remove the lid (watch for steam), and use oven mits to remove the inner pot, drain spaghetti into a colander (Photo 8)
Instant Pot Spaghetti Technique
Using different techniques will result in different textures of cooked pasta from the Instant Pot.
This is an important point, I want to talk to you about in more detail.
The manner in which you add your dried spaghetti to the pot, will make a difference to how it cooks.
I have taken the photos below to illustrate what I mean.
If you have a look in the photo on the left above, you will see that the spaghetti noodles are laid flat in both directions, reasonably close together.
If you have a look at the 2nd photo, you will see that the spaghetti noodles are criss crossed in diagonal directions.
The biggest thing to understand about the above is that the level of pasta in Image 1 has less depth than Image 2. This is important as it means that less water is needed to cook the spaghetti if it is added to the Instant Pot like the 1st image than the 2nd.
I like my Spaghetti with a bit of bite to it, this is perfect for recipes such as my Garlic Spaghetti. As this recipe is all about minimal ingredients and basic flavour combinations, we need to get the texture spot on.
Soft mushy over cooked spaghetti doesn't cut it.
The technique of adding the spaghetti to the Instant Pot in image 2 results in non al dente soft spaghetti that has no bite to it.
You can use either method but know up front what your options are and how it will effect the end result.
Instant Pot Spaghetti Noodles quick info
About the recipe:
- spaghetti is long thin and easy to cook
- adding a pinch of salt seasons the spaghetti for cooking
- to add flavour use your favourite sauce (after it is cooked)
- this is a super easy recipe method you can then take further
FAQs about cooking Spaghetti Noodles in an Instant Pot
- The spaghetti does need to be broken in ½ to fit into the pot
- Cover the spaghetti with water and add a pinch of salt
- The pot will automatically heat and come to pressure
- You may hear some bubbling/sizzling as the pot heats
- The release of pressure will come with a little bit of noise
Instant Pot Spaghetti Noodles Pro tips:
These additional tips are so that you can master spaghetti in your instant pot from the 1st time you cook it:
- Read my guide on al dente or soft to determine method for placing Spaghetti in pot
- The water only needs to just cover the pasta
- Use the quick release to release pressure and wait for safety value to drop before removing lid
- A heap of steam will puff up from the pot when you remove the lid, step back from it for this step
- The inner pot will be hot so use oven mits to remove it
If comfort food, carbs and pasta are your fav, try the following recipes:
- Instant Pot Penne Pasta
- Instant Pot Spaghetti Bolognese
- Garlic Spaghetti
- Instant Pot Spaghetti with Jar Sauce
- Burst Cherry Tomato Pasta
- Instant Pot Pasta Primavera
- Instant Pot Spaghetti with Meat Sauce
- Ground Beef Casserole
- Tomato Mac and Cheese
- Blue Cheese Mac and Cheese
- Tuna Spaghetti
- Tomato Spaghetti
- Smoked Salmon Spaghetti
Freezer friendly, mom friendly, kid friendly and easy, I have you covered with this recipe!
To indulge your waistline with carbs, take the time to find your favourite recipe here > pasta recipes.
Spaghetti Sauce (add your favourite)
This recipe is more of a tutorial on how to cook Spaghetti Noodles in your Instant Pot than it is a recipe as such.
I know some people who LOVE their spaghetti like this, but some like it saucy!
Instant Pot Spaghetti Noodles
- Instant Pot
- Oven Mits
Instant Pot Spaghetti Noodles
- 500 grams dried spaghetti Note 1
- 2 cups water Note 2
- 1 tsp salt Note 3
Instant Pot Spaghetti Noodles
- Add dried spaghetti to the stainless steel bowl (Note 4)
- Pour in enough water to just cover the spaghetti, add the salt
- Place the lid on and turn to seal. Press pressure cook, set the timer for 4 mins (Note 5)
- Once the Instant Pot beeps to indicate that the pasta is cooked, press the quick release button and allow pot to depressurize. Use oven mits to remove the inner stainless steel pot and use a colander to drain the spaghetti.
- Top with Parmesan cheese, parsley and cracked pepper to serve (Note 6 - sauce!!)
- Note 1 This recipe focuses on spaghetti noodles, however, it is entirely possible to cook other pasta in the Instant Pot too. Follow the general rule of following the packet instructions, divided by 2 minus one.
- Note 2 My Instant Pot is 8 litres (8-quart), I use 2 ½ cups of water when making spaghetti (just cooking the noodles) with no other liquid in the pot.
- Note 3 It is entirely optional if you want to add the pinch of salt to the water. As it is the traditional way to cook pasta on the stove ie pot of boiling salted water I do add it.
- Note 4 I talk about this in the post, but the manner in which you add your dried spaghetti to the Instant Pot will make a difference. The more spread out it is, the more water you will need to cover, the less spread out it is, the less water you will need, however, if you don't spread it out at all, it can clump together and not cook evenly, so there does need to be some technique involved.
- Note 5 My spaghetti packet indicates the total cook time for the noodles is 10 mins. So I divide this by 2 and get 5, then I subtract 1 to get 4 mins. Adjust this to follow your packet instructions.
- Note 6 Add dried pasta back to the Instant Pot, your favourite pasta sauce and press the saute button, stir till heated for a quick dinner.
Weeknight pasta recipes
I'm on the same page as you when it comes to busy, tired, lots to do, house, washing, STUFF!
That's why I share recipes like this with you so you don't have to completely loose your zen during the working week.
If you have questions, or make the recipe, please give me a shout, I would love to hear your feedback.
Spaghetti, your Instant Pot and with the push of a few buttons, its done my friend.