As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases (Disclosure)
Sometimes you need a little bacon and it helps if you have a fast way of cooking it! The Instant Pot (affiliate) is a super handy kitchen appliance to have and it is perfect for cooking bacon!
You might like to cook bacon for breakfast, for use in pasta, quiches, frittatas, a salad or plenty more recipes and I am going to show you a quick and easy way to do this using your Instant Pot.
Instant pot recipes like this save time, energy and effort! Make quick crispy bacon in minutes!
The Instant Pot is so handy for quick sauteing of ingredients, it is SO easy!
How to cook bacon in the Instant Pot?
To cook bacon in your instant pot, you need only the bacon and some oil. I like to use olive oil as I find the flavour enhances the saltiness of the bacon.
We use the saute function of the instant pot and the lid is off whilst we are cooking!
It is much the same as pan frying bacon on the stove top, but I also find it that bit easier, as it is all contained in the one pot and you only have that and a stirring utensil to clean up when you are done!
The saute function of the instant pot makes cooking quick and easy!
How long to cook bacon in the instant pot
Bacon will cook very quickly in the instant pot.
For small bacon bits or pieces it will take 3-5 mins for them to cook.
For streaky bacon it will take 5-6 mins or for extra crispy bacon it will take 8-10 mins.
Instant Pot Bacon ingredients
The process for cooking bacon pieces, short cut bacon or streaky bacon is exactly the same.
You can also cook frozen bacon in the instant pot. If you have little bits and pieces like the above, you can use your wooden spoon to break the whole big chunk of diced bacon apart as it cooks. It will take an extra few minutes to cook if you are starting with frozen bacon.
What to use bacon pieces for?
Diced bacon can be used in a variety of ways and is so versatile!
Some suggestions are:
- on pizza
- in a quiche or frittata
- as an omelette topping
- in pasta
- for making bacon jam
- in egg muffins
- for soup
- in salads
Instant Pot Bacon step by step instructions
The steps to make this recipe are outlined in the photos below.
Simply press the saute function on your instant pot, add your bacon, allow it to heat for a minute or so and use a wooden spoon or silicone utensil to stir it as you go.
- add olive oil, then bacon to the instant pot, saute for 3-4 mins (photos 1-4)
The bacon will be cooked after 3-4 mins. You can then use this for any number of recipes that need cooked bacon.
If you prefer streaky bacon, you can do that also, see the photos below:
- cut streaky bacon in half, add oil and saute for 5-6 mins (shown in photos 1-4)
If you prefer super crispy bacon, you will need to add a little bit more oil and cook it for longer, it is easy!
Breakfast of Champions, here we come!
When the bacon is cooked rest it on some paper towel to drain off any excess oil
Recipes with bacon:
Instant pot bacon quick info:
About the recipe:
- you need oil (olive is my favourite)
- we use 600 grams bacon pieces
- have a wooden or silicone utensil on hand as it won't scratch your pot
- this is a super quick recipe!
FAQs about cooking bacon in the Instant Pot
- the instant pot bowl is stainless steel (and not non stick)
- the oil stops the bacon from sticking
- it will take 3-5 mins for the bacon to cook
- you CAN cook frozen bacon (will take a little longer)
- you can freeze the cooked bacon bits
- this is a family friendly recipe
- This is an EASY recipe
Instant Pot Bacon Pro tips:
These additional tips are so that you can master bacon in your instant pot from the 1st time you cook it:
- allow the oil to heat in the pot for 1-2 mins before adding the bacon
- stir frequently to ensure consistently cooked bacon
- drain on paper towel to absorb any excess oil
To freeze the bacon, simply wait till it cools, then place in a zip lock bag in the freezer. To defrost, remove from freezer, leave in the fridge overnight or on the bench for faster defrosting. Once the bacon has been cooked and frozen, it won't be suitable to use for freezing again.
Salads like the Bacon Quinoa Salad shown in the photo below are recipes where you can use cooked bacon as a delicious easy ingredient!
Use your Instant Pot cooked bacon in the these recipes:
- Black Bean Quinoa Salad
- Shredded Brussel Sprouts Salad
- Thanksgiving Salad
- Edamame Quinoa Salad recipe
Purchase your own instant pot right here:
Instant Pot Bacon
- Instant Pot
Instant Pot Bacon
- 600 grams bacon bits Note 1, 2
- 1 tbsp olive oil
Instant Pot Bacon
- Turn Instant Pot (or pressure cooker) to saute mode for 10 mins.
- Add oil and allow to heat for 1-2 mins.
- Add diced bacon bits and use a wooden spoon to stir for 3-5 mins until cooked
- Press the cancel button to finish cooking and use a spoon to transfer to a plate with 2 sheets of paper towel
- Allow to sit for 1-2 mins then add to your favourite recipe or store in the freezer in zip locked bags.
- Note 1 You can purchase bacon bits (or pieces) from the deli section of your local Woolies or Coles. These are fresh and are perfect for adding to quiches, pasta and savory muffins. The other option is to buy them from the cold foods section of the store, where you will see them either in a resealable pack or 2 packet type.
- Note 2 You can also purchase short cut bacon and the used your food processor to dice it finely. Or cook bacon rashers as they are.
Cooking bacon in the instant pot is going to save you time and washing up (woot woot!).
Pick your favourite recipe that uses cooked bacon and get to it.
Please give me a shout if you have questions or make the recipe as I would love to hear your feedback.
I've got you covered for bacon in the instant pot and you will be bacon-on-ing up a storm (haha!!)